Small stillwater trout rod.

paddymc

Reaction score
Was wondering what would be a good allround rod for small stillwaters? What length, weight etc

Would be used with floating lines mainly.

Any recommendations?

MikeCC

Reaction score
9ft #6 is by far the most popular choice for stillwater, covers all eventualities. Although in all honesty i(personally) prefer a slightly longer rod - 9ft’6”.

9ft #5 is also very popular.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
9' #5 is my preference.

Short enough to get into slighty tighter spots, long enough for occasional boat use and to get a decent line out, powerful to handle good size fish and also a good length/weight for use on rivers.

Greys GR60 is a brilliant rod or if you want to upscale to a seriously good rod get the GR80.

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
Was wondering what would be a good allround rod for small stillwaters? What length, weight etc

Would be used with floating lines mainly.

Any recommendations?
I guess it depends on what you mean by a small still water? Depending on the size, time of year and tactic I use either a 7.5' #3, 8.5' #4 or 9' #5. If I was forced to pick one it would be the 8.5' # 4. However, given the number of votes for a 9' #5 I couldn't argue there is anything wrong with that as a choice for small stillwaters.

Regards

NHP

Pompero

Reaction score
8-9'#4 for pure dry fly fishing, 9'#5 for general purpose, 9'#6 if you are concerned with wind and medium sized streamers

Rrrr

Reaction score
9ft 6wt is my general rod. I like the shakey agility 2 for the money. Great little rods.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

AlanT

Reaction score
Depends what size of fish are in it and if its windswept, fishing from a boat, bank etc

I've found a 10' #6 copes with just about anything. It can cope with a wind, good for dibbling, can cast a dry or a lure, enough backbone if you hook a bigger fish etc.

paddymc

Reaction score
It would be fishing from a bank and the place in mind can be quite windy too.

I like the idea of a shorter rod and a lighter line weight. Trying to marry that with being able to fish lures and teams of buzzers etc. cope with the wind and intermediate/sinking lines at times.

I don’t fish for trout often and it would rarely be used, so I don’t want to spend a lot of money. So, I like the idea of the shaky mentioned by Rrrr. Would that rod do the job and any good floating line matches for it ?

AlanT

Reaction score

Trying to marry that with being able to fish lures and teams of buzzers etc. cope with the wind and intermediate/sinking lines at times. . .
Then a 10 #6 it is then lol.
I have a 9'#5 that I love but is just not quite there for what you describe imho

A shakey would be perfect, try and get a deal for rod, reel and shakey line, Garry Evans sometimes does full set up deals

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Then a 10 #6 it is then lol.
I have a 9'#5 that I love but is just not quite there for what you describe imho

A shakey would be perfect, try and get a deal for rod, reel and shakey line, Garry Evans sometimes does full set up deals
But don't bank on a quick delivery from Gary Evans. I ordered a pair of wading boots on 22nd Feb that still haven't been delivered. All emails about it get a response that they are on the way with UPS and are at London (as of yesterday). They were somewhere else a week before that. I get things from China quicker.

AlanT

Reaction score
But don't bank on a quick delivery from Gary Evans. I ordered a pair of wading boots on 22nd Feb that still haven't been delivered. All emails about it get a response that they are on the way with UPS and are at London (as of yesterday). They were somewhere else a week before that. I get things from China quicker.
Tbf I've not had any issues with them in the past

happy days

Reaction score
If its windy and you want to use inty and sinks as well its a 10ft 6wt for me, I prefer a bit of wind, for close in wild fish its an 8ft 3wt.

Rrrr

Reaction score

I like the idea of a shorter rod and a lighter line weight. Trying to marry that with being able to fish lures and teams of buzzers etc. cope with the wind and intermediate/sinking lines at times.

I don’t fish for trout often and it would rarely be used, so I don’t want to spend a lot of money. So, I like the idea of the shaky mentioned by Rrrr. Would that rod do the job and any good floating line matches for it ?
John norris have the agilitys for 50 quid at the moment. Also got an email yesterday for another 20% off.

rotenone

Reaction score

Fast action 6 will cover that

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
John norris have the agilitys for 50 quid at the moment. Also got an email yesterday for another 20% off.

Yes, I had a quick look to see if I should buy something I don't need !

You enter FLY20 at the checkout, think it works until the end of the weekend.

If you want a cheap and cheerful starter outfit, the Shakey Sigma 9 foot 5 weight outfit is £50 or £40 with the code - rod, reel and line.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Yes, I had a quick look to see if I should buy something I don't need !

You enter FLY20 at the checkout, think it works until the end of the weekend.

If you want a cheap and cheerful starter outfit, the Shakey Sigma 9 foot 5 weight outfit is £50 or £40 with the code - rod, reel and line.
Great kits for the money. Slightly slower than the agility but really all you need to get going.

paddymc

Reaction score
I see the sizes I would want have all sold out already on the John Norris site :(

Tangled

Reaction score
9' #5 or #6 medium fast. Pick #5 as an all rounder - can do most things well - still water or river. #6 if you're regularly wanting to use bigger lures.

The Grey GR60 is the GR50 painted a different colour. It's seems to be regarded as the best value for money rod around unless you go down to the Shakespeares which are also good.

It's also the same rod as the Fenwick Aetos (tho' this is very hard to confirm) which gets very good reviews in the States and beats rods four times more expensive. (Fenwick and Greys are owned by the same American company.)