Small fly’s.

FISHBOY1

Reaction score
Will be fishing the Tweed in a few weeks.As levels maybe low small fly’s will be needed any advice on patterns to tie thanks F1.

Birkin

Reaction score
Stoats tail, Silver Stoats tail, Cascade and Ally’s Shrimp.
GBWG and WG on needle tube or Waddington shank tied sparsely.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Ive had tweed salmon on as small as a 14 but at summer levels 12s and 10s or 1" tubes have accounted for the rest even at summer levels.
Cascade as good as any.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
I think river size has an impact as well. In a small river you can be fairly sure where most fish are holding so certain they will see your fly. IE the black bits of the pool. On the Tay it's a big river. Fish are likely to be less concerned about the low water as they are not limited to one bit or even one pool. In that case it may well be best to make sure the fish see your fly. So fish bigger if the fish are less shy. I fish a dropper most of the time so can fish both sizes. It can amaze you. 20 lb May Springer on the Forth took my size 12 dropper and passed by the large size 8 on the point. That fish took me 3 times before I caught it. All 3 takes on the size 12 treble on the dropper. Now why it preferred the smaller fly who knows, size, colour or depth? Do not be frightened to try a small one, you can always tie on a bigger fly if you catch nothing. Cascades are great in any size but I have never had a fish on a size 8 or bigger Alley's. So much so I never tie them bigger than a 10 anymore. Fish what you have confidence in and 2 flies allows you to cover more fish with more options. And yes, I did wish I only had one fly on when fighting the Springer. But where is the fun in holding all the advantages and perhaps I never would have caught it otherwise.

kinnaber

Reaction score
Fished the Dee at Park few years back with loads of resident fish and pods of runners . Couldn’t get a sniff on 12s and 14s which we’re producing results so stuck on a size 4 dressed treble more as an experiment than in expectation . They loved it . Ally shrimps used to catch most fish purely as a result of most rods using the pattern . Chop n change even to the extreme is always worth consideration .

acerspader

Reaction score
I think river size has an impact as well. In a small river you can be fairly sure where most fish are holding so certain they will see your fly. IE the black bits of the pool. On the Tay it's a big river. Fish are likely to be less concerned about the low water as they are not limited to one bit or even one pool. In that case it may well be best to make sure the fish see your fly. So fish bigger if the fish are less shy. I fish a dropper most of the time so can fish both sizes. It can amaze you. 20 lb May Springer on the Forth took my size 12 dropper and passed by the large size 8 on the point. That fish took me 3 times before I caught it. All 3 takes on the size 12 treble on the dropper. Now why it preferred the smaller fly who knows, size, colour or depth? Do not be frightened to try a small one, you can always tie on a bigger fly if you catch nothing. Cascades are great in any size but I have never had a fish on a size 8 or bigger Alley's. So much so I never tie them bigger than a 10 anymore. Fish what you have confidence in and 2 flies allows you to cover more fish with more options. And yes, I did wish I only had one fly on when fighting the Springer. But where is the fun in holding all the advantages and perhaps I never would have caught it otherwise.
Hey Aidan,

When you say 'black bits of the pool', do you mean deep sections?

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Speed of water makes a big difference as well. Faster water usually means a bigger fly. Never really tried a Sunray. Tied a few, but never certain when to try one. Will definitely give them a swim this summer. Problem is you only try something new when the salmon are out of sorts, so you never really give it a fair chance as the salmon are not on. I know the Sunray can wake them up. Looking forward to some water to give one a swim. Please let it rain. Falling everywhere I do not want it. Bloody lawn needs cut too often.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Speed of water makes a big difference as well. Faster water usually means a bigger fly. Never really tried a Sunray. Tied a few, but never certain when to try one. Will definitely give them a swim this summer. Problem is you only try something new when the salmon are out of sorts, so you never really give it a fair chance as the salmon are not on. I know the Sunray can wake them up. Looking forward to some water to give one a swim. Please let it rain. Falling everywhere I do not want it. Bloody lawn needs cut too often.
I was exactly the same. I had a load of sunrays sitting in a box and basically never used them. I thought they were a last resort thing on a water stuffed with fish that weren’t taking.
This season has opened my eyes.
Ive landed fish on 3 totally different rivers this season on the sunray.
Had one on a small fast spate river, had 4 on the Spey a big water with varying speed on the pools, and had a sea trout and missed a few salmon yesterday on the isla a fairly wide flat slow moving river. It’s now a method I will give a go almost anywhere anytime.

K MacC

Reaction score
I usually fish a big fly fast and high, and a small fly slow and deep. In low to moderate water in a small river I have had fish on 18's on a fast sinking line. In low water try a red frances cone cast up stream and dead drifted down.

paddymc

Reaction score
I was exactly the same. I had a load of sunrays sitting in a box and basically never used them. I thought they were a last resort thing on a water stuffed with fish that weren’t taking.
This season has opened my eyes.
Ive landed fish on 3 totally different rivers this season on the sunray.
Had one on a small fast spate river, had 4 on the Spey a big water with varying speed on the pools, and had a sea trout and missed a few salmon yesterday on the isla a fairly wide flat slow moving river. It’s now a method I will give a go almost anywhere anytime.
How do you fish it tfs?

Rrrr

Reaction score
The last few years ive gained alot of confidence in fishing really small flies in spate conditions. Ill happily fish a 14 or 16 with a short tail in high water and catch fish. Thats not to say a big fly wouldnt have worked but i seem to do better with small stuff.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

paddymc

Reaction score
The last few years ive gained alot of confidence in fishing really small flies in spate conditions. Ill happily fish a 14 or 16 with a short tail in high water and catch fish. Thats not to say a big fly wouldnt have worked but i seem to do better with small stuff.

Rrrr, the rivers you fish, do they carry much colour when they are high?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Rrrr, the rivers you fish, do they carry much colour when they are high?
Yea, usualy a deep peat stain. I like pink in a fly as it tends to show up better than others through the peat.

rotenone

Reaction score
Fly size rules are all in the anglers head I have long since disproved the Falkus and oglesby chains of thoughts about fly size relating to temperatures , salmon frequently ignore a tiny fly only to be caught on a flying c that looks huge in the water in summer lows, salmon fly size theories and calculators are pure folly, the speed, profile and colour in that order aremore important then the size but your really only need large medium small amd micro not everything in between.