Skeena and tribs, second week of Sept. What Have I forgotten?

SJF

Reaction score
Well I''m off to the Skeena in the second week of Sept. I have rods and Skagit lines, I've tied some of odd looking chickens on tubes. What little bits and pieces may I forget to take? How cold and wet may it be?

Is there anything special I should take ( other than a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr old )? Any tips Or tips on tips?

labrax

Reaction score
Hi
You will need lots of backing on your reel and a good selection of T tips in various weights and lengths as often the fish are running very close to the bottom.listen closely to what your guide tells you to do.
The weather in September is pleasant, think uk autumn.you need to be prepared for adverse weather but with luck you won’t need it.
I am off there next Sunday and the forecast is for high twenties, it wasn’t like that when I went before in Sepember when we lost 1 day to high and dirty water.
Have a great time

phatagrova

Reaction score
Well I''m off to the Skeena in the second week of Sept. I have rods and Skagit lines, I've tied some of odd looking chickens on tubes. What little bits and pieces may I forget to take? How cold and wet may it be?

Is there anything special I should take ( other than a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr old )? Any tips Or tips on tips?
The weather will be like a nice summers day, with snow capped peaks in the horizon, strong barbless hooks , leader, and a few flies is all that's needed , don't try and complicate things , a few mixtures T8 , T11, T14 tips,
Are you guided? The Skeena is one of the biggest watersheds you will see, and can blow out easy , in which case you would be fishing other tribs , its fast at the best of times from summer onwards
Guides are needed in my opinion, they will keep you right , If you want to ty a few flies there's loads of info out there , but basically a pink fly with lots of flash and movement works will , Blue or purple as an alternative, and work the fly , they love the chase

Birkin

Reaction score
The weather will be like a nice summers day, with snow capped peaks in the horizon, strong barbless hooks , leader, and a few flies is all that's needed , don't try and complicate things , a few mixtures T8 , T11, T14 tips,
Are you guided? The Skeena is one of the biggest watersheds you will see, and can blow out easy , in which case you would be fishing other tribs , its fast at the best of times from summer onwards
Guides are needed in my opinion, they will keep you right , If you want to ty a few flies there's loads of info out there , but basically a pink fly with lots of flash and movement works will , Blue or purple as an alternative, and work the fly , they love the chase
Can only add that the hooks need to be strong and I use Owner SSW All purpose bait hooks, Model 5315-091 in size 2, 4 and 6 with the barb clipped. Your reel needs to have a good clutch and I would add T17 and even T20 to your tips. Try this guy for flies to tie he has a great YouTube site.
Jay Nicholas
- YouTube

S

stuki

Hi , Just back from a week in the Skeena valley and i would recommend t14 and t17 both in 5ft and 10ft pre welded or looped for quick change/add , short shooting head and running line and a spool of 25lb Seaguar fluoro min , I took my 15ft spey rod large arbour reel good drag and 200 yards of backing unless your a good sprinter ! and i was glad of it everyday !
All the things that Phatagrova listed is spot on , When the sun was blazing in the afternoon i used my 12ft 3 piece spin rod and shimano bait runner and bounced the fly in deep holes with a lead weight as the fish head to the shade in the bright sun good alternative for a backup/rest
Good luck

labrax

Reaction score
This last week on the Skeena was very unusual in that the early part was very hot 35C and that didn’t help the fishing. We spent the Monday and Tuesday fishing the Kitimat numbers of Pinks and Chum were landed.
The rest of the week was on the Skeena, very difficult fishing until the weather broke at the end of the week.
In the cooler weather the Sockeye were running and could be found along the bottom in faster water.
Occasional Steelhead and Coho were running with them. this sort of fishing requires abrasion resistant tippet(20Lb Maxima) as you are often caught up on the rocks when fishing in the zone. I lost a big Coho due to damaged Tippet.
We were using T8 to T14 tips with unweighted flies,usually 10 ft later,in the season you may need to go heavier. You can always snag fish by going heavier in tips and flies but that is not my scene but appears to be a very common method on the Skeena, particularly when the Salmon season opened again today
I finished the week with 3 Pinks, 3 Sockeye and 2 Steelhead to 12 Lb. I lost 3 big fish and quite a number of other unidentifiable fish in the week. Considering the adverse weather I was not unhappy.
Steelhead to 17Lb were landed by my group.
Enjoy your time there.

S

stuki

Skeena/Terrace 2018

S

stuki

Skeena/Kittimat/Terrace/ 2018 July

I managed to land about 7 Chinook to 32lb and about 5 Chum to 25lb and numerous Sockeye in my 3 days Salmon fishing , ive uploaded a few of the pictures and yes they were all safely put back for the C&R brigade !
Many fish i never landed and lots i never got to see ! But many memorable battles . I did a couple of days on the Skeena with a few Steelhead hookups but didnt manage to land them as they went crazy and threw the fly , only Sockeye there but all silver bars .
Next time itll be Coho i think mid Aug to Sep ! Its on the to do list
Good luck

GeeBee

Reaction score
based on my trips out west, I would add if you are drifting all day - extra sunglasses. I carry three pairs. immodium. germolene, paracetemol, TCP, plasters, pliers, LED torch, TP, wipes.

for your room, make sure you have all your chargimg cables, plugs and adaptors for your phone, camera and laptop/tablet/chromebook etc

have fun.