Slaney 2020

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Hi all I was just wondering are we allowed to fish with spinners for salmon on the slaney this year
No Pal I'm sorry to tell you that spinning on the Slaney has been banned for the last 10 years or more.
You may go the three Sisters if you want to spin for Salmon, or appear before Colin Daly otherwise the choice is yours.👍

Salmon21

Reaction score
No Pal I'm sorry to tell you that spinning on the Slaney has been banned for the last 10 years or more.
You may go the three Sisters if you want to spin for Salmon, or appear before Colin Daly otherwise the choice is yours.👍
Thanks for the response just getting into salmon fishing but want to buy some prawn/shrimp for when season starts. Do you know any one selling some prawns or shrimp.😃

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Thanks for the response just getting into salmon fishing but want to buy some prawn/shrimp for when season starts. Do you know any one selling some prawns or shrimp.😃
I'd say your best bet is adverts, there is a few heads selling them on that site, you can fish the prawn below Enniscorthy Bridge that's tidal water there, the lads fish them off the Bridge there

Salmon21

Reaction score
I'd say your best bet is adverts, there is a few heads selling them on that site, you can fish the prawn below Enniscorthy Bridge that's tidal water there, the lads fish them off the Bridge there
Thank you for the advice

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
Fishing off a bridge is illegal!

Slaneysider

Reaction score

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
Don't know the ins and outs of the law, but it's like a fair day down there sometimes in Enniscorthy, lads fishing off the Bridge into the pool below it, I have never done it personally but have witnessed it with my own two eyes and have seen them catch alot of fish too.
The law is in place to stop people from snatching! Amazing that the fishery board do nothing about it!

boomdocker

Reaction score
Have we any definite opening date yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't think so , probably be 1st April again i'd imagine
On the spinning - don;t think you'll ever see spinning upstream of Enniscorthy again, the numbers of fish simply aren't there and not likely to be again

Salmon21

Reaction score
Don't think so , probably be 1st April again i'd imagine
On the spinning - don;t think you'll ever see spinning upstream of Enniscorthy again, the numbers of fish simply aren't there and not likely to be again
Is there a total ban on the spinner or is it just upstream of Enniscorty bridge

boomdocker

Reaction score
From last years bye-law, and it's probably safe to assume that this years will be the same

A person angling for salmon or sea trout (any size) shall not use or attempt to use - (a) any lure other than artificial fly using single or double barbless hooks in that part of the River Slaney upstream from the Railway Bridge Enniscorthy, or (b) worms as bait or any fish hooks, other than single barbless hooks, in that part of the River Slaney downstream from the Railway Bridge Enniscorthy to the mouth of the River Slaney

So fly only from the Railway Bridge up and no worms downstream and single barbless hooks only

peenie

Reaction score
This seasons bye law, curious if they bring forward the opening date can’t find it anywhere though.

Conservation of Salmon and Sea Trout (River Slaney) Bye-law No. 985 of 2020
This Bye-law provides for catch and release in angling for salmon (any size) and sea trout (over 40cm) in the River Slaney and also prohibits the use of worms, prawn, shrimp or any other crustacean, or artificial forms thereof, as bait and any fish hooks other than single or double barbless hooks.

Salmon21

Reaction score
This seasons bye law, curious if they bring forward the opening date can’t find it anywhere though.

Conservation of Salmon and Sea Trout (River Slaney) Bye-law No. 985 of 2020
This Bye-law provides for catch and release in angling for salmon (any size) and sea trout (over 40cm) in the River Slaney and also prohibits the use of worms, prawn, shrimp or any other crustacean, or artificial forms thereof, as bait and any fish hooks other than single or double barbless hooks.

Ban on prawn and shrimp.I may take up fly fishing

Salmon21

Reaction score
First ever fly any tips would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55

Slaneysider

Reaction score
First ever fly any tips would be appreciated
Nowt wrong with that for your first fly.
There are lots of video's on YouTube showing step by step instructions of tying Salmon flies, Davie Mcphail has a very good following.
A few stoats tails, hairy Mary's, thunder and lightnings, blue charm any of the old school flies on a floating line on a summers evening will catch fish on the Slaney, sparsely dressed flies work better for me I never had much luck with the Scandinavian type flies or monkies , that's not to say they don't work, it's alot of trial and error if your starting to fly fish, it's more important the speed and depth of the fly than the fly itself.
Its alot of trial and error.
Good luck.

Salmon21

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with that for your first fly.
There are lots of video's on YouTube showing step by step instructions of tying Salmon flies, Davie Mcphail has a very good following.
A few stoats tails, hairy Mary's, thunder and lightnings, blue charm any of the old school flies on a floating line on a summers evening will catch fish on the Slaney, sparsely dressed flies work better for me I never had much luck with the Scandinavian type flies or monkies , that's not to say they don't work, it's alot of trial and error if your starting to fly fish, it's more important the speed and depth of the fly than the fly itself.
Its alot of trial and error.
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice what type fly lines would be best for spring fishing 😃

Salmon21

Reaction score
Hi there I have a double taper fly line can I add rio leaders to the end off the fly line

boomdocker

Reaction score
Does anyone have, or know anyone that has a map showing the beats/clubs/ownership for fishing on the Slaney
I'm fairly familiar with above Clohamon, but would like to know more about the stretch from Enniscorthy to Clohamon

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Does anyone have, or know anyone that has a map showing the beats/clubs/ownership for fishing on the Slaney
I'm fairly familiar with above Clohamon, but would like to know more about the stretch from Enniscorthy to Clohamon
You can fish Solosboro, its about 3 miles up from Enniscorthy. Day tickets available in Danny angling store in town. Last year I had trouble getting them however as they are not well organised.

boomdocker

Reaction score
Thanks
Do you know the geographical limits of Solsboro? where does it start and finish and which bank?