South esk

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
A rather large south esk yesterday. I had a run down it the day before and landed one lost one and seen plenty but the water was a good 5" lower and I think the fish had moved on yesterday. Even the resident croc in the crooked pool that I managed to hook the day before was away. Roll on spring.
20201030_160006.jpg
20201030_155956.jpg

westie4566

Reaction score
A puckle oh pics from my last day on the Southie on Thursday. Dave (Salar35) and I were up on Cortachy.

Scores on the doors, one lost for me in the Meetings and a wee one from Factors for Dave.
It was a bloody wet and miserable day but we really gave it our all. Only a few fish about tbh.
Daves fish.jpg
Dave DS.jpg
Dairy.jpg
meetings.jpg
C N.jpg
N Dairy.jpg

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
A puckle oh pics from my last day on the Southie on Thursday. Dave (Salar35) and I were up on Cortachy.

Scores on the doors, one lost for me in the Meetings and a wee one from Factors for Dave.
It was a bloody wet and miserable day but we really gave it our all. Only a few fish about tbh.
View attachment 51818View attachment 51819View attachment 51820View attachment 51821View attachment 51822View attachment 51823
I never fished cortachy this year. The best 2 pools right at the bottom are now kept for the owners sole use i believe. Put me off.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Lovel water, is that above Kintrockat House Brechin.

Sewinfly. ..........
Brechin is the lower part of the south esk with only 2 i think beats below before the basin at montrose. The first pics are way up Glen Clova much further up the Southie which is my Kirriemuir club waters. The next pics put up by westie are of cortachy beat which is the next beat below Kirriemuir club water. A chunk of Cortchy is canyon like with high rock faces and deep pools. Kirriemuir is generally quite a small river best suited to the single hander but holds fish from may till now with average fish about 10lb but some big boys too. My pal had a croc this time last year about 25lb on a 10ft trout rod. Good sport. Also a great stretch for sea trout with a load of 4lbers landed this season

sewinfly

Reaction score
Fished the private water several times at Colin Sandemans Kintrockat House, just outside Brechin and below Derby AA?
There was a dam and a fish pass there at the top of the beat.
It was breached badly several years ago and emptied the holding pool above the Dam.

Good 9 hour drive for me it was.
Went to Glen Clova Hotel for soup and drinks,very nice to once.

Enjoyed several years there and my brother in laws family probably fished there for over fifty years or more.
Hopefully get back there one day.

Spencer. ............

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Fished the private water several times at Colin Sandemans Kintrockat House, just outside Brechin and below Derby AA?
There was a dam and a fish pass there at the top of the beat.
It was breached badly several years ago and emptied the holding pool above the Dam.

Good 9 hour drive for me it was.
Went to Glen Clova Hotel for soup and drinks,very nice to once.

Enjoyed several years there and my brother in laws family probably fished there for over fifty years or more.
Hopefully get back there one day.

Spencer. ............
I'm not familiar with that beat mate. I can fish the southie at Brechin on my Brechin ticket and get on upper Kinnaird the beat below if its not booked on fishpal. My Brechin ticket also gives me the west water a trib of the North esk. A nightmare to learn and fish but a wee gem.
I'd happy take you out on any of these beats as a guest cheap as chips if your up this way Spencer.
Cheers Gordon

sewinfly

Reaction score
Hi Gordon

Thanks and appreciated, might hold you to that (y) have some great photos of the beat to.
Remember fishing once must of been the last week of the season.
It was dark and the rod rings were freezing in the guides literally.
There was a splash at the end of Bench Pool and saw what looked a silver fish.
My bro-in-law did not feel well and he went back to the house.

Worked my way down the pool and covered the fish and landed a fresh off the tide fish maybe 6 pounds.

Great feeling as they don't always have to be big to be appreciated.

These pics were a few years ago I might add ;)
Great river

Spencer. ..........

2007_1024dads0223-1.JPGBenchPoolS-EskOct2008.jpg

Attachments

• 2007_1024dads0221-1.JPG
    2007_1024dads0221-1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Hi Gordon

Thanks and appreciated, might hold you to that (y) have some great photos of the beat to.
Remember fishing once must of been the last week of the season.
It was dark and the rod rings were freezing in the guides literally.
There was a splash at the end of Bench Pool and saw what looked a silver fish.
My bro-in-law did not feel well and he went back to the house.

Worked my way down the pool and covered the fish and landed a fresh off the tide fish maybe 6 pounds.

Great feeling as they don't always have to be big to be appreciated.

These pics were a few years ago I might add ;)
Great river

Spencer. ..........

View attachment 51919
Its great having both esks 40 mins from my door.
I know the ghillies on the North esk too. A great bunch of lads. I can get you on Kinnaber a night cheap as chips for the sea trout too. Its lower north esk close to the sea and can be fantastic for sea trout. Although no done it much myself but I bet its right down your street. Boys were nailing the sea trout and salmon on the hitch at night I believe.