Sorting one's self out!

Rennie

Reaction score
So, I have a way of fishing for Salmon, its comfy for me, flexible, and works most places I fish.
However I have to date limited night fishing experience for Sea Trout and can't get settled with a methodology that works for me. I favour polys in my Salmon approach and am looking for the same with Sea Trout, there's some Vision 7ft jobs with 15lb B.S that look the part as I want and need a mobile flexible approach for my club water -not a two rod approach!.
I've read and absorbed Falkus but feel I need a differing approach and am drawn to Moc Morgan and Graham Harris's writings especially on fishing pots and such like for the bigger fish or indeed to catch fish in the 1st place.
In my essentially Salmon fishing approach, when on Spey, Dee etc I simply lash on a bigger Silver Stoats tube/waddie as the light go's and fish the pool tails or heads of streams and get an odd fish or so.However on Ribble I'm getting a fishy two fins waved at me.I've tried my Towy approach of an inty. line and varying size tubes or surface lure's n the floater and still returning nowt.
So, we could say nows as good a time as any to learn and to get myself settled. I'll be honest, I feel its a case of getting myself focused and maybe a touch more self confidence!.
If I tip up with just the Sea Trout gear, there'll be no distractions of Salar- because I always fail at that hurdle!, every time I get side tracked, and I want to try and sort a plan or approach out with minimal distractions, utilising just more perseverance!.
As it'll be dark ( ha!, brilliant as ever! ) I can't see past silver Stoats Tails in various sizes/profiles ( simple is as simple does like me! ) and intend the std approach of pool tails 1st off, before moving to the deeper pots and dubs and getting down and dirty.
Suffice to say I've the gear, its just the idea thats delivering short so far.
A nudge or boot in the general direction would not go amiss,lol, but untill it pours it down I intend giving it a go!
Pedro.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Rio scandi intermediate versatip seems to present the fly perfect for sea trout I found ...for day light fishing anyway.. I didn't fish any other line last season and had 27 ST but this season I've only fished the floating tip and have had one ST but more salmon though...but then my mate fishes a long leader on a 10ft 4# footing line with 6lb floro always at dusk and hooks a number of sea trout on a size 14 black Penel just stripped under the surface in the margins , he landed an 8lb fish on this set up last week but has lost loads I would guess that most of those where salmon though.

Loxie

Reaction score
Stefan Jones's book is really very well worth reading. Also the Sea Trout Forum is a great deal more lively these days and I'm sure you will get good advice there.

I would suggest you just pick a good pool, with maybe a run above, and learn to fish it well. Find out what tactics work on your river before branching out too far, but don't listen to me: I routinely take 4 rods!!

kimbo

Reaction score
I find Pedro that what works for you doesn't always work for someone else.
Keep it simple, The West country rivers are quite prolific for seatrout, I use a straight through 8lb fluorocarbon on s 10 ft rod.
My go to flies are a g and h sedge fished dry, doubles as a wake fly and then Teal blue and silver, Alexander and butcher. I used to use tubes but prefer the more traditional approach with a point fly and dropper.
I Fished the oak pool on the abercothi one year and had 15 seatrout on the sedge, wonderful fishing, sometimes they were spectacular takes other times s very gentle sip.
Also a black muddler on the top dropper fished slow figure of eight as well

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
What you really need is some local knowledge from someone who fishes the Ribble. Loxie has recommended Stefan Jones' book to you and it is really very good. Stefan will tell you that the same tactics work everywhere - they do for him because he is a highly talented and very experienced seatrout fisherman. For us ordinary mortals life isn't so simple. For me depth matters as does fly size and i can get it right one night and struggle the next. I also think you do need a little more variety with flies, don't confuse yourself with lots but sometimes a different profile works so for example an alexandra which tends to be more bushy and your silver stoat which tends to be slimmer. I always carry a couple of surface lures. Finally from me, you have to lose some flies on the far bank and in the trees there. If you don't cast to the far bank where I fish you are wasting your time most of the time.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I'd always give a surface lure a go. Can be very exciting and visual and stir fish up that you didn't know were there. The best seatrout anglers (not me !) tend to be flexible and will switch flies, depth e.t.c. until they find what the fish want on the night.

Sash

Reaction score
The biggest change to my fishing for sewin has come after reading Stefan Jones’ excellent book.

Before that, I fished a single fly only: Black & Silver, Medicine etc. And I caught some fish.

But now I invariably fish with a dropper, and put on it either a Muddler of some sort or a more heavily-dressed palmer-type of fly. And my catch rate has gone up (a bit), with fish split pretty evenly between the point fly (no change there - your Stoats Tails will do fine) and droppers.

I do this irrespective of the line I fish: floater, sink tip, or intermediate.