Snowbee XS-P Spey

beanieboy

Reaction score
Despite Snowbee being one of the best known brand names here in the UK, I hear little or no mention of their XS-P Spey range. It got a superb review on the speypages site, described as one of the best rods they had ever used. Anyone actually use one of these?

betanut

Reaction score
Very briefly had a hurl with one and I liked it as rod to use although the finish was... well.... rough. Cork finish wasn't very good (loads of filler) and the rings looked like they'd been araldited on by a 3 year old :eek:
A great shame as I'm generally a very big fan of their products :( Their reels and lines are usually about as good as you'll get but it seems to me they've had some issues with quality control on the rods. I seem to remember being told another company uses very similar (if not the same?) blanks but I don't recall the name - I'd have a Snowbee blank and build up a rod. However, even at the semi-reasonable price they are (and based only on the example I tried) I'd give it a miss :eek:

Springer

Reaction score
I have had quite a few casts with the ER, Macsalmo has one.

I like the rod a lot, I would describe the action as fast and not dissimilar to my LPXe in the sense that although it bends primarily in the top half you can feel whats happening right into the but. It not as light as an LPXe but would probably handle a mid belly sinker better.

The cork is acceptable but as Hamish says, not the best. Some people might not like the rather thin handle which for your top hand cant be much more than 25mm in diamater.

It casts beautifully with the Monteith 10/11 and will handle from shooting heads to 75' ers.

I think the reason it isn't so popular is its price which is a little step for a 'Snowbee' rod. However once you have cast it, it would appear to be worth the money IMHO.

colliedog

Reaction score
Had quite a few goes with the 14 and 15 footers not long after they came out. General consensus at that time were they were intended to copy the respective Sage Euros and do this pretty well (may make them candidates for holding up the peas in some peoples minds though;)).

I found them good casting tools, especially paired with the respective snowbee lines. Was disappointed with the build quality - cork and varnish tend to look quite sorry quite quickly. Hence would say slightly over-priced.

Came close to buying a 14 footer but never quite convinced myself. Would probalby look towards the guidelines now as they seem to have taken this price range a step forward.

Regards

CD

John McElroy

Reaction score
I have used the 15 footer for the last 4 years.It is a cracking rod in most situations but unfortunately does not handle lines likke the wetcel 2 very well.Under my former guise as windcutter i borrowed the Drury multi tip from the line pool to use on the lower tay in august.The set up was fantastic.:D
Everyone who has had a throw with the rod has been impressed by it.As for the cosmetics it seems fine to me.After 4 years though it looks like it's seen some action,perhaps it's now got a little more character than it had at the start of it's life.
I had the daiwa altmor s before and would never go back.
The 14 footer is also a cracker when set up with the 2d line loaded onto a marquis no2.It fishes well all day.
If anyone fancies a shot next season just let me know and i'll be happy to hook up
cheers
john

Micha

Reaction score
Hi,

don't know their heavier rods, but I like my little XS-P Torridge very much. The finish is ok (I've seen some rods which looked more unattractive and they where more expensive) and I like its casting potential. Handles everything from DTs, short belly speylines AND shooting heads, absolutely perfect with Vision ACEs and Guideline PTs cut to 23 Grams.

Cheers,
Michael

buncranabop

Reaction score
Snowbee Diamond spey

I have been looking at these these rods recently and I am interested in hearing anything you might know about either the 12' 6/7 or the 12'6 7/8. Ive been told these rods are identical to the older xsp with a new look, is this true?? All replies are appreciated.

pellinore

Reaction score
yeah they are just the same only nicer fittings
try one size up on the scandinavian full spey line or go with a rio afs or outbound

pellinore

Reaction score
Sounds good, im looking for a small shooting head rod, have you used these rods yourself pellinore and if so what are your thoughts on performance, thanks

they are great as I say I use a afs 7/8 on my 7/8 diamond (old tamar) and it flies out
the afs lines have more grams than the snowbee scandinavian line which is supposed to match the rod

the americans used to rave about the snowbees before there were alternatives on the market

fishing sanny

Reaction score
I've had the 13' and 15' Snowbee Xsp's for 4 years now and think they are as good if not better than some of the rods twice their price. Yep the cork might not be the best I've seen but for the money they are well worth investing in.
Handles everything from DTs, short belly speylines and shooting heads, I personelly use the Rio AFS Outbound with mine and they just fly through the rings.
Oh! and there are a good few ghillies from the Tay and Dee to the Tweed who have tried rod and line combination and just loved how it performed with ease.
FS

Last edited:

buncranabop

Reaction score
Thanks lads, sounds like just what im looking for, now I have to ask myself do I want a 6/7 or 7/8. Im after a medium sized river grilse rod and I would love to think the 6/7 will do the trick, hmmm I wonder. Cheers

beanieboy

Reaction score
I had the 15' XSP and the 14' Diamond - both powerful rods with a firm progressive action. They need lines at the upper end of their rating. Cork on the XSP was awful, worst I've ever seen - great blanks though. The Diamond, as stated above, has the same blank with better fittings - cork is still not great.

Ciarán

Reaction score
Worst cork i've come across....had the cork on an XSP spey explode..

Just recieved a new 10 foot diamond a couple of weeks ago as the cork on the previous rod split...was using it yesterday and the this one split as well..after 3 weeks use. Poor.