Skeena system

lefthandup

Reaction score
A few more pictures of the Skeena, Copper, Bulkley, Fraser and Thompson rivers.

Attachments

Reaction score
A few more pictures of the Skeena, Copper, Bulkley, Fraser and Thompson rivers.
Awesome photos. BC is stunning.
I was wondering if you could give me any contact details for guides in the Skeena area? I’m beginning to plan a dream trip over there at some point in the hopefully not too distant future. When I’ve looked online most guides seem to be connected to lodges, I only found a couple which were not. Any other info you could offer about the area would be appreciated.

sgellert

Reaction score
Amazing place and pictures.
I should have been there in about 2 weeks, Corona stopped that :(

lefthandup

Reaction score
Amazing place and pictures.
I should have been there in about 2 weeks, Corona stopped that :(
Yeh...I should have been flying out on the 28th September, but it's not gonna happen.

Did you get your money refunded ?

troggy

Reaction score
No I'm going next year, so let the lodge keep my deposit.
HELLO , MY WIFE AND I HAVE FISHED OUT OF SKEENA LODGE TWICE, 2015 AND 2018. REALLY NICE PEOPLE, RIVER IN SEPTEMBER FULL OF STEELHEAD AND SALMON, HOWEVER, TALK ABOUT ONE HAND TIED BEHIND YOUR BACK, IN 2015 THE WHOEVER DECIDES THE METHODS WHICH CAN BE USED TO FISH DECIDED THAT NOT ONLY WERE ANGLERS RESTRICTED TO SINGLE HOOKS , BUT BY THE TIME WE WENT BACK FOR A SECOND GO ON THE STEELHEAD, WE COULD ONLY USE BARBLESS HOOKS, THE RESULT WAS FISH AFTER FISH BUMPING OFF, SNATCH N GRAB , EXCITING FOR SURE, BUT FRUSTRATING. BUT AN AMAZING RIVER THE SKEENA, THE NEARER TO THE SEA, E.G SKEENA ONE, YOU CAN NEGOTIATE, THE WILDER AND MORE EXCITING IT GETS. THE SIZE OF THE WOLVES PATROLLING THE SHORELINE EATING THE SPENT SALMON WASHED UP KIND OF PUTS YOU OFF ASKING THE GUIDE TO BEACH THE BOAT FOR A PEE. HOWEVER, RESTRICTIONS ON METHODS ASIDE, I CAN WITHOUT HESITATION RECOMMEND THE SKEENA LODGE GUIDES, ALSO, HALF DECENT ACCOMODATION AND THE FOOD WAS TOP NOTCH.

lefthandup

Reaction score
My steelhead trip got knocked on the head too. Very sad...
I think it's been a blessing Lukasz, for me anyway.
Bulkley is blown or was and the runs are not good and similar to last year.
Next year could (I hope) be very different 🤞

Reaction score
I was planning to set up a trip for next year but with the way the covid is going I reckon I’ll have to hold off until the year after. ☹☹☹

phatagrova

Reaction score
BC is a stunning location , But Steelhead fishing is not a numbers game, for those who haven't tried it , and last years run (2019) was very low in , the General skeena system, you have to be prepared to have blank days , that's the reality .
Id advise anyone going, to go fully guided , & try and find out what rivers or access to waters that the outfitter has, There is classified and unclassified water , There is without no doubt lodges that offer a better experience than others, and those that do, prices are higher , You don't want to be limited to one river , or a certain stretch within it only fishing a few holes ,
Find out whats a typical days itinerary , and this includes the travel time between your lodge and the river ,, the travelling can be very time consuming part of the day if access to water isn't local, reducing your actual time fishing

sgellert

Reaction score
Yeah in general I think it is, but not all lodges announce how many, so might be worth asking before putting down your money.

phatagrova

Reaction score
Surely its less expensive the more anglers per guide ?
Im not sure if we are talking about the same issue here , The comment was -- "Also beware how many anglers per guide. If more than 2, it can become quite challenging."
So if you are booked in to an outfitters lodge they have guides that work for them and depending on the number of guests staying at the lodge you will be assigned to a guide to take you fishing , he could also be taking another one or two or more anglers with him ,, depending on circumstance , It then isn't about being less expensive the more anglers per guide , (as you ask) because usually your not paying or tipping the guides daily as the guide is included in your overall cost , Most if not all anglers will leave a tip to be spilt between the guides at the end of their trip,
Its about a guide trying to look after more than two rods and spreading his attention fairly, and that the water your fishing has enough space for each angler that your not crowded.
I should also add that there nothing as frustrating, to be taken to a river that you have visited before , and the guide restricts his guiding to covering only, two , or three pools , when you know there also nicer pools further down stream , When you ask are we not going to fish further down , you are told No just this area, basically trying to have a handy day out

Last edited:

lefthandup

Reaction score
Im not sure if we are talking about the same issue here , The comment was -- "Also beware how many anglers per guide. If more than 2, it can become quite challenging."
So if you are booked in to an outfitters lodge they have guides that work for them and depending on the number of guests staying at the lodge you will assigned to a guide to take you fishing , he could also be taking another one or two anglers with him ,, depending on circumstance , It then isn't about being less expensive the more anglers per guide , (as you ask) because usually your not paying or tipping the guides daily as the guide is included in your overall cost , Most if not all anglers will leave a tip to be spilt between the guides at the end of their trip,
Its about a guide trying to look after more than two rods and spreading his attention fairly, and that the water your fishing has enough space for each angler that your not crowded
Ah, cheers for that.
We never used guides last year so I'm not up to scratch on how the whole lodge/guide application works.

sgellert

Reaction score
My sentence was possibly not perfectly clear, thanks for elaborating phatagrova :)
Last year I was at Skeena and surrounding systems, and I was the only guy using spinning gear at the lodge.
That didn't really work out when teaming up with flyfishermen, since spinning and flyfishing for coho is usually very different, so the last 3-4 days I had my own personal guide, which was awesome for me at least!
OI000021~3.JPG

squimp

Reaction score
‘The Field’ magazine has an article on steelhead fishing in the current issue.

I’ve been to that very lodge and what the article doesn’t tell you is that even though you have to be helicoptered in, you are still competing for water with other anglers.......

Beautiful place and some lovely fish though.