Slaney 2020

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Decent fresh water downriver today, Dereen and Derry had a good shot. Ground is coming back to normal so tomorrow nigjts rain should run off a bit more. Hopefully there should be sea trout fishing next week when it settles a bit.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Was out earlier on the middle stretches of the river, came across one individual bait fishing on the far bank, he had the cheek to drive his jeep right to the riverbank and start worming I walked straight in on top of him before he knew anything I gave him a few home truths told him I wasn't paying 100 bucks a year for a licence and another 150 to fish only for him to come down and bait fish in front of me, he didn't want to hear it at all, he got terribly upset and went home with his tail between his legs
On a lesser note the river hasn't rose much at all lads but hopefully as Rainclouds and Slaneybs says if we get more we will have a good chance of getting a fish or two

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Was out earlier on the middle stretches of the river, came across one individual bait fishing on the far bank, he had the cheek to drive his jeep right to the riverbank and start worming I walked straight in on top of him before he knew anything I gave him a few home truths told him I wasn't paying 100 bucks a year for a licence and another 150 to fish only for him to come down and bait fish in front of me, he didn't want to hear it at all, he got terribly upset and went home with his tail between his legs
On a lesser note the river hasn't rose much at all lads but hopefully as Rainclouds and Slaneybs says if we get more we will have a good chance of getting a fish or two
Was down today also. No stir even with the trout despite a rise in water overnight. I met someone similarly on the opposite bank, worming away who pretended I wasn't there by avoiding looking across. I just happened to phone my brother to catch up and he wasn't long hopping in his car and driving off. Don't think it was the same guy, he was driving a small silver car.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Noticed alot of Herons on the river recently, they are everywhere, they have to be doing damage to the salmon fry and small trout
Possibly due to ponds and marshes being dry. The damage done to eel and lamprey populations by Clohamon has a knock on effect too. That's what the herons should be mainly preoccupied with.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
River has been in great order the last few days, after getting a nice drop of water.
Have fished it hard for the last 2 weeks some very good water and pools never even seen a Salmon pitching, usually this time of year you will see them showing in the pools.
There is a few seatrout knocking about , the Salmon are being poached in the Estuary by the Wexicans ? you can bet your bottom dollar on it, all that's getting through the nets are small seatrout.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
River has been in great order the last few days, after getting a nice drop of water.
Have fished it hard for the last 2 weeks some very good water and pools never even seen a Salmon pitching, usually this time of year you will see them showing in the pools.
There is a few seatrout knocking about , the Salmon are being poached in the Estuary by the Wexicans ? you can bet your bottom dollar on it, all that's getting through the nets are small seatrout.
It seems every river in the country has a run of salmon at the moment except the Slaney. I have fished a few nights in the last couple of weeks an had a couple of sea trout and some very nice brownies. Not a sight or touch of a salmon even though the salmon fly had priority.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
It seems every river in the country has a run of salmon at the moment except the Slaney. I have fished a few nights in the last couple of weeks an had a couple of sea trout and some very nice brownies. Not a sight or touch of a salmon even though the salmon fly had priority.
That’s it Pal , there is clearly something wrong in the Estuary make no mistake about that, the river should be full of Salmon , as you said every other river in Ireland is getting good runs of Salmon
The IFI are clearly not doing their job that they are meant to do should be patrolling the Estuary night and day , they know right well what’s going on.

Slaneysider

Reaction score

Here is your answer to the lack of fish on the Slaney, those fish were probably destined for the Slaney moving down along the West Coast

Rainclouds

Reaction score
The Slaney gets the brunt of every west coast net and it shows. If there is also illegal netting in the estuary, you can be sure most of the catch will be eaten by seals. I heard IFIs Greg Forde highlighting the illegal drift netting on RTE radio on Monday. In fairness to him he had to fight for time in the short slot RTE allowed to get his message across. It was at the end of news at one as far as I recall. Also it was reported lately that two fisheries officers were abducted and taken to sea against their will in County Mayo.

High time effective technology was put to work such as long range drones. That would alleviate some of the staffing issues. Its also about time that restaurants were named and shamed for serving back of a van fish of unknown capture date under the pretense of traceability. A public health concern surely.

Slaneybs

Reaction score

Here is your answer to the lack of fish on the Slaney, those fish were probably destined for the Slaney moving down along the West Coast
The Slaney has traditionally not had a big run of grilse and the opporrtunity upstream of Enniscorthy is very much water dependent. I dont think it is being particularly badly hit by illegal netting in the estuary. If there was a lot going on net damaged fish would be visible in Enniscorthy as they wait for water.
When there are (legal) anglers prawning in Enniscorthy (remember it is fly only upstream) you know that there are fish in the river.
There have been a number of grilse about this year but you have to perserve to get them. We saw fresh fish moving through the pools downstream of Bunclody in the first weeks of July. Last week I met 2 salmon in an hour and a half. A fresh summer fish of 7 1/2 lbs and a red springer, both on a sea trout sized Van Beck.
It has now gone very quiet on both the salmon and seatrout front and that is absolutely typical of the second half of July. I suspect that we have seen far more damage from fish killed by poaching with spinners and worms than netting in the estuary. There is no doubt about the level of illegal netting being detected off the coast ( particularly on the western side of the country) is a big problem but I dont think it is major cause of the lack of a run of a big summer run on the Slaney.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
The Slaney has traditionally not had a big run of grilse and the opporrtunity upstream of Enniscorthy is very much water dependent. I dont think it is being particularly badly hit by illegal netting in the estuary. If there was a lot going on net damaged fish would be visible in Enniscorthy as they wait for water.
When there are (legal) anglers prawning in Enniscorthy (remember it is fly only upstream) you know that there are fish in the river.
There have been a number of grilse about this year but you have to perserve to get them. We saw fresh fish moving through the pools downstream of Bunclody in the first weeks of July. Last week I met 2 salmon in an hour and a half. A fresh summer fish of 7 1/2 lbs and a red springer, both on a sea trout sized Van Beck.
It has now gone very quiet on both the salmon and seatrout front and that is absolutely typical of the second half of July. I suspect that we have seen far more damage from fish killed by poaching with spinners and worms than netting in the estuary. There is no doubt about the level of illegal netting being detected off the coast ( particularly on the western side of the country) is a big problem but I dont think it is major cause of the lack of a run of a big summer run on the Slaney.
Glad you had a couple of fish. Unfortunately it is far more grim upriver as I have not seen any evidence of adult salmon since the opening of Covid restrictions. The only plus I see is that there are some very well conditioned parr this year which have been noticably absent in recent years.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Glad you had a couple of fish. Unfortunately it is far more grim upriver as I have not seen any evidence of adult salmon since the opening of Covid restrictions. The only plus I see is that there are some very well conditioned parr this year which have been noticably absent in recent years.
Good to hear about the parr. I have seen a reasonable number but worryingly trout anglers tell me that there are very few up above the Baltinglas area.

Slaneysider

Reaction score

The Salmon on the East Coast are
The Slaney always had a run of large Salmon and by that I mean 15lb to 20lb range whereas the Rivers on the West Coast always had smaller fish running. From the South West to the South East the Salmon tend to be larger, some of those Salmon that were poached look to be in the 18 to 20lb bracket that's why I think they were destined for the rivers along the bottom Coast of Ireland, that's only one reported incident of poaching how many go unreported that's 30 Salmon that if had of got a chance to enter a river system and spawn, how many more could of returned in 3 to 4 years to the same river if things went according to plan.
They are killing the goose that layed the golden egg if they keep up at that carry on along the West Coast.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Good to hear about the parr. I have seen a reasonable number but worryingly trout anglers tell me that there are very few up above the Baltinglas area.
I fished for trout nearly every evening in the summer around Rathvilly in the late 80's during school summer hollidays. Back then some pools had to be avoided because of the nuisance of salmon parr. It hasn't been looking good in the upper reaches with the summer drought in 2018 and the lack of redds last winter. The river needs a decent spawning run soon.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
The river needs a decent spawning run soon.
The best run in recent years was 2017 when the river was closed for salmon fishing. It was the best run I have seen in the last 20 years . i saw lots of fish on the redds.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
They are killing the goose that layed the golden egg if they keep up at that carry on along the West Coast.
There is a small block of players (some of whom were well paid to stop drift netting albeit on thier declared catches) who have a total disregard for any law of any kind and will continue to do exactly what they like until there is a consistent response and strong response from the courts. It will be very interesting to see how the alledged illegal of false imprisonment of IFI officers in Mayo is dealt with.

"Gardaí are investigating the alleged false imprisonment of two inland fisheries staff who were investigating salmon poaching off the Mayo coast.

Salmon poaching in this area has “sky-rocketed” since the beginning of the coronavirus crisis, according to Francis O’Donnell, regional director of Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI).

It is understood that in Wednesday night’s incident two fisheries officers, who boarded a boat they suspected of having been involved in poaching, were taken out to sea against their will. Two of their colleagues who were involved in the operation have made allegations of assault." source Irish Times 18 July 2020. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...f-fisheries-officers-off-mayo-coast-1.4307185

Slaneysider

Reaction score
There is a small block of players (some of whom were well paid to stop drift netting albeit on thier declared catches) who have a total disregard for any law of any kind and will continue to do exactly what they like until there is a consistent response and strong response from the courts. It will be very interesting to see how the alledged illegal of false imprisonment of IFI officers in Mayo is dealt with.

"Gardaí are investigating the alleged false imprisonment of two inland fisheries staff who were investigating salmon poaching off the Mayo coast.

Salmon poaching in this area has “sky-rocketed” since the beginning of the coronavirus crisis, according to Francis O’Donnell, regional director of Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI).

It is understood that in Wednesday night’s incident two fisheries officers, who boarded a boat they suspected of having been involved in poaching, were taken out to sea against their will. Two of their colleagues who were involved in the operation have made allegations of assault." source Irish Times 18 July 2020. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gardaí-investigate-alleged-false-imprisonment-of-fisheries-officers-off-mayo-coast-1.4307185
Its a pity Kingsmill Moore is not around today and on the bench when the perpetrators come before the courts. ?

salmoslaney

Reaction score
Hundreds of fish in Enniscorthy I belive, fresh fish arriving everyday and have been trickling in since the Sea trout arrived. Biggest Grilse run I have seen in many years. Most likely has not been enough water this weekend to get htem all moving but you can be sure some will. Get fishing this week

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Hundreds of fish in Enniscorthy I belive, fresh fish arriving everyday and have been trickling in since the Sea trout arrived. Biggest Grilse run I have seen in many years. Most likely has not been enough water this weekend to get htem all moving but you can be sure some will. Get fishing this week
Wicklow Mountains seem to be the driest range in Ireland this year. Hopefully there might be enough water to get some fish moving. Will be no harm to see them dispersed a bit. Another chance of rain midweek but will it be enough?

Slaneysider

Reaction score
There were alot of anglers at Ballycarney Bridge over the weekend, all of them drew a blank, the IFI were on the river also, was talking to the head man on the job he said there was a small run of Grilse that came in to the Estuary last week, this man is on the Slaney 35 years and has alot of experience, he said it was the worse year on record and that they were stretched to their resources patrolling the Estuary lots of illegal activity going on there, personally I have fished since the start of the season most evenings on very good water, never as much even saw a Salmon show,

salmoslaney

Reaction score
There were alot of anglers at Ballycarney Bridge over the weekend, all of them drew a blank, the IFI were on the river also, was talking to the head man on the job he said there was a small run of Grilse that came in to the Estuary last week, this man is on the Slaney 35 years and has alot of experience, he said it was the worse year on record and that they were stretched to their resources patrolling the Estuary lots of illegal activity going on there, personally I have fished since the start of the season most evenings on very good water, never as much even saw a Salmon show,
What did he say was the worst year on record, the run or poaching?

salmoslaney

Reaction score
The Run Pal, he said he never seen it as bad, he also said there was major problems in the Estuary of poaching by a very small minority
There was a healthy spring run followed by a long drought and like I said there has been Grilse trickling through for the last 6 weeks or so. A huge number (hundreds) of fish in Enniscorthy as we speak including a lot of fresh fish. Take a look for yourself