Skagit line help

GBadgley

Reaction score
Howdy, So, I have a 9' 6wt rod. I have matched this up with the OPST skagit line 225 grain as recommended by OPST. I have a 5 ' sink tip, and 3 ', or more ,of leader. I am having trouble casting heavier streamers. I was wondering if when I retrieve I bring the skagit line through the top guide, or maybe two. Right now I just retrieve and bring it up to the top tip, but never through them. It just feels like the skagit head is too long. What's everybody doing to cast those heavier flies. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

boomdocker

Reaction score
I'm fishing an 11' switch rod with a ~400gr integrated skagit head, 10' sink tip and 4' leader
Fishing small weighted tube flies i need to pull the skagit head/running line connection right down to the last eye in order to get the rod loaded
If I have all the head outside the rod it simply doesn; work
Don't be afraid to experiment with bring the head through the eyes - of course I guess you really need an integrated line to do this

jimmythefish

Reaction score
I'm fishing an 11' switch rod with a ~400gr integrated skagit head, 10' sink tip and 4' leader
Fishing small weighted tube flies i need to pull the skagit head/running line connection right down to the last eye in order to get the rod loaded
Don't be afraid to experiment with bring the head through the eyes - of course I guess you really need an integrated line to do this
Perfect 👍

Isisalar

Reaction score
Which are these integrated Skagit heads?

boomdocker

Reaction score
here you go:

As you can see it's described as 'skagit-style head'
To be honest I wouldn't describe it as that, doesn't have the weight of a skagit head for me

I also have a setup with a 20' Maxcatch Skagit head , loop to loop on a 100' running line and it shoots out way way better than the Cortland line
Handy to have it integrated though

Isisalar

Reaction score
My Skagit set up is 600grain and it suits both my 11'6" and 13'6" rods, it's just the loop to loop that's annoying. I found a saltwater line on the Aventik site, at Ali express, which looked promising as they go up to AFTM 13 but according to weight charts even that is way less than 600 grains. I'm mulling over other solutions possibly 2 braided loops or nail knotting the head to some Amnesia running line.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
I cover the loop2loop with a short section of thin walled shrink tube to smooth its passage through the guides.
To shrink the tube carefully apply steam from a kettle spout.
Do not use glue lined shrink tube 😜

Eliminates the need for an intgrated running line and is easily removed with a fine tip pair of scissors.

Attachments

• E9BBC489-A851-423E-8FB6-074BB7905EA0.jpeg
    E9BBC489-A851-423E-8FB6-074BB7905EA0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Jer

Reaction score
Howdy, So, I have a 9' 6wt rod. I have matched this up with the OPST skagit line 225 grain as recommended by OPST. I have a 5 ' sink tip, and 3 ', or more ,of leader. I am having trouble casting heavier streamers. I was wondering if when I retrieve I bring the skagit line through the top guide, or maybe two. Right now I just retrieve and bring it up to the top tip, but never through them. It just feels like the skagit head is too long. What's everybody doing to cast those heavier flies. Thanks in advance!
Hey GBadgley,
I did experiment with a similar OPST set up only to find I simply wasnt able to achieve the same fluid results as on the OPST videos.
Generally a skagit type system does work better where the head is outside of the rod tip.... either on a loop to loop or integrated “connection”... maybe you should drop the folks at OPST a quick mail and ask them.
From what you say you are having some difficulty casting... I would just check to be sure you have the correct weight of head and it’s tip for your rod....
If there is one thing to watch .... because of a loss of tension in the d loop the rod is pushed rather than pulled through the forward casting stroke.... tension is the key and the correct application of the 5 fundamentals the answer.
That said, I personally don’t think that the single handed OPST set up is that easy to cast.... unless your casting fundamentals are quite good... d loop, anchor placement 180 degree principle and forward cast... keeping tension at all times and keeping in plain and maintaining a straight line path.... there are a lot of things to go wrong and little chance of recovery compared to a weight forward line...
My OPST definitely has a use in fishing for salmon on smaller rivers in the future... however it’s on the shelf at present and I’ve gone back to basics with a WF #5WT 9ft set up and Bill Gammels videos to try and correct years of misuse
Hope this helps

devonshire

Reaction score

Hi GBadgley,
I tried a setup similar to you recently 9ft #6/7 rod with a 225gr commando head. This was fishing a small tree lined river with very little elbow room. In the end the setup I found best was to not use a 'tip' at all and just put a 10ft (Airflo Salmon) polyleader on the end of the head with 4-5ft of tippet. I found I could cast some very heavy flies as far as I needed with this setup. I tried both a fast sink and intermediate density polys and it worked a treat for me.

Worth giving it a go!

Jeff

Reaction score
I’ve a Royal Wolff Ambush taper line with a 29 ft 600 grain head integrated into the running line. It does everything my various weights Skagit separate shooting heads do in terms of carrying full tips/T14/T20 To the point where I no longer use the Skagits.
otherwise I use various Gaelforce Equaliser heads for working with versileaders/polytips/tapered mono.