Skeena 2021

labrax

Reaction score
I am booked to go Terrace at the end of July, postponed from last year.
What do you think are the chances of the Canadians letting me in by then?
I am due my second vaccine in 10 days so that shouldn’t be a problem.

sgellert

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, beginning of August.
Here in Denmark, everyone is supposed to have their second shot by late June.
I'm semi optimistic ;)

lefthandup

Reaction score
That's fine having your vaccination but the chances will depend on what's happening over there and what regulations the Canadian government set.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Yip...I'm almost resigned to changing my plans to somewhere more exotic this year.
Hopefully back out Skeena way next year.

labrax

Reaction score
I agree we may be ok but we will be totally dependent on other countries letting us in.
All very depressing only light at the end of the tunnel is that we should be allowed to travel within England to fish by the end of march.Still not the same as standing in a river such as the Skeena which you know is full of fish. Hooking and landing them is another matter. 😃

labrax

Reaction score
I have been following the Covid-19 situation in BC quite closely.
They are currently seeing a big surge in numbers of ”cases” and have had a slow rollout of vaccines.
They are unlikely to allow foreign tourists until much later in the year if at all.
But more importantly with their current rates they are predicted to be on the UK‘s red list so mandatory quarantine in a government hotel will be needed!
we will know more in a couple of weeks when the official traffic light system is announced.

Michael_D_CPA

Reaction score
Hi from Canada, ya we are closed down in the midst of the third wave and working hard to get vaccines out (we have no domestic supply).

Right above, it all depends on the USA and our long, shared, pourous border. I watch this closely, as my fishing is an hour away across it; otherwiise 2-3 hours of driving as I am right now. Lots of complexities with international travels, such as India and we've closed off flights from there.

So, your link for any updates is here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/menu-eng.html

Currently there is a 2 week quarantine, 3 days of which are in an approved hotel. Quarantine does not include a fishing lodge, although you can get creative with your outfitter at your own risk. Driving acrosss the border is similar.

labrax

Reaction score
Just changed my booking to July 2022, hopefully it will have all settled down by then 🤞

Loyalist84

Reaction score
Another Canadian, you made the right call. Right now I can't even travel to New Brunswick to the Miramichi, so I doubt they'll open external borders until November-ish at the very latest.

labrax

Reaction score
Today I should have been arriving at Heathrow from BC.
The weather in Terrace looked to have been good for fishing!
I see that BC are now going to be letting in vaccinated tourists from the 7th September, just 6 weeks to late for me 😭
Good luck to those who have booked trips in September and October, roll on next year for me.

sgellert

Reaction score
I should have gone to Skeena this week, but got the trip moved to 1st of October.
I'm reasonably confident, as much as I'm actually starting to tie some flies for it (it's too windy to fish anyway).

sevilla315

Reaction score
From what I've read on other forums, it was a lucky escape, steelhead returns in BC have been disastrous.
They may just be late but I wouldn't bank on it.

PB

Reaction score
From what I've read on other forums, it was a lucky escape, steelhead returns in BC have been disastrous.
They may just be late but I wouldn't bank on it.
I'm flying out on 25th September to fish the Skeena for steelhead. What are the other forums you've been reading?

PB.

Gunny

Reaction score
The Skeena River steelhead fishery has collapsed this year, please see the statement from the BC Federation of Fly Fishers.

Skeena Urgent Message - BCFFF.jpg

phatagrova

Reaction score
Catches of steelhead over the last number of yrs have dropped significantly in BC on the Skeena and tribs, on my last trip a few yrs back i assumed it was one of those yrs or i was just unlucky , but Ive read to much information from locals and tourists who can access these waters with easeand short notice , and all are saying the steelhead have collapsed , rivers that should be producing fish are poor , I'm not sure how the classified locations of the Skeena are producing fish but , all anglers are complaining the the swims are void of fish ,

lefthandup

Reaction score
Such a shame for what is a marvelous place to fish and for a equally marvellous fish to catch.