Slaney 2020

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Was heading to work this morning at Killerig Cross it's in the vicinity of the Slaney I spotted around 20 cormorants if there was one flying in a V formation, it's not a good sign they can't be on the river if there is no fish in it, they must be doing damage to the salmon parr and trout.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Thanks
Do you know the geographical limits of Solsboro? where does it start and finish and which bank?
See attached pic. Nice water there. Its single bank with the flow of water from right to left. Some wading but mostly high bank overhead fishing. Theres a long glide of fast water. At the end of this, 15ft upstream the croy is a good salmon lay. I have fishing the Slaney for well over 100 hours with only one hook up so you need a lot of luck

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 09.41.15.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 09.41.15.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 76

boomdocker

Reaction score
See attached pic. Nice water there. Its single bank with the flow of water from right to left. Some wading but mostly high bank overhead fishing. Theres a long glide of fast water. At the end of this, 15ft upstream the croy is a good salmon lay. I have fishing the Slaney for well over 100 hours with only one hook up so you need a lot of luck
Thanks!

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Was out for a few hours this evening never seen a thing, river is at summertime levels, but then what would you expect when they are extracting 11,000,000 gallons of water a day from the Slaney.
The day will come when it will run dry.
🤔

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Was out for a few hours this evening never seen a thing, river is at summertime levels, but then what would you expect when they are extracting 11,000,000 gallons of water a day from the Slaney.
The day will come when it will run dry.
🤔
The algae for the time of year is incredible.

boomdocker

Reaction score
Does anyone have, or know anyone that has a map showing the beats/clubs/ownership for fishing on the Slaney
I'm fairly familiar with above Clohamon, but would like to know more about the stretch from Enniscorthy to Clohamon
Something like this is what I was referring to....
I'd be happy to put the map together if I could find out the fisheries......

Salmon21

Reaction score
I am heading to the slaney during the week what flies and lines would you recommend

Ian Carter

Reaction score
I am heading to the slaney during the week what flies and lines would you recommend
Floating line these days with the low water level, inter maybe. Water temps were 16 recently. Flies: the usual (cascade / ally's shrimp etc)

Salmon21

Reaction score
Was thinking of trying some of the slaney tributaries for some salmon or early sea trout during the day.Any advice how to approach this or is it a waste of time

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Was thinking of trying some of the slaney tributaries for some salmon or early sea trout during the day.Any advice how to approach this or is it a waste of time
Time spent doing things you like is not time wasted and since your after joining a Salmon fishing forum i take it that your an avid Angler.
The Deereen was a great little river one time and still gets a run of Salmon but most of the lower stretches of it is private, the Boro is meant to be a great sea trout river but I don't know much about it, its way too early for seatrout.
Alot of the Deereen is unfishable because it has never been maintained I'd say there are a few pools that hold fish but you won't be able to access them.
The only thing you can do is go for a walk along it and see for yourself.
Above knocklow bridge on the wicklow side of the Deereen is your best bet up as far as Hacketstown.

Salmon21

Reaction score
Time spent doing things you like is not time wasted and since your after joining a Salmon fishing forum i take it that your an avid Angler.
The Deereen was a great little river one time and still gets a run of Salmon but most of the lower stretches of it is private, the Boro is meant to be a great sea trout river but I don't know much about it, its way too early for seatrout.
Alot of the Deereen is unfishable because it has never been maintained I'd say there are a few pools that hold fish but you won't be able to access them.
The only thing you can do is go for a walk along it and see for yourself.
Above knocklow bridge on the wicklow side of the Deereen is your best bet up as far as Hacketstown.
Cheers for the response will give it a shot what method would you recommend

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Cheers for the response will give it a shot what method would you recommend
A 9"6 or 10 rod i#7 a floating line with maybe a hover or intermediate tip is more than enough for any of the tributaries of the Slaney you can use a 10lb or 12 lb leader wouldn't go any lower and small flies in sizes 8, 10, 12s..
You may keep low and use a stealth approach to the pools keep well back dont walk in on top of the fish they will see you easily.
Fish are scarce and the rivers are low the amount of water being taken from the rivers has become a serious problem, fish need deep water at least 5 or 6' to feel safe in a pool, but there are a few around the thing is you have to put in the hours if you want to be succeed ( They don't pay housecalls).
I have yet to see anyone who became successful at anything without putting in the effort.
Get yourself a good set of Polaroids aswell, in this weather you will able to read the water if your careful enough.
There is a new thread on the Slaney 2021 if you want to post there.

Salmon21

Reaction score
Thanks fo
A 9"6 or 10 rod i#7 a floating line with maybe a hover or intermediate tip is more than enough for any of the tributaries of the Slaney you can use a 10lb or 12 lb leader wouldn't go any lower and small flies in sizes 8, 10, 12s..
You may keep low and use a stealth approach to the pools keep well back dont walk in on top of the fish they will see you easily.
Fish are scarce and the rivers are low the amount of water being taken from the rivers has become a serious problem, fish need deep water at least 5 or 6' to feel safe in a pool, but there are a few around the thing is you have to put in the hours if you want to be succeed ( They don't pay housecalls).
I have yet to see anyone who became successful at anything without putting in the effort.
Get yourself a good set of Polaroids aswell, in this weather you will able to read the water if your careful enough.
There is a new thread on the Slaney 2021 if you want to post there.
r that I will be trying on the weekend

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Any good fly water below Enniscorthy
That's all tidal water, don't know much about it, but they fish there at ferrycarrig Bridge what for i dont know but I'd say they get the odd sea trout, if you had a sand eel you would catch the sea trout so I don't see why not you could catch them on the fly if you had something representing a sand eel.

Salmon21

Reaction score
That's all tidal water, don't know much about it, but they fish there at ferrycarrig Bridge what for i dont know but I'd say they get the odd sea trout, if you had a sand eel you would catch the sea trout so I don't see why not you could catch them on the fly if you had something representing a sand eel.
Might try below enniscorthy bridge on the weekend with the fly