Snowbee Switch Lines

GaryBell

Reaction score
HI All,

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, Has anybody on the forum had the chance to try any of the new Snowbee Switch Lines ?

The reason I'm asking is, I've just got a new Sage TCX 11'9'' #8 Switch and would really appreciate any feedback on them.

Regards,

Gary

rrw35

Reaction score
Saw them in the new catalogue Gary.

I am using a Rio Outbound short in an 8 on my loop opti switch rod.

We'll get a casting meet at Shaws Bridge sometime.;)

JulyTourist

Reaction score
There is a new Orvis line designed for their Switch Rods, pricey tho at £70. Interesting debate as to what line is best to suit a Switch rod. I had thought a heavy WF like the Sewin Castor or 40+ but a rod manufacturer thought not. Any ideas folks? Might be worth a thread of its own....

GaryBell

Reaction score
Hi Ryan, shaws bridge sounds good too me

I've seen the Orvis switch heads on thier web site, again don't know anything more about them

loughman

Reaction score
At £70 its a costly gamble ;)

For a cheap option try some cheapie mill ends.Thats what Im doing.I might just learn a bit more about lines along the way without hurting my pocket:D

Note: theres a load of cheap under a tenner digital scales on the internet which measure grains,grams,ounces etc. Hope this helps.

hingin

Reaction score
switch lines

Hi

Rio has a new swith line out aswell it comes as a
55ft head 15ft of this is rear taper is retailing at 74.99
though but can,t go far wrong with Rio lines.

hingin

GaryBell

Reaction score
HI All,

I'm just after speaking to Snowbee and got the information I was looking for on the new switch line.

The heads on these lines range from 26'-27' from the lowest grain weight SF200 (#3/4) up to 31' for the highest grain weight SF450 (#8/9)

They will be available at the end of March/early April

Thanks for all your help

Regards,

Gary

SP8

Reaction score
Hi

hingin

You may be right about Rio lines but at that price (and the Orvis) I won't be finding out. Somebody is seriously taking the proverbial here. Once again the manufacturers think that if the magic word "salmon" is involved then pockets suddenly become bottomless.

SP8

easky

Reaction score
for an 11ft switch it seems something around the 33ft mark is the what you are looking in terms of head length. The Snowbee looks pretty good in this respect although when you start to add tips it may throw things a little. I suppose there is only one way to find out though and thats to either borrow one or take the plunge!

rrw35

Reaction score
The Rio Outbound Short is excellent for switch casting.

The loop opti stream would be pretty good too, with a short, heavy loaded back taper.

I think the Orvis lines are the same as the Beulah.

loughman

Reaction score
What's the rear taper like on the snowbee?The info I looked at suggested something with a heavier rear taper was the way to go with these rods & those type of lines.

skyhook

Reaction score
The Rio AFS 7/8 is meant to be a good match for the TCX SWITCH 8#.;), id say a 55ft head would be tricky enough to manage. The Rio AFS 7/8 is 37ft long.

Last edited:

Ben_d

Reaction score
I've fished switch rods for a few years now and played with a lot of different set ups & lines and even after a lot of experimentation I'm not conviced that the whole US "switch concept" transfers well to our fishing situations but maybe I'm still missing something.

Personally I view my switch rod as a small double handed rod and line it as such. The rod is used in situations where space is tight and I need to throw bigger or heavier flies that cannot be cast easily on a single handed rod. An 11' single handed rod just feels a little cumbersome to me and I find them tiring to use all day.
I have settled on the Beulah Elixir line which has a short head and I fish this with either 6' or 10' Rio polyleaders, short rear taper so shoots and loads up well with Speys, quite large tip diameter so will turn over gear. This line gets very bumpy when overhead cast and feels very heavy to use single handed, although it is possible to overhead and double haul I would not want to do it for a long period but, for a few casts it goes a very long way, will hit 100' quite easily.

If I line the rod with a single handed line, it wil cast well as a single hander but, two handed it is awful, no feel or sensation of rod loading and a single handed line will only carry single handed size flies.

The Orvis line is a good compromise, longer rear taper and head makes it less bumpy overhead and it feels lighter than the Beulah, more stable overhead and less hard work to use singlehanded but does not have the pull & bang of the Beluah for two handed use. Nice for swinging small flies on lighter leaders in the summer, longer head & back taper helps line control on the water, there will be a long belly Orvis switch line coming in the future, exact head length escapes me.

I've not tried the Rio but it looks to me as if it is designed with dead drifting at range in mind. The new Snowbee looks similar to the Beulah.

One thing to bear in mind with the Elixir, it is heavy. I'd recomend using a 6/7 on a #7 switch rod, 7/8 on an 8 etc unless the rod happens to be a real poker.

Cheers

Ben

sparky

Reaction score
Hi

hingin

Consumer should be aware.

I tested that line. Rio's final adjustments on rear taper made it more conductive to nymphing than pure spey casting. However it does handle poly/versi leaders well for swing etc. Just leans more towards the nymph fisherman than the wet fisherman.

sparky

Reaction score
Personally I view my switch rod as a small double handed rod and line it as such.
I have settled on the Beulah Elixir line which has a short head and I fish this with either 6' or 10' Rio polyleaders, short rear taper so shoots and loads up well with Speys, quite large tip diameter so will turn over gear.

Cheers

Ben

Well said I agree "small double handed". Also, they are a bit better imo for two hand overhead than longer rods. Being short the timing spey casting needs to be more precise and wading depth of thigh deep is greatly different spey casting a 10.5' rod versus a 13' rod.
I personally enjoy them and find them more versatile in regards to river size (fish big or small rather than just larger with longer two handers). Much more enjoyable than swinging with single hander imo.

sparky

Reaction score
The Rio AFS 7/8 is meant to be a good match for the TCX SWITCH 8#.;), id say a 55ft head would be tricky enough to manage. The Rio AFS 7/8 is 37ft long.

Actually, at least available here in the USA Rio's new Steelhead Scandi (shorter / more power than AFS) was fitted tested directly on the TCX 11'9" switch/compacts for use with 10' versi spey leaders.

IMO - The AFS would need trim back from the tip for versi spey leaders unless strickly fishing dry's w) mono leader directly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lQmohegZw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lQmohegZw[/ame]

http://rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=158

sparky

Reaction score
HI All,

I'm just after speaking to Snowbee and got the information I was looking for on the new switch line.

The heads on these lines range from 26'-27' from the lowest grain weight SF200 (#3/4) up to 31' for the highest grain weight SF450 (#8/9)

They will be available at the end of March/early April

Thanks for all your help

Regards,

Gary

Those sound very nice!

GaryBell

Reaction score
HI Sparky,

When you say trim back the AFS head, how much do you think I could get away with on a 7/8 without affecting the weight off the head ?

Regards,

Gary

Ben_d

Reaction score
Gary,

I'd say that you could chop quite a bit if taking off the front as the back of the line is the bit that is responsible for rod loading if Spey casting, anything below the Apex of the D loop is taken along for the ride. Not saying that it won't affect the weight of the head or loading at all but will have a far less pronounced effect than cutting back the rear of the head.

Be worth looking at the Rio Steelhead / Scandi heads too

Cheers

Ben

sparky

Reaction score
HI Sparky,

When you say trim back the AFS head, how much do you think I could get away with on a 7/8 without affecting the weight off the head ?

Regards,

Gary

Hi,

From Tip Minus = 10' / 3.048 meters = 80 grains. Can not remember 6' with out checking my notes.

I replace with Rio Versi Spey leaders. 6' = 45 grains, 10' = 65 grains, 15' = 100 grains approximately.

Personally for that rod I would cut 6' back from tip and then use 10 versi spey leaders from float to 7.0 inch per second sink rate on both floaters and s1 heads.

Works well but now there are Rio Steelhead Scandi and others.

Cheers

Last edited:

GaryBell

Reaction score
Hi Ben d, Sparky and Patrick,

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Regards,

Gary