Skagit question

Newly From The Sea

Reaction score
Hi I posted this in another thread without an answer so decided to start a new thread and see if I get a better response.. so my apologies for duplicating.

I was thinking of using a skagit on my older 14' redington red fly rated #9 for those early spring and late autumn days.
I assume the through action of this rod would be suitable for skagit casts? and as I do not know the gramm rating for my rod would I use the 550gm Skagit 9 or the lighter 450gm Skagit 8 from Rio.
Lastly, could I use the 15' tips that came with my #9 loop quattro (the old white one)
Many thanks

pond.olive

Reaction score
I would expect the information you require to be more readily forthcoming if you were to post the question on the American Spey Clave site. It may also be useful to ask the guys at Redington.

Springer

Reaction score
Hi I posted this in another thread without an answer so decided to start a new thread and see if I get a better response.. so my apologies for duplicating.

I was thinking of using a skagit on my older 14' redington red fly rated #9 for those early spring and late autumn days.
I assume the through action of this rod would be suitable for skagit casts? and as I do not know the gramm rating for my rod would I use the 550gm Skagit 9 or the lighter 450gm Skagit 8 from Rio.
Lastly, could I use the 15' tips that came with my #9 loop quattro (the old white one)
Many thanks

450gr will be way to light, I even think 550 will be on the light side for that rod, I would go 600gr.

IMHO the best skagit lines on the market are the Airflo ones, they come in 600gr, I have used up to 660 on a 14' rod before without problems but your Redington I think will go well at 600.

Yes you could use the Loop tips in sink3 and sink7, I dont really see the point of skagit if your using the clear inter tip but give it a try if you want. :)

beanieboy

Reaction score
I use the 660g Airflo Compact on my Orvis Trident 14' #9 - perfect match.

finuge

Reaction score

Many thanks

RIO DO A 600gr SKAGIT JUST GOT ONE TODAY FROM AMERICA PM ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE TO GET IT.

Newly From The Sea

Reaction score
Many thanks.

Brilliant guys, thank you all,
because of my passion for light lines over the years I wondered if the 600 would be too heavy for my 14 footer but when you think of it.. the extra weight is needed to load the rod with such a short head.

Springer
I will have a look at the Airflo lines as it always good have a recomendation.
I am pleased I can recycle the Loop tips and I agree only the sinkers are worth using

Springer

Reaction score
I prefer the Airflo skagit lines for two primary reasons.

1. They cast very nicely.

2. There are stand alone heads so that means I dont need a dedicated reel to put it on. I can carry a skagit and tips and change from shooting head to skagit if the conditions dictate.

I think Rio are losing a lot of business by making their Skagit lines with integrated running line, this makes them far less versatile IMHO. The fact that an Airflo skagit head only costs £29.99 as opposed to a much more expensive Rio product is also a good thing.

minitube

Reaction score
I would expect the information you require to be more readily forthcoming if you were to post the question on the American Spey Clave site. It may also be useful to ask the guys at Redington.

Would respectfully have to disagree with you there Richard. There has been, and indeed there is a wealth of information available on Skagit set ups on this site also, or for the asking here, especially from Springer. I have used it as a resource myself.

Last edited:

Newly From The Sea

Reaction score
Update on skagits.

After reading Springers advice I looked for an Airflo 600g skagit on ebay and found a 630g one for sale @ £19.95 boxed and brand new.. this is real bargain thinks I... so googled again and found this link on a steelhead forum.
www.flyfishingresearch.net/goodsetups/pairinglineswithrods.html
This is well worth reading and is very illuminating regarding Skagit weights
this along with the excellent advice from Springer made up my mind and I have bought the above line, after all what can you lose at that price..

I will post an update when I have tried it.
Stuart

Last edited:

beanieboy

Reaction score
Have to agree with the above post from Minitube, the breath of knowledge available from this forum never ceases to amaze me - Minitube himself being one of those who, to put is mildly, 'knows his onions'.

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
After reading Springers advice I looked for an Airflo 600g skagit on ebay and found a 630g one for sale @ £19.95 boxed and brand new.. this is real bargain thinks I... so googled again and found this link on a steelhead forum.
www.flyfishingresearch.net/goodsetups/pairinglineswithrods.html
This is well worth reading and is very illuminating regarding Skagit weights
this along with the excellent advice from Springer made up my mind and I have bought the above line, after all what can you lose at that price..

I will post an update when I have tried it.
Stuart

I would urge anyone thinking of reading that article not to bother. It is very misleading, at times inaccurate and ultimately quite pointless IMHO. I cant see any point in writing all those words to ultimately say what it does which I honestly believe would be a hindrance to anyone considering trying a skagit set-up.

Not everything that is written on the internet is always useful or accurate.

ibm59

Reaction score
You've gone Skagit - good god man, what's got into you?

Wuff Wuff Wuffity Wuff Wuff.:D

Just another string to the very old bow , Gary.
Doesn't come out very often , but it's a godsend in the right situation.:)

Bargany on the Girvan last October was a perfect situation for the Skagit head.

ibm59

Reaction score
Would yer shooting heads no do just as good ?

Not really , Gus.

One particular pool sticks in my mind.
No possibiity of wading , fast deep water , overhead and bankside vegitation within 10' of water , and the lie on the far side of a very varied , and fast , current.

I wanted to get the fly down and fishing the moment it hit the water , keep the fly down , and also be able to mend the line to keep the fly on the far side of the current.

With the skagit + 2' cheater + 15' superdooper fast sinking tip from the Monty Sunk line multi tip , I was able to do all of this with only 3' of running line outside the rodtip.

Worked a treat.:)

Scanny

Reaction score
I used a 660 Compact on the 13'2 and it went very nicely. Spent an hour with a forum member casting into a stiff Tay upstream breeze at a meet, it easily justified having it in the bag

Edenfisher

Reaction score
So if you buy an Airflo Skagit head for around £3ish you can use just about any fast sinking tip from a normal multitip you may already have have such as the the Loop,Windcutter etc, there would be no need to spend another £20 or so on the custom tips made by Airflo. Would normal 10 foot polyleders work as well on this head without the aid of a cheater, because as I understand it the head needs to be 3.5 times the length of your rod to give you an anchor?

Springer

Reaction score
So if you buy an Airflo Skagit head for around £3ish you can use just about any fast sinking tip from a normal multitip you may already have have such as the the Loop,Windcutter etc, there would be no need to spend another £20 or so on the custom tips made by Airflo. Would normal 10 foot polyleders work as well on this head without the aid of a cheater, because as I understand it the head needs to be 3.5 times the length of your rod to give you an anchor?

Airflo polys = useless

Other 15' tips from multi-tip lines = OK

330gr Custon Cut tips from Airflo = the proper joby for deep fishing.

3x length of rod = just as good. :)