slate rods

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi All
I am new to the forum.I have a slate spx 15ft 11wt salmon rod and use a snowbee spey line 2d but when trying to shoot the running line for distance i tend to get alot of tip bounce.But for casting the length of the main line its fine.Is ther a line out there that will allow me to get a little more distance with the same rod.
regards Natt

Springer

Reaction score
Hi All
I am new to the forum.I have a slate spx 15ft 11wt salmon rod and use a snowbee spey line 2d but when trying to shoot the running line for distance i tend to get alot of tip bounce.But for casting the length of the main line its fine.Is ther a line out there that will allow me to get a little more distance with the same rod.
regards Natt

The rod should be more than capable of casting the full line. 2D lines are fairly easy to cast well over 30yds. When you say tip bounce I am assuming it is sending big shock waves down the bottom leg of your loop?

If so this could be caused by using far to much effort in your forward stroke (fairly typical when trying to hit big distances) or not having a firm enough grip on your top hand to cushion the tip as it goes into counter flex.

The tip will also bounce badly if you have too much overhang, where abouts is your colour change when casting?

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response
The overhang is rite on the sweet spot at the color change and I agree sometimes I do put a little too much effort in to the forward stroke.I have only been using double handers two seasons and am still in a learning curve with the casting methods.But when fishing for extended periods of time they are allot less stressful on the arms compared to the sage rpl graffite 3 single hander i,ve been using for the last 10 years.
I use a sink tip with the single hander no problems,but with the double it makes life allot more difficult.Some anglers I have spoken to say that the spey line needs trimming to accommodate a sink tip but when you pay 50 pounds for a line its hard to start cutting it.So as a result I don,t often try a sink tip on the double witch in turn means I am not covering the fish properly.
When just using the 2d floater and a small tube fly and casting the head length all is well,the problem occurs when going for distance but as you say I am probably trying too hard.
I really appreciate your help any tips that you think would help would certainly be heeded
thanks Natt

albyn73

Banned
Reaction score
no room on the reel.

natthargreaves, When you say that other anglers have said for you to cut some length off the Spey line to accommodate the sink tip, are you using the same reel for Salmon fishing that you also use for your Sage single hander:confused:

albyn73

Springer

Reaction score
By accomodating the sink tip he means turning it over.

The 2D is notoriously bad at handling tips. The answer is to cut it back 6'-8' and re-loop it. Use the bit you cut off as your floating tip (even then this tip doesnt like the wind) but the rest of the time the 10' Airflo tip you attach will work a treat.

Cutting Snowbee lines for tips is commonplace and even Snowbee themselves recommended it to me.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Line Trimming

Thanks springer
In answer to your question no with the single hander i use a reo grand 7 wt fward I am told that the tip of this line is 2 grains into an 8 wt so it turns over with the sink tip well enough.
Again thanks for the trimming tip I will try it nex time I get back to the UK, I work in Sweden should be back in 2 weeks.