Sound of an old reel...can't whack it .

Chicharito

Reaction score
Good video.
Used to watch the fish trying to get over the weir on the Wooler Water in Wooler (tributary of the Till). Given water in November you would see loads of fish. I was up this week and never saw a one and conditions were perfect. How times have changed in a few short years.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Good video.
Used to watch the fish trying to get over the weir on the Wooler Water in Wooler (tributary of the Till). Given water in November you would see loads of fish. I was up this week and never saw a one and conditions were perfect. How times have changed in a few short years.

Yes...This river is a far cry from what it used to be too.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Believe this or not but the owners of this weir poisoned the river and were facing massive fines.

So the TC and the likes agreed or probably suggested that they put a fish counter in instead of spending the money on modifying the weir.

Some fish do get over the sides in certain heights but very few now that the pillars have been worn away .

They do go through the pass...but not all of them find it...as you can see.

Fish counter= waste of money and a missed opportunity for the improvement of the river.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I had a cardinal 55 and a 157 which i used for worming and shrimping back in the day , absolutely loved the drags on these reels and perfect sound when playing a fish. Unfortunately the 55 was stolen and the 157 i still have kicking about but bail arm mechanism goosed. For fly fishing my best sound is my Hardy Bougle then my murray stewart. The bougle absolutely screams when a fish runs.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I had a cardinal 55 and a 157 which i used for worming and shrimping back in the day , absolutely loved the drags on these reels and perfect sound when playing a fish. Unfortunately the 55 was stolen and the 157 i still have kicking about but bail arm mechanism goosed. For fly fishing my best sound is my Hardy Bougle then my murray stewart. The bougle absolutely screams when a fish runs.

Do you still use those reels or use a modern one ?

ArchieL

Reaction score
Do you still use those reels or use a modern one ?

The Cardinal 55 got stolen . The 157 bail arm keeps flipping over during casting so i took it to bits and noticed a flat edged piece inside the arm had worn smooth so was not holding bail arm back properly, i then lost the pieces when i moved house. I now use 2 x shimano's for braid spinning and they are top end reels which are a dream to use. I am thinking and noticing IMO that i have been losing more fish when using this braid. Before i would not even have worried about it but during this lean time i have maybe over analyzed it so i had planned to go back to mono which means these small spool shimano's cannot take the mono. I have to say though i do not think i will be buying 2 x spinning reels as i have promised what salmon rods + reels i have will do me unless the runs improve. I am spending less and less time on the rivers due to no fish and getting scunnered fishing prime beats at prime times with perfect water and not seeing or touching a fish.

Now if someone told me we were going back to being able to shrimp and fish the worm as long as we returned all the fish and used circle hooks etc then i would rush out and buy 2 x new reels. As it is i am mostly fly fishing on empty rivers.

sewinfly

Reaction score

I still use my 55's for fishing,be it mullet on the float,chub spinning for salmon and sewin, touch ledgering with a purple number.

Still great to use and good drags

Sewinfly...............

G

guest2938

Brilliant Footage

As always, great footage Colin.

What fly/s did the damage?

DCH

Rennie

Reaction score
I don't know how you do it lefthand up!,more Peachy than a load of the freshest Peachy Peach's that one can buy.Exceedingly green with envy!.
Pedro.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Right place at the right time and there's a few more going about this year.

Every fish on the Ghillie fly bar one which was taken on a size 16 stoats tail.

G

guest2938

You take the good with the bad

One of the few highlights of this forum your videos, from clearly a very good angler so my respect. Also a sad indictment that more members dont acknowledge them.

DCH

lefthandup

Reaction score
You take the good with the bad

One of the few highlights of this forum your videos, from clearly a very good angler so my respect. Also a sad indictment that more members dont acknowledge them.

DCH

Cheers DCH....I'm not bothered about acknowledgment .
Hope it brings a bit of reality to this place..my next move is improving the sound by erasing my breathing during the filming.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I had a hold of a real good fish the other night but lost it after it woke up and put my line under a rock.
I probably shouldn't have held my ground and moved down the pool a bit.
This fish was fairly lacklustre until this point.
Wake up call - YouTube

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Cracking vids lefthandup :thumb: thank's for taking the time to post them