Slaney 2020

Slaneybs

Reaction score
I would agree that there was a reasonable Spring run and given that the majority of rods were caught by the lockdown the actual catch by those who could get out was very much in line with the last 4 or 5 years. In fact on a prorata basis, considering the lack of rods out, it was better than average year. The springers headed for the hills before the drought and are lying up in deep holes upstream. What we dont have are collection of potted springers in the pools below Bunclody which you might have seen 30 or 40 years ago.
If we had had rods out from the old opening date of 26 February I think it would have been a decent enough year. There is a real danger of talking down the run, taking the numbers from the Clohamon counter and saying it was very poor and the river should be closed when in reality the water levels would have seen a high proportion of fish go over the wier rather than through the counter. Another closure would be a disaster and only benefit the poachers. We should infact be pushing for an earlier opening and more legit rods on the river.
Most years grilse are only a bonus once you get above Enniscorthy. They can build up there for weeks and sometimes it could be September before they all run. A couple of 100 fish below Enniscorthy is good news for the river but from the upstream angler's point of view they will be spread out pretty thinely if they have run with this flood. Fingers crossed that they have.

salmoslaney

Reaction score
Well said Slaneybs. I know of 1 guy who had 4 fish on yesterday evening and another guy who lost one at the net thismorning, all above Ballycarney. I hope ye are all out taking advantage of the spate, you wont get too many chances this time of year.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Please remember that you need to be a member of the club or syndicate fishing that stretch of the river to go onto most of the water. There is virtually no free water between Enniscorthy and Tullow. "Uninvited guests" even with fly gear (the whole river is fly only above Enniscorthy) will be asked to leave as a number of people who had traveled some distance found out last night.

salmoslaney

Reaction score
The Rivers are overrun with poachers in all shapes and sizes, seems to be more and more of the angler who has all the gear and believes they can fish anywhere they like now too. Very frustrating. Its a knock on effect of poor management from the top.

Last edited:

boomdocker

Reaction score
My experience this year is that it's been one of the better summers of recent year (above Clohamon)
Landed a 7lb grilse in the first week in July, also lost a smaller one at the net on the June bank holiday weekend
Lad I fished with landed 2 also in the first week in July
Plenty of sea trout around, I saw a 2.5lb fish landed last Saturday night and it was fresh as a daisy
As a previous poster said, would normally be heading for the end of the season now, but maybe with the rain we'll get a few more weeks out of it

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Anyone fish last weeks fresh? My brother had an approx 7 pound fish on Thursday night downriver and had seen a few other fish moving up. I was out at 7 on Friday morning upriver and hooked and lost a nice fish, my only connection or sight of a fish this year on the river. Other than seeing what looked like the same fish again on Saturday, that was it apart from a couple of sea trout on Sunday night which took a liking to a fast stripped monkey. Will try again tonight after a few nights break but not expecting too much.

boomdocker

Reaction score
Heard of a small grilse lost earlier in the week, had a small fresh white trout on Thursday night , but they are definitely scarcer. Typical of this time of year, I'm Finding that once dusk is over nothing happens

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Seemed a very fishy night last night with nice water and light drizzle. I was going to bypass a flat pool at 9.30 but saw a sea trout pitch. Took a black monkey straight away. They seem as willing to take these as sea trout flies. I had a lot of follows after that but nothing hooked.

Pity there aren't a few more salmon about.

Attachments

• 20200807_213159.jpg
    20200807_213159.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Interesting - my Dad used to swear by a black and yellow tube fly back in the day for spring salmon
Dee monkey colors. One of the best if not the best spring fly on the Slaney. The fly above is similar to a dee monkey except it has black hackle for later season instead of yellow.

boomdocker

Reaction score
Very nice, a few fish stirring after the flood then
What did you take that on? - might chance a few hours tomorrow

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Very nice, a few fish stirring after the flood then
What did you take that on? - might chance a few hours tomorrow
A gold body with an orange hackle and brown bucktail wing I think it's a size 5 salar, the water is still a tad high and a small bit coloured.

Attachments

• 15982159482148741863690122112537.jpg
    15982159482148741863690122112537.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47

salmoslaney

Reaction score
Well done Slaneysider. Excellent conditions at the moment, lots of fish being reported up and down the river over the past few days. Get out and fish!!

salmoslaney

Reaction score
Great to see, well done Ken! lots of back end fishing was had this year, serious amount of fish about

boomdocker

Reaction score
Agree, had an unforgettable day myself last Monday, landed a 10lb coloured fish in the late afternoon , followed by a fresh fish of about 7lb later that evening.
Don't ever remember it that good at the end of the season - I suppose the perfect conditions in the aftermath of the flood from Storm Francis really helped, great to see so many fish about. Lots of large white trout about too
Can't wait for April!

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Can't wait for April!
The reality is we shouldn’t be waiting for April! The "traditional" opening day for the river was always 26 February and this was changed to 10 March in order to get a delay in the opening of the nets if I remember rightly. It was then changed to 17 March to standardise the openings of the rivers in the Eastern Fisheries Region. This became 12 May after the first period of closure and after much protest was set for April this year but that was buggered up by Covid.

The river needs to be opened on 26 February to actually gauge if the stock levels and far more importantly provide for legitimate rods on the river to reduce poaching and help IFI.
If you live near the river or visit regularly keep a wide open eye for "anglers" out after the end of August closing date and be sure to call IFI if you see any activity.

boomdocker

Reaction score
Agree 100%
As far as the end of the season is concerned, in my view it would be far better to have the licenced anglers there until end September (like just about every other salmon river in Ireland) if only from the policing point of view
Same goes for the season start
I know the IFI lads are doing a good job, but fact is the poachers are getting a good run at it before and after the licencsed start/end of season

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Agree 100%
As far as the end of the season is concerned, in my view it would be far better to have the licenced anglers there until end September (like just about every other salmon river in Ireland) if only from the policing point of view
Same goes for the season start
I know the IFI lads are doing a good job, but fact is the poachers are getting a good run at it before and after the licencsed start/end of season
I agree with the principle of staying open in September to provide for better protection but given that our fish spawn very early, mostly complete in mid late November, fish caught in September are generally very red and much harder for a poacher to dispose of. On that basis I am happy to live with a 31 August closing if we could start in late February or at the begining of March

Salmon21

Reaction score
Hi all I was just wondering are we allowed to fish with spinners for salmon on the slaney this year