Slimmer dressing on skittle tube

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Here is a slimmer dressing in steelhead colours tied on a skittle tube....I don’t see a lot of people using skittle tubes but I think they are excellent for fishing.

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend
Serge
E5398404-1FA7-49FB-AC4F-69B2BDB8DF44.jpeg

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Skittle tubes are weighed tubes....old school tube fly design from Yuri Shumakov I believe....

This one weight 0.86grams on my scale. Adds a nice sinking property to the fly when fishing faster water and still light enough to cast with touch and go casts.

The fly is tied on the red tubing just in front of the skittle tube...
F765F85F-BED1-44C9-9459-EBAD3259C599.jpeg
21949DD8-280F-45C7-AB81-C89A86132EE3.jpeg

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So 13 grains of weight, I need to weigh all the flexi weights and cones I use now. My guess is those sink em good Serge.

Between you guys in Canada and those in the UK. you have all the cool exotic stuff. Up here it's rare to find someone else using tubes at all.

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Lol my local shops don’t stock anything....I order a lot from the UK as well as these came from Canadian tube fly company.

Our biggest steelhead came on a skittle tube pattern...good fishing flies!

Alexander 1960

Reaction score
Shumakov tubes ( bottles, bullets, skittles) are popular in Russia. We use them in high cold water conditions. Skittle has a very good balance, the weight is concentrated in the front part. I use sometimes the option with an extra tungsten cone in front, like here. Total weight approx. 2g

IMG_3676.JPG
IMG_3691.JPG