Snapped hooks

Pati

Reaction score
Hi all,

I quite often find my flies end up with the hooks snapped... I don’t feel like my flies catch anything on the cast though and I have no doubt on the hook quality (flies tied by Ross McDonald). Also fishing floating line and no snag to report so I deduce something wrong is happening with my casting though I can cast satisfactorily far and accurate ... Does this happen to others? Any idea what is wrong with the casting?

I typically destroy 6-7 fliesa day that way with one or both hooks (I typically use double hooks) snapped in the curve...

Thanks for any pointers!

phatagrova

Reaction score
you might be unfortunate to hit a hook of a rock and damage or snap it , I think its happened to me once , but 6-7 in flies in a day are you being serious ? With floating line and no snag! I cant think of anything in a casting stroke that would cause this , are there stones or rocks where you place the fly forming the D Loop, There's no way that hooks will snap in such a scale 6/7 a day unless your coming in contact with something ,
I dont think its the hook the fly is tied on .

Pati

Reaction score
I m dead serious I m afraid! And yes there are lots of stones around me, but I don’t ever feel the hooks/line grabbing on anything:-(

Also ghillies have watched my casting and didn’t flag particular issues..

mc andy

Reaction score
I'm afraid I have nothing to offer? More so as you say you are fishing ghilled beats, with others obviously watching you? Cracking flies of? Yes can be done with an aggressive snap T. But breaking hook point single spey? That's new to me.

Good luck though.

Cheers andy

Rrrr

Reaction score
Are you striking at stones ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Pati

Reaction score
I'm afraid I have nothing to offer? More so as you say you are fishing ghilled beats, with others obviously watching you? Cracking flies of? Yes can be done with an aggressive snap T. But breaking hook point single spey? That's new to me.

Good luck though.

Cheers andy
I can t tell you on which cast I break the hooks, but I can tell you that I use all three styles... If I had to guess though the snap T would be my suspect indeed.

@Rrrr: so far I never even felt a pull so I have never had to strike (and also I was told NOT to strike ever!) so no it s definitely when casting that I break the hooks. I m wondering if something is wrong with my anchor, maybe I anchor too far on my side/behind me, is it possible?

Bruce Walker

Reaction score
From your description Pati when this happens it is likely that you are not anchoring your cast effectively before moving into the power stroke on your forward cast. You are probably just making a light touch on the water and hurrying into the forward stroke which will cause the fly to shoot backwards at a low height and at v high speed and clip obstacles behind. Slowing slightly after placing your line to allow a good anchor before progressive acceleration of the forward stroke will prevent this (if this is indeed the cause of your problem- without seeing you casting!)

Pati

Reaction score
From your description Pati when this happens it is likely that you are not anchoring your cast effectively before moving into the power stroke on your forward cast. You are probably just making a light touch on the water and hurrying into the forward stroke which will cause the fly to shoot backwards at a low height and at v high speed and clip obstacles behind. Slowing slightly after placing your line to allow a good anchor before progressive acceleration of the forward stroke will prevent this (if this is indeed the cause of your problem- without seeing you casting!)
Sounds like it could be that, I noticed that sometimes my anchor is more effective/“sticky” than others. I ll try to slow it down and accelerate more gradually. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thing is I have an amazing rod (Loop Classic) that seems capable of rescuing even the worst casts!!!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I can't believe any cast would break a good hook, it must be contact with solid objects - stones, trees etc.

Have you tested the hooks just in case they are a bad batch ? Pull hard on each hook point and generaly subject them to stress. A decent salmon hook should be very hard to break or even bend.

Pati

Reaction score
I can't believe any cast would break a good hook, it must be contact with solid objects - stones, trees etc.

Have you tested the hooks just in case they are a bad batch ? Pull hard on each hook point and generaly subject them to stress. A decent salmon hook should be very hard to break or even bend.
Hi

Yes I agree, it s definitely on the cast. I have broken hooks from different batches of flies, so no doubt I am the issue, not the flies/hooks!

The surprising thing is that I never feel resistance or anything being grabbed by the hook when casting...

It always happens when I cast from the bank or very close to it, doesn’t happen when I m wading and casting from the “middle” of the water.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Hi

Yes I agree, it s definitely on the cast. I have broken hooks from different batches of flies, so no doubt I am the issue, not the flies/hooks!

The surprising thing is that I never feel resistance or anything being grabbed by the hook when casting...

It always happens when I cast from the bank or very close to it, doesn’t happen when I m wading and casting from the “middle” of the water.
If the fly just clips a rock, you wouldn't necessarily feel it.

P!scator

Reaction score
remember that when you cast you are creating very high line speeds, beyond the speed of sound if it whip cracks! your fly will definately be hitting the stones behind you snapping off the points and you won't feel it happening with those forces involved

Isisalar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I quite often find my flies end up with the hooks snapped... I don’t feel like my flies catch anything on the cast though and I have no doubt on the hook quality (flies tied by Ross McDonald). Also fishing floating line and no snag to report so I deduce something wrong is happening with my casting though I can cast satisfactorily far and accurate ... Does this happen to others? Any idea what is wrong with the casting?

I typically destroy 6-7 fliesa day that way with one or both hooks (I typically use double hooks) snapped in the curve...

Thanks for any pointers!
I share your pain. I complained bitterly to various tackle shops that the flies I'd bought had no bend left after fishing, say, the Grafham dam wall. A concrete structure.
Being told that it was my casting was at fault was instrumental in improving it.
Haven't experienced the same for the last 45 yrs.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
i agree with bruce walker and occasional SF i think your hitting hard bankside objects stonesETC (sliping anchor??) but dont forget you will not feel it snag as it is hitting the outside of the bend of the hook and bending/snapping it in not hooking and pulling it out!! hope this helps

bluejay

Reaction score
For me it happens when I'm fishing a bit close to a rocky shore with a longer line. I know my anchor slips a bit and the hook taps a rock just right and then it breaks. Is very frustrating and you wonder how long you been fishing with a broken hook.

Pati

Reaction score
i agree with bruce walker and occasional SF i think your hitting hard bankside objects stonesETC (sliping anchor??) but dont forget you will not feel it snag as it is hitting the outside of the bend of the hook and bending/snapping it in not hooking and pulling it out!! hope this helps
Hi Goodwin

I think you might be right that it s the outside of the hook that gets hit, hence why I don’t feel it! At least that gives me an explanation I m happy with!

Now I need to fix my casting issue. Any idea what it could be that I do wrong? What do you mean by “slipping anchor” and how to fix it?

Thanks!

budge

Reaction score
A slipping or skipping anchor is caused when not enough line touches the water which allows the end of the leader and fly to slip under your "D" loop and travel behind you very low to the ground. If you're wading your fly won't come to any harm but stood on or close to the bank it could hit a rock behind you.
I have had this problem in the past although it hasn't caused hook breakages. My solution was to practice without shooting any line and concentrate on placing your anchor in the right spot until it becomes natural. Also try slowing things down and being smooth rather than rushing and snatching.
There's loads of videos on YouTube, some good, some bad. Have a look through a few and good luck.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Pati

Reaction score
A slipping or skipping anchor is caused when not enough line touches the water which allows the end of the leader and fly to slip under your "D" loop and travel behind you very low to the ground. If you're wading your fly won't come to any harm but stood on or close to the bank it could hit a rock behind you.
I have had this problem in the past although it hasn't caused hook breakages. My solution was to practice without shooting any line and concentrate on placing your anchor in the right spot until it becomes natural. Also try slowing things down and being smooth rather than rushing and snatching.
There's loads of videos on YouTube, some good, some bad. Have a look through a few and good luck.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Thanks Budge. Based on your description I declare myself guilty of slipping anchor occasionally indeed!

Will try to check YouTube to see if there is a good video that shows the issue and how to fix it

Rennie

Reaction score
Longer leader Pati!, you need it to grip just enough to give a momentary hold on the water.
Also, try slowing down a bit more, don’t be in so much of a hurry and try a brief pause before your forward delivery!
Think of your Spey cast in three distinct stages, Lift-Upstream sweep-Forward delivery!, slight pause between each one.
Pedro.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
HI Pati Budge has explained it correctly and i should of said that i learnt this from my own experience years ago when a pool i fished you waded onto a shelf and i was tending to rush my cast as if you were too slow the flow of the water washed your anchor over the shelf compromising your cast my anchor would sometimes slip and hit a rock behind me so when i realised what was happening i had to re position myself and make sure my anchor did not slip by slowing down just a fraction the best way i find is to actually turn your head and watch your anchor form and cast at the optimum time for any given situation hope this helps all the best!!