Skagit line help

GBadgley

Reaction score
Howdy, So, I have a 9' 6wt rod. I have matched this up with the OPST skagit line 225 grain as recommended by OPST. I have a 5 ' sink tip, and 3 ', or more ,of leader. I am having trouble casting heavier streamers. I was wondering if when I retrieve I bring the skagit line through the top guide, or maybe two. Right now I just retrieve and bring it up to the top tip, but never through them. It just feels like the skagit head is too long. What's everybody doing to cast those heavier flies. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

boomdocker

Reaction score
I'm fishing an 11' switch rod with a ~400gr integrated skagit head, 10' sink tip and 4' leader
Fishing small weighted tube flies i need to pull the skagit head/running line connection right down to the last eye in order to get the rod loaded
If I have all the head outside the rod it simply doesn; work
Don't be afraid to experiment with bring the head through the eyes - of course I guess you really need an integrated line to do this

jimmythefish

Reaction score
I'm fishing an 11' switch rod with a ~400gr integrated skagit head, 10' sink tip and 4' leader
Fishing small weighted tube flies i need to pull the skagit head/running line connection right down to the last eye in order to get the rod loaded
If I have all the head outside the rod it simply doesn; work
Don't be afraid to experiment with bring the head through the eyes - of course I guess you really need an integrated line to do this
Perfect 👍