Slaney 2020

Slaneybs

Reaction score
While it is still a long wait to the 1 April opening now is the time to get out on the river and do a bit of bank work to ensure easy access to the pools.
With the legacy of 2 closed periods and the current shortened season many beats have become overgrown with brambles, gorse and small trees blocking access to what were traditionally good pools.
As we get closer to the opening (from say the start of March) do try and get out and walk the water so as to prevent an out break of fishing by "uninvited guests".
I was out for a couple of hours yesterday clearing flood debris, brambles and half a dozen self sown mini blackthorn trees - it is great exercise trying to get their roots out.
After several weeks of high water the river was down to lovely "high bait" level and looks so promising.
This is it as the light faded.
Doyles 4.1.2020.JPG
Doyles 2 4.1.2020.JPG
Apologies for picture quality - you can only do so much on a phone.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Those are nice looking flies!
I was down on the banks a couple of times during the week trying to finish off much needed maintenance.
Delighted to see that IFI were patrolling actively. As the water drops keep your eyes open for any illegal rods out and be sure to call the hotline if you see any suspicious activity.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Those are nice looking flies!
I was down on the banks a couple of times during the week trying to finish off much needed maintenance.
Delighted to see that IFI were patrolling actively. As the water drops keep your eyes open for any illegal rods out and be sure to call the hotline if you see any suspicious activity.
Will do, in fairness to the IFI they are doing trojan work on limited resources, hopefully they will catch a few bait fishers (Worm).
The secret is to be out very early or late in the evening to catch them, if they want to fish let them use a fly rod like everyone else, there is no point even going near a pool after someone has fished it with worms.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Let's hope we are allowed to fish next week at least.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Let's hope we are allowed to fish next week at least.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Its 50 /50 I'd say that crowd that were in Cheltenham will now be showing symptoms of the virus, 60,000 in a confined space for 3 days, that's the clout toffs and bookmakers have in this country, should never of went ahead, horse racing is the only sport still going in this country atm

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Got a good report today, 2 fish caught in Enniscorthy. I think both were on shrimp. Couple of fish showing there to.
I think fishing the shrimp at Scorthy Bridge should be banned, there were a few fish caught recently, lots of net marks on the heads of them, where they got them from is anyone's guess.

Nore Angler

Reaction score
I think fishing the shrimp at Scorthy Bridge should be banned, there were a few fish caught recently, lots of net marks on the heads of them, where they got them from is anyone's guess.
And why should the prawn be banned. The Slaney is a catch and release river, prawn is the best method for releasing fish. Not like being over played on fly rods. Sure ban everything while you're at it.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
And why should the prawn be banned. The Slaney is a catch and release river, prawn is the best method for releasing fish. Not like being over played on fly rods. Sure ban everything while you're at it.
It’s like shooting fish in a barrell, that’s why it should be banned, if that’s the case why don’t they allow prawn and shrimp on all of the River Slaney , make it a level playing field for everybody .

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Here here, well said! No reason to ban shrimp on a c&r river, they are all hooked in the lip/mouth and played hard. If anything fly can hook then deeper and play then longer so ban that.

Nore Angler

Reaction score
It’s like shooting fish in a barrell, that’s why it should be banned, if that’s the case why don’t they allow prawn and shrimp on all of the River Slaney , make it a level playing field for everybody .
The prawn is banned on rest of the Slaney, because its controlled by fly men. If fly men had their way they'd ban everything except the fly. There's so much discrimination in fishing tactics it's laughable. Let people fish any legal, without looking to ban it.

nore fly

Reaction score
The slaney was low and the lads caught two fish hanging in the tide ..well done ....they like low water ...when I first fished the slaney I used to fish at the bridge ...grand lads never any hassle ....you just got on with it...and caught fish.....and it was free...plenty of advice and you could turn up any time....now for fly only ..last time I looked in my fly box every fly I have is trying to look like a prawn /shrimp..so its not ok the fish shrimp prawns ,but it's ok the fish shrimp /prawn pattern flies ..thats funny .....I have fished a lot of rivers in ireland and the slaney is not angler friendly with so much fishing held by syndicate rods that is restricted to one day a week ,and they rarely fish and spent there time complaining about locals who turn up and catch fish ...

Slaneysider

Reaction score
The slaney was low and the lads caught two fish hanging in the tide ..well done ....they like low water ...when I first fished the slaney I used to fish at the bridge ...grand lads never any hassle ....you just got on with it...and caught fish.....and it was free...plenty of advice and you could turn up any time....now for fly only ..last time I looked in my fly box every fly I have is trying to look like a prawn /shrimp..so its not ok the fish shrimp prawns ,but it's ok the fish shrimp /prawn pattern flies ..thats funny .....I have fished a lot of rivers in ireland and the slaney is not angler friendly with so much fishing held by syndicate rods that is restricted to one day a week ,and they rarely fish and spent there time complaining about locals who turn up and catch fish ...
fly
No need to get so upset just because your not a local, syndicate rods or any angler for that matter show no bias towards any local anglers on the Slaney if they abide by the rules and regulations.
How would you feel if you spent top dollar for the right of a rod on a good stretch of the Slaney only for a local with no morals and using illegal methods fish the same stretch for free, that's where the problem lies.

nore fly

Reaction score
Not upset in the slightest...I have been a member of many a syndicate on the slaney over the years so I am well aware of the situation and well used to fishing its smaller sea trout rivers...I used to fish a beat that an irish bank used to hold a rod for its clients on and was rarely used ....and many a lad who is local in eniscorthy who enjoys the prawn also fish the so called top dollar beats (which are far from top dollar catches now)as well ....but there is room for everyone on the river bank and the day you want to ban people's enjoyment because you dont like the look of shrimp and prawns is a sad day ....the enjoyment factor is no better for anyone method over another.and there will always be lads having a sneaky cast here and there ...its what gives then a buzz .the forbidden fish ..yes they can be annoying but lifes to short.. ......

Reaction score
Any sea trout showing fellas? Might be a little early but always interested as to when they first show. My marker is always mid June but open to correction.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Any sea trout showing fellas? Might be a little early but always interested as to when they first show. My marker is always mid June but open to correction.
It was a great year last year for seatrout they came up the river in their droves, alot of 3/4 to 1lbers, the kildavin spider was what the majority of them where caught on, a hell of a good flee15906128062021572861686909198080.jpg

Attachments

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Any point in fishing up river these days with the drought? Im having good brown trout fishing in Enniscorthy town but I would love to fish some different water, not sure whats open and how to get a permit these days

nore fly

Reaction score
Any point in fishing up river these days with the drought? Im having good brown trout fishing in Enniscorthy town but I would love to fish some different water, not sure whats open and how to get a permit these days
Hi Ian did you ever try the boro ..lovely sea trout river ...especially after a drop of rain...dont over look the sew trout of the slaney system ..they are fantastic sport ...give me sea trout any day over other fish ..

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Hi Ian did you ever try the boro ..lovely sea trout river ...especially after a drop of rain...dont over look the sew trout of the slaney system ..they are fantastic sport ...give me sea trout any day over other fish ..
Hey, the sea trout are starting to make an appearance. A few nights ago I had my first one and saw a few others being caught. I tend to fish a salmon fly on the point and sea trout fly on a dropper. Its the dropper getting all the action! The sea trout only seem interested in maggots during daylight but the bubble and fly seems to tempt them at night. Much less likely to catch the weeds using the bubble method to.