Some thoughts for 2021 - feedback please

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Having pondered last year I have some suggestions and would welcome everyone’s thoughts.

Scoring
Given the consistent level of entry and general high standards I’d like to suggest extending the scoring to the top 6 places. This may encourage participation too as there is more chance of gaining some points. Points would be awarded as follows: 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1

Prizes
I was really disappointed not to have been able to secure sponsors although there was some initial and quite strong interest. I suspect that with the loss of sales this year that could be even less likely!

Ryan has already said that he would be willing to donate one of his Classic flies as a prize. That is an amazing offer given the time and cost of producing those beauties. However, I’d like it check that everyone ishappy with that as he also joins the competition. I am totally supportive but feel it only fair to ask you all.

I would also like to ask if anyone would be willing to donate any materials which could compiled into a prize or two - I’m assuming some may be sponsored and so other than postage would be free?

Are there any other thoughts on improving the competition?

Thanks,
Iain

SnapT14

Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy but my family run a well known cigar/fine spirits company who sell top end stuff all over the world. I will offer a bottle of whisky ( which won't be your everyday stuff ) as he tends to sell quirky brands from some of the lesser known distilleries all over the country. On top of that, he has offered to personally engrave a silver hip flask to go with it with the details of the winner as something to remember it by.

So basically, the prize will be....

A bottle of the finest along with a little hip flask.

Let me know if of interest......🍺

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Having pondered last year I have some suggestions and would welcome everyone’s thoughts.

Scoring
Given the consistent level of entry and general high standards I’d like to suggest extending the scoring to the top 6 places. This may encourage participation too as there is more chance of gaining some points. Points would be awarded as follows: 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1

Prizes
I was really disappointed not to have been able to secure sponsors although there was some initial and quite strong interest. I suspect that with the loss of sales this year that could be even less likely!

Ryan has already said that he would be willing to donate one of his Classic flies as a prize. That is an amazing offer given the time and cost of producing those beauties. However, I’d like it check that everyone ishappy with that as he also joins the competition. I am totally supportive but feel it only fair to ask you all.

I would also like to ask if anyone would be willing to donate any materials which could compiled into a prize or two - I’m assuming some may be sponsored and so other than postage would be free?

Thanks,
Iain

Extending the points sounds like a good idea. The other thing you could consider - is make the Fly of the Year a standalone comp - ie. that doesn’t add to the overall points ( it’s purely a celebration of what the forum thinks is the best fly) - ideally with prize..

Unless you get a top 10 entry - you are effectively shut out of the points for Dec. There were some folk last year who got in the 2nds and 3rds and scored quite well - but never got a first - and the Dec foty pushed them down the ranks.

Its hard enough to win a monthly comp. so the FOTY is the extra bonus for making it - so I can see the flip side of the argument. Encourages tyers to try and get to the winners circle.

thats one suggestion.

I’d be happy to put a modest amount of cash toward a fishing voucher ( like GAC or one of Norris’ infamous bargain sales) or something like that. If a few of us did it - then it would be enough for a prize. I’m not saying big bucks and voluntary so no one feels pressured. I know that’ll cause headaches for how it’s administered - but that’s an option.

Regards, Patrick

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy but my family run a well known cigar/fine spirits company retailing all over the world. I will offer a bottle of whiskey ( which won't be standard stuff ) as he tends to sell quirky brands from some of the lesser known distilleries. On top of that, he has offered to personally engrave a silver hip flask to go with it with the details of the winner as something to remember it by.

Let me know if of interest......
Lol - can you retrofit it for the 2020 comp 😂😂😂

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score

Scoring

Prizes

Thanks,
Iain
All great ideas Iain.
I don't participate but love seeing all these amazing fly tiers creations and I would be up for a small donation too for a prize.
I think Ryan and now his young lad should be welcomed as its not only great to see a professionals work but gives everyone some inspiration and brings something special to the competition.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy but my family run a well known cigar/fine spirits company who sell top end stuff all over the world. I will offer a bottle of whiskey ( which won't be your everyday stuff ) as he tends to sell quirky brands from some of the lesser known distilleries all over the country. On top of that, he has offered to personally engrave a silver hip flask to go with it with the details of the winner as something to remember it by.

Let me know if of interest......🍺
Great idea and very generous Nathan.
Good job that man

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I'm sure the owners should be able to source something for a prize, they seem to manage to do it to the tune of $150 a month for caption of the month on FFF

I don't mind putting towards a tackle shop voucher like Patrick says 👍

Or how about donate the fly that you've tyed to iain for TOTM and use them for prizes

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I'm sure the owners should be able to source something for a prize, they seem to manage to do it to the tune of $150 a month for caption of the month on FFF

Or how about donate the fly that you've tyed to iain for TOTM and use them for prizes
Great idea Arnold

Woodsy

Reaction score
Very kind to see prizes offered so far.

Already looking forward to February

Two amazing ideas!

I'm also happy to chip in if everyone is throwing in for a kitty prize.

mc andy

Reaction score
Totm (to me anyway). Is about taking part, just getting a couple of votes is reward enough. Points changes sounds fair enough iain but if it ain't broken why fix. More of the same please.

Cheers andy

Last edited:

Pete V

Reaction score
I have only recently joined the forum and have not had the opportunity to vote or comment on the competition.
My fly tying is nowhere near the levels displayed here so there is no chance that I will be entering.

If I may I would like to make a few comments.

First I think the work done by Iain in organising this all is super and I think we should all be very grateful to him.

In this years competition there have been all sorts of different flies competing. I personally don't see how it is possible to compare shrimp flies with Scandinavian style tubes and classic salmon and virus flies. I believe that if possible there should be different categories and prizes for each category. It cannot be right to compare flies that can be tied in a few minutes with fly that may take many hours if not days to tie.

I would be prepared to put up the odd bottle of top notch German wine as a prize. I only need to work out how to get it to you from Germany.

Pete

Andrzej

Reaction score
Good idea with those points for the top 6 Iain. I also like the idea given by Patrick to separate the fly of the year from the tie of the month. I'd be happy to donate some cash for a fishing voucher, and to tie a few flies as some addition to prizes :) I'm glad that we've got quite a few folks taking participation in the TOTM, maybe some prizes will bring more people in.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback and thoughts so far. To summarise and add my thoughts.

Cash donations
I did consider suggesting the idea but feel that it could put people off and even lead to a degree of hard feeling. Therefore while I can see the positives too, it is not an idea that I am comfortable to take forward. Thank you for all the offers to contribute cash though.

Donation of Hip Flask and Booze to go with it.
Just wow Nathan, that would be amazing. If you could follow that up I would be very grateful (As will the winner). We could possibly name the competition after their company if wanted as was done with Speybrothers in 2019.

Extending the points to 6th place
I will take that forward.

Fly of the Year
The same thought had crossed my mind. I will therefore separate that out as suggested.

peteV offer of a bottle
Thanks Pete that is very generous and would be gratefully received. However, given BREXIT that could work out to be very expensive on postage! I therefore feel it would be unfair to take you up on the offer

Fly Donation
I like that idea. If people are happy to donate flies tied for the competition then they could be sent to me at the end of the year and I would then put them together and send them on to the recipient(s). This would be at the discretion of each entrant, each month.

Have I missed anything? Does anyone disagree with my thoughts?

Thanks,
Iain

ryan houston

Reaction score
I'm all for the extra placing points I think it makes it fairer and more inclusive

i would reduce the monthly entry points to 1 or 2 points as having entered every month in 2020 44 points would have put you in about tenth place without ever placing but guys like Aodhan came in late won 2 in a row and wouldnt have beaten you 11 or 22 points seems fairer and gives someone who wins a couple a more representative total

i also suggest that some of us who enter should donate some fishing flies which could be a VOTERS prize or prizes to keep up interest and voter participation and possibly draw in extra voters and interest from the general forum, then in december choose a month/ months at random and choose a voter/ voters at random id suggest they should register their vote as a comment on each monthly poll this way regular voting like regular participation would put you in the hunt i think the voters would really appreciate the chance to actually fish with some of the flies they are voting for

i think Decembers FOTY should be a standalone comp and no points awarded if we did have more than one prize available then maybe one for the overall winner and one for the FOTY at very least i would not award entry points for the december comp, another option would be to award placing points form 1st to 11th

regards comparing different fly styles I dont think its possible to fracture the competition into multiple streams and in fact the range of topics and styles across the year is what makes the competition unique I could have entered more classics throughout the year but i knew that i needed to appeal to guys that vote for a fly theyd fish more this year than perhaps i have done in the past, so when i did choose to put in the evangeline i knew that it had to be a special fly to sway those who would normally not vote for that type of fly or for me so I for one really enjoy seeing a templedog go up against a wake fly and a shrimp and a lough style fly etc and long may it continue

good to see lots of interest in the competition and participation in this debate on the rules and regs thanks Iain for organising everything

SnapT14

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback and thoughts so far. To summarise and add my thoughts.

Cash donations
I did consider suggesting the idea but feel that it could put people off and even lead to a degree of hard feeling. Therefore while I can see the positives too, it is not an idea that I am comfortable to take forward. Thank you for all the offers to contribute cash though.

Donation of Hip Flask and Booze to go with it.
Just wow Nathan, that would be amazing. If you could follow that up I would be very grateful (As will the winner). We could possibly name the competition after their company if wanted as was done with Speybrothers in 2019.

Extending the points to 6th place
I will take that forward.

Fly of the Year
The same thought had crossed my mind. I will therefore separate that out as suggested.

peteV offer of a bottle
Thanks Pete that is very generous and would be gratefully received. However, given BREXIT that could work out to be very expensive on postage! I therefore feel it would be unfair to take you up on the offer

Fly Donation
I like that idea. If people are happy to donate flies tied for the competition then they could be sent to me at the end of the year and I would then put them together and send them on to the recipient(s). This would be at the discretion of each entrant, each month.

Have I missed anything? Does anyone disagree with my thoughts?

Thanks,
Iain
No problem Iain. I've already discussed it and we feel it will be best to decide on the whiskey later in the year when he orders his Christmas stock, which incidentaly coincides with the end of the 2021 comp.
There really is no need to name the comp after the business, but thanks for the offer.

willmorris

Reaction score
No problem Iain. I've already discussed it and we feel it will be best to decide on the whiskey later in the year when he orders his Christmas stock, which incidentaly coincides with the end of the 2021 comp.
There really is no need to name the comp after the business, but thanks for the offer.
Sounds great, started at the tail end of last year so only managed a handful of rounds. Super keen to get an entry in every month this year, thanks for organising!

keirstream

Reaction score
Well folks, I have enjoyed following this thread and I guess the addition of a dedicated Tie of the Year kind of followed on from
my post relating to the fly I would happily use all year round which excluded other works of art like McAndy's attempt at a postmodernistic sculpture.:D
So, as a wee gesture and to encourage all tyers to aspire to 1st place in the T.O.T.Y. competition, I put up the whisky (note the spelling SnapT)
as shown below as 2nd prize to Mows Fabulous Fettercairn that he keeps telling me about so that people will work harder to avoid not winning.:D
Joking aside, I wouldn't mind if it were used as an individual category prize, maybe for one specifically requiring a fly that would work in brackish waters of Western Isles estuaries like Amhuinnsuidhe or Donnie W's Garranahyne sea pool?
I'm sure that would throw up some interesting creations?

Prize.jpg

SnapT14

Reaction score
Well folks, I have enjoyed following this thread and I guess the addition of a dedicated Tie of the Year kind of followed on from
my post relating to the fly I would happily use all year round which excluded other works of art like McAndy's attempt at a postmodernistic sculpture.:D
So, as a wee gesture and to encourage all tyers to aspire to 1st place in the T.O.T.Y. competition, I put up the whisky (note the spelling SnapT)
as shown below as 2nd prize to Mows Fabulous Fettercairn that he keeps telling me about so that people will work harder to avoid not winning.:D
Joking aside, I wouldn't mind if it were used as an individual category prize, maybe for one specifically requiring a fly that would work in brackish waters of Western Isles estuaries like Amhuinnsuidhe or Donnie W's Garranahyne sea pool?
I'm sure that would throw up some interesting creations?

View attachment 55161
Must be because I'm not a WHISKY drinker .. 😃

I must get so e practice in to see if I cant develop a liking.....