Skagit -Putting it all together

salmonshrimp

Reaction score
No worries Neil

As long as you are aware, I had noticed in the past that some lines weld better than others I guess it depends on the plastic used to coat the line.

I suppose you could whip a small part of the weld for extra security if desired ;)

gerry atric

Reaction score
BZ, Could you just clarify which tip you use on the Iroda 70 as I have purchased one and I am not sure if the extra tip that comes with the torch is the hot air.
Many thanks
Gerry

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Hi Gerry,

The set I have, came with a standard Soldering Iron plus 3 Additional Tips - one of which was a Hot Air Tip. I also purchased a Diffuser Tip (Click to View) that pushes onto the end of the Hot Air Tip.

If purchasing just the Soldering Iron on its own you would need to buy a Hot Air Tip and a Diffuser Tip extra.

Here is a picture that should help.

You can adjust the temperature by using the little lever operated valve but also you can slide the Diffuser up and down the Tip.

Cheers
Neil

gerry atric

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your advise.
I have the diffuser but was unsure which tip was required, from the Iroda info it looks like an SO6 or Maplin ref NO6AQ ?

Gerry

Last edited:

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
From the Iroda website (Click here to display) it looks like an S-07 Heat Blower and an S-30 Deflector or if you could get hold of one then a combined S-08 would be ideal.

You can tell which one it is, as you can see a little bit of fine mesh gauze inside.

I think the S-06 is a Blow Torch for soldering and will be way too hot.

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Neil

Newly From The Sea

Reaction score
can you use..

let me add my thanks on such a great post.
can I ask all you Skagit experts a question.
I was thinking of using a skagit on my older 14' redington red fly rated #9 for those early spring and late autumn days.
I assume the through action of this rod would be suitable for skagit casts? and as I do not know the gramm rating for my rod would I use the 550gm Skagit 9 or the lighter 450gm Skagit 8 from Rio.
Lastly, could I use the 15' tips that came with my #9 loop quattro (the old white one)
Many thanks

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Hi Newly From The Sea,

Sorry I missed this post earlier. I am no expert in these things but would go along with what Springer says in your other post (Click here to view)

I think what most folk do (myself include) is to carry a Skagit Head along with their other Shooting Heads, changing over where the situation dictates.

What I have noticed however that a Skagit Line for your average 14 or 15 footer is akin to a washing line which gets the job done but lacks finesse.

My feeling is that to get the best from this style of fishing you need to scale everything down. What I plan on doing this season is to carry a much lighter 2nd rod set up for Skagit. I am going to use a 12’6” #7/8 with a Skagit around or over the 500 grain mark. Hopefully this will give me the benefits of the Skagit but hopefully be a bit nicer to fish with. Still not delicate presentation but hopefully heading in the right direction.

Taking it a step further, if all goes well then I will permanently weld the head to the running line or even use a fully integrated line to make it easier to bring the join inside the tip ring when fishing close in.

Cheers
Neil

haugh

Reaction score
hi saw this thread earlier in the week. used the shrink tube method once at the end of last season. now inspired to try further; have got the soldering iron, the correct attachments, have ordered more shrink tube can't wait to get on...very inspiring thanks! Johnny

yespsb

Reaction score
Almost there

Quick question for the more experienced Skagit users - I have an Airflo compact Skagit line rated at 500 grains, what weight or length of T14 could I attach and reasonably expect to turnover when casting bearing in mind I have never tried to the slow and steady sustained anchor style of casting yet ;)

Kolaloon

Reaction score
I don't pretend to be an "expert" but was advised in Alaska and have used, a 500 grain skagit on my #7/8-weight rod successfully. For a #9/10-weight rod, a 650 grain Rio or 660 grain Airflo Compact skagit works nicely. I use a 720 Airflo Compact skagit on my 15 ft #10/11 rod.

Now, as to T-14, this stuff sinks at 9"/sec. I've used custom-cut lengths of 5 ft to 15 ft on the big rod, but fear that T-14 in any longer than say 7-9 ft may overload a #7/8. It may be safer and equally effective to use an Airflo salmon extra-strong 10 ft tip of an appropriate sink-rate or, if you must use T-14, make sure you do the sustained-anchor casting style, which seems less stressful on the rod.

Hope someone else can chip-in their tuppence worth on this as I would be interested to hear other views.

Best.

K

Springer

Reaction score
Quick question for the more experienced Skagit users - I have an Airflo compact Skagit line rated at 500 grains, what weight or length of T14 could I attach and reasonably expect to turnover when casting bearing in mind I have never tried to the slow and steady sustained anchor style of casting yet ;)

What rod are you planning to use this on?

yespsb

Reaction score
Choices, choices

Hi Alan, since we met up I have bought a truck load of gear :eek: I was thinking of using the 13' 7" Mieser rod you played around with because I think its best suited to the Skagit style, the stated grain window is large as it seems to be with all Bobs rods (550 to 850) so I have some lee way.

I also have other Skagit lines but I guess what I was driving at was is there a general ratio between the Skagit line and the tips, for example 4 - 1 In this example a 500grain Skagit head would take circa a 125grain tip.

BTW I also have 2 LeCies, 3 Loop Bluelines, 1 Loop Evotec and a baby Beulah switch rod with a dedicated Skagit line. Hence the :eek:

Big thanks to Neil, amazing thread and wonderful clarity and also thanks to all the other replies, ATB Paul

Last edited:

lax

Reaction score
a couple of technical questions......!

First of all... Fantastic thread, it goes without saying really, but after reading this and fishing my skagit quite a bit so far this season, I have a couple of tecnical questions...
First of all the shrink tubing... I'm not sure which gauge stuff to get. im presume around 2.5mm-3.5mm core would be ideal?
I have a link here and would like to buy some but not sure which...
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/b..._CC&catalogId=&prevNValues=411+500001+1003810

Also the soldering iron and tips... the same place sells Iroda but your advice would be really appreciated on which one would suit best for the splicing purposes..

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/b..._CC&catalogId=&prevNValues=411+1001294+500001

your help is much appreciated

simonsmith

Reaction score
Can't comment anymore on what everybody else has had to say, really neat and informative, and a fantastic thread. Just a big thanks for the info on a really streamlined set-up that makes me re-think my own set-up and leader attachment, and a big credit for taking the time to share. Very useful!!

haugh

Reaction score
I bought my shrink tube on ebay, "quality fishing tackle" Dave Skirrow . got 2mm and 3mm which seem fine. Quick delivery. Trying it out last weekend you need to move things fast so they don't over heat and roll when molten to get a smooth finish. Not as easy as it looks on the pictures but the results at the end are good.

Johnny

Springer

Reaction score
I still think hair straighteners are the easiest head source to use - £4.99 from Argos.

SP8

Reaction score
OK guys, got my 30ft of Rio t14, got my suitable floating line but pretty much failed at the first hurdle.
My problem is getting a needle an inch up the floating line. Even with a pin vice as shown in the sbs I struggle to get half inch up and then I cant get the stripped t14 to go all the way through. I have always had this problem in the past when trying to needle knot a leader to a fly line through the core.
Any tips (no pun!) or should I just go with braided loops?

SP8

worktofish

Reaction score
It's hard to get the needle in hold it and force it in with a pair of pliers little bit at a time very fine needle to start then go bigger then pull 3lb line through the hole use that to pull 12lb line

SP8

Reaction score
It's hard to get the needle in hold it and force it in with a pair of pliers little bit at a time very fine needle to start then go bigger then pull 3lb line through the hole use that to pull 12lb line
I'll try that although I have been using a fine needle in a pin vice. I should have thought of putting finer nylon through first.

SP8