Sloe Gin

wormo

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm gonna have a bash at this soon , but checking my local source today there is a bumper harvest but they are still hard , when normally do u pick and any good recipes yo would recommend?
craig
20201027_111009.jpg

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
No specific date, just whenever they start to soften up.

I normally fill the bottle about one third full with sloes (I prick the sloes with a fork first). The amount of sugar is a personal choice. Some recipes sugggest a third of the bottle filled with sugar but you will get a very sweet, sickly (IMHO) gin with that much sugar. I normally put a fairly modest amount in initially. You can always add more if not sweet enough for your taste.

Then top up with gin and turn daily for a few weeks until all the sugar has dissolved and ultimately strain out the sloes - I normally leave for a few months before doing this.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm gonna have a bash at this soon , but checking my local source today there is a bumper harvest but they are still hard , when normally do u pick and any good recipes yo would recommend?
craigView attachment 51633
Picked mine a week ago.
They say to pick them after the first frosts as it breaks the flesh down and releases the juices easier. Frosts are getting later and later though.
My cheat is a week in the freezer.
Saves on OSFs approach of pricking with a fork.

500g sloes
250g caster sugar
1 litre gin.

Gently shake the container you're making the gin in once a day for a week then once a week for 3 months.
Strain through a muslin cloth.
Enjoy.?

NEbody

Reaction score
We picked sloes almost 2 months ago, because we found a clump of bushes festooned with ripe ones so this y production should be ready for Christmas.. That said, I’ve seen some decent looking ones in the last week.

This year’s recipe is 300g sloes, 600ml gin and 100g sugar, which just fills a 1 litre bottle. You can add a few drops of almond essence if you want: we didn’t have any so this year‘s hasn’t got any. You can always add more sugar at the end if it’s not sweet enough but it’s damned difficult to take it out if it’s too sweet.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
We picked sloes almost 2 months ago, because we found a clump of bushes festooned with ripe ones so this y production should be ready for Christmas.. That said, I’ve seen some decent looking ones in the last week.

This year’s recipe is 300g sloes, 600ml gin and 100g sugar, which just fills a 1 litre bottle. You can add a few drops of almond essence if you want: we didn’t have any so this year‘s hasn’t got any. You can always add more sugar at the end if it’s not sweet enough but it’s damned difficult to take it out if it’s too sweet.

Thats probably about the amount of sugar I use. Those that like it sweeter can add more at any stage.

Jimmcl

Reaction score
I picked mine on Sunday & was luck to have found many - the birds have had a good time on them around here- Somerset.
Be brave and try making Sloe Vodka- same recipe as gin, just substitute Vodka, it is better IMO.

Tyke777

Reaction score
Have done Damson Brandy so far this year, thats already in a darkened cupboard being agitated on a weekly basis, I'm now just trying something totally different - Crab Apple Vodka. The tree at the bottom of the garden was absolutely laden with beautiful shiny red / pink crab apples - a quick scoot around the internet for alternative uses for Crab Apple, I cam away with the Vodka idea. Exactly the same principle as Sloe or Damson Gin / Brandy, it will be an interesting wait.......... :cool:
Crab Apple Vodka.jpg

Handel

Reaction score
Half fill a bottle with sloes, top up with gin. Don't use cheap gin. I used Sainsburys own brand one year. Horrible. Keep an eye out during the year for offers on good gin. Sainsburys often have them- they must now their own brand is disgusting.
Leave for at least 3 months, six is better. Give a good shake now and again, especially early on. That gets all the natural sugars out of the sloes. Then one evening you have a sloe gin tasting session?When you add sugar to taste. The way you do that is to dissolve some sugar into warm water as if you were making a fruit salad. You will be surprised how little you have to add. Then drink?
As for picking sloes, leaving it until the first frost doesn't work any longer. Pick them when they are ripe and put them in the freezer. Get them out when they are frozen, let them defrost a bit and then beat them with something- a rolling pin works. That cracks them as if a frost had got them. Pricking them with a fork is a pain and doesn't (in my experience) give as good an end result.

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
The addition of a couple of drops of vanilla essence per bottle gives that extra dimension.

ghilliejim

Reaction score
Don,t leave it too long the frost might never come, otherwise within a few weeks they,lll shrivel and start to rot. Best pick them on a dry day and store them in the freezer when defrosted they'll be soft . Nae need to prick them either as recommended in a few recipies.

gwelsher

Reaction score
I use a similar recipe to the others
1lb/454gm of washed sloes
4 ozs/112gm of white Caster sugar
75cl bottle of decent quality gin
2-3 drops of almond essence (this is optional)

I freeze my Sloes and when I'm ready to use them tip them on a baking tray and rub over them using the spikey side of the cheese grater. Very quick to do and makes lots of holes.

After you have decanted your Sloe Gin or Vodka you can re-use the Sloes.

Sloe port recipe

In this recipe the sloes are re-macerated with red wine & sugar and then the resultant drink is fortified with a little brandy. The resultant drink will come out at around 15-20% alcohol by volume depending on which wine & brandy you use.
It tastes delicious, like a port with a lovely gentle sloe edge.
You can add sugar to taste.
To make about 1 litre you'll need:
About 500g sloes left over from your gin
750ml (1 standard bottle) of red wine
About 100g sugar
200ml brandy

Add the sloes, sugar and wine to your container. Seal and shake daily for 6-8 weeks, keeping it in a cool, dark place.
Taste and adjust sugar if you think necessary
At the end of this time, drain the sloes off the liquid through a double layer of scalded muslin.
Add the brandy and mix well.
Pour into your clean presentation bottles.

Sloe Sherry recipe
About 500g sloes left over from your gin
1 litre bottle of medium sherry (not too cheap)
1 tbs of white granulated sugar, after two weeks (optional)

Half fill the sterilised jar with the sloes from your sloe gin.
Top up with sherry.
Keep turning the jar each day for a week. Store the jar in a dark, dry area for 3-6 weeks.
Sample the grog after two weeks, just to see how it’s progressing. A tablespoon of sugar can be added at this stage, according to taste.

Sloe Chocolates recipe
Take some Sloes left over from your Gin and lay them in a single layer on some greaseproof paper in a tray or box with sides.
Sprinkle over some ground cinnamon and some finely grated orange rind.
Melt some good quality fair trade organic dark chocolate in a saucepan or bowl over a pan of simmering water.
Pour the chocolate evenly over the sloes.
Put the tray or box in the freezer until the chocolate is hard.
When you are ready to eat, break into chunks remembering that the sloes still have stones in them.
The chocolate goes extremely well with the sloe port you've just made.

westie4566

Reaction score
put a handful of some big ripe brambles in .
That's what I do, adds a certain something to it and improves colour. I have in the past pot in about an inch of a cinnamon stick too.

Not got round to starting mine yet but the brambles and sloes are in the freezer.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Definitely pick them whilst they are still there. Blackbirds etc.. will polish them off soon. Freeze them to soften them up a bit. I have some damsons from the garden in the freezer. I will be making some damson soon when I get some cheap gin from Aldi.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
NEVER BUY SLOE BERRYS FROM THE INTERNET YUK" JUST DONT"
berrys should be soft(a little give when pressed" dont taste") and freshly picked,i pick mine around middle of oct this gives me around 10wks for an xmas tiple
My method and recipe
1ltr cheapest gin or vodka
500g sloe berry
250/300g granulated sugar or vanilla flavoured sugar.

Wash and freeze berrys for a couple of days defrost them then freeze again for a couple of days when defrosted for a 2nd time pop them into the sterile kilner jar add spirit of choice then sugar seal and aggitate well at least twice a day for 1st week(sugar will have dissolved within 3/4days and can be tasted for sweetnest at any time now)at least once a day for 2nd week and finally every other day for 3rd week,then leave in a dark place till christmas day strain through a scolded muslin cloth i use 3ltr kilner jar (round rubber sealed) ones
Remember to steralise the bottles for decanting too

salarchaser

Reaction score
Horrid gin=horrid sloe gin, unless you kill the taste with too much sugar.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, which is fine.
In my humble opinion, any subtle flavour from the botanicals will always be overpowered by the flavour of the sloes and sugar.

The same with gin and tonic. Expensive tonic can be more important than expensive gin.

I'm fine with cheap gin in my sloe gin. And for me, thats what matters.;)

Handel

Reaction score
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, which is fine.
In my humble opinion, any subtle flavour from the botanicals will always be overpowered by the flavour of the sloes and sugar.

The same with gin and tonic. Expensive tonic can be more important than expensive gin.

I'm fine with cheap gin in my sloe gin. And for me, thats what matters.;)
If you are ordering mine's a beer:)

westie4566

Reaction score
The problem with sloe gin is it tastes like Ribena (not sure if that soft drink translates across the pond) so you can end up guzzling what is basically neat gin.?
Try doing Blackcurrant Gin if you think Sloe Gin tastes like Ribena!! :ROFLMAO: It's ace but gets you pissed even quicker.....lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
No specific date, just whenever they start to soften up.

I normally fill the bottle about one third full with sloes (I prick the sloes with a fork first). The amount of sugar is a personal choice. Some recipes sugggest a third of the bottle filled with sugar but you will get a very sweet, sickly (IMHO) gin with that much sugar. I normally put a fairly modest amount in initially. You can always add more if not sweet enough for your taste.

Then top up with gin and turn daily for a few weeks until all the sugar has dissolved and ultimately strain out the sloes - I normally leave for a few months before doing this.
Yep gotta be careful with the sugar, can end up way too sweet.