Some thoughts for 2021 - feedback please

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Let me know lads and lassies if I can help the boys out with a prize for a months winner, I personally donโ€™t tie flyโ€™s but love to look over such works of art that you just somehow know that, that certain flea would lift you a fish in that wee bit of water that you know.

Beel

Reaction score
I know it has already been mentioned, but think the idea of some flies donated by by tiers for the competition, as a prize for voters is a good idea.
I'm not sure what data Iain can see from the polls, but maybe a prize for voting for the most 1st places across the year, this might encourage more voters to vote every month.

ryan houston

Reaction score
I know it has already been mentioned, but think the idea of some flies donated by by tiers for the competition, as a prize for voters is a good idea.
I'm not sure what data Iain can see from the polls, but maybe a prize for voting for the most 1st places across the year, this might encourage more voters to vote every month.
i think the choice needs to be impartial otherwise voters would wait and see who is in the lead and then skew the result by adding more votes to make a runnaway leader also risks the same person being chosen every month

just register a vote then pull a month out of a hat and a voter from that month at random

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Well folks, I have enjoyed following this thread and I guess the addition of a dedicated Tie of the Year kind of followed on from
my post relating to the fly I would happily use all year round which excluded other works of art like McAndy's attempt at a postmodernistic sculpture.:D
So, as a wee gesture and to encourage all tyers to aspire to 1st place in the T.O.T.Y. competition, I put up the whisky (note the spelling SnapT)
as shown below as 2nd prize to Mows Fabulous Fettercairn that he keeps telling me about so that people will work harder to avoid not winning.:D
Joking aside, I wouldn't mind if it were used as an individual category prize, maybe for one specifically requiring a fly that would work in brackish waters of Western Isles estuaries like Amhuinnsuidhe or Donnie W's Garranahyne sea pool?
I'm sure that would throw up some interesting creations?

View attachment 55161
That is a brilliant offer thank you and I think the suggestion for the theme is very apt and will be taken forward. Thank you!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
i think the choice needs to be impartial otherwise voters would wait and see who is in the lead and then skew the result by adding more votes to make a runnaway leader also risks the same person being chosen every month

just register a vote then pull a month out of a hat and a voter from that month at random
You don't need to worry about that Ryan because until you have voted you cannot see the result and once your vote is registered it can't be changed, BUT...my concern that would be that even without knowing which is winning, it could drive votes towards the fly that a voter thinks is most likely to win as opposed to the one that they best like. Soooooo.....

Final (?) Proposal
Entrants select which if any of their flies they wish to add to the prize and send them to me in one go at the end of the year. No pressure to submit all or any of the flies entered - it is purely at the discretion of the each entrant.

The prize is selected as a lucky draw open to all participants. Each months entry = one entry to the prize draw i.e, enter 10 times and your name goes in the draw 10 times.

This means everyone has a chance to win something with your chance improving the more times you enter and so encourages engagement eve nif you don't think you will place in any months theme.

Hows that sound?