Skagit line for Shakey

Johnfisher

Reaction score
Hi all. Just started Salmon and ST fishing this year. I bought a Shakespeare 11ft 8/9wt switch rod. Have bought running line and a Maxcatch shooting head at 24ft 600grain after reading this would match the rod elsewhere. I have since read on older posts in here advising 450grain for the same rod. Any advice on what grain shooting head I need. PS will be skagit casting. Cheers in advance.

Jock

Reaction score
No experience of the Maxcatch shooting head although at 24' it is more skagit length than shooting head. Plenty of experience of the rod and 600 is too heavy. I mostly use a 7/8 switch line on the rod which is 27g over 33' It can handle both lighter and heavier lines. I'd be looking at between 350 to 450 skagit wise. Below is a link to me trying out various cheaper lines on the rod a few years back. Don't remember trying a skagit on it but it does skagit type casts easy enough. Do you really want/need a skagit line for this rod?

Last edited:

Johnfisher

Reaction score
I thought I needed a Skagit line as some spots have no back cast area due to trees but looking at your vid you don't have a back cast. It's all new to me so happy for any advice. I did also buy a 450grain maxcatch skagit head so will try that. Might look into a 7/8wt barrio switch too.

Last edited:

Gosling

Reaction score
The barrio 7/8 switch is supposed to be good on this rod. I have the Shakespeare switch line on it and it’s very good. The other alternative is the airflo switch I think they are £25 in Glasgow angling but I don,t know if they go up to that weight.