Skagit confusion

Soundmixer

Reaction score
I have been through pretty much everything on here about Skagits but I am still a bit unsure about which weight compared to Spey and Scandi lines.
I have a Greys XF2S 12' #7 and I have come to realise that the #7 is pretty meaningless because line manufacturers #7 can have huge variations. The heaviest OPST Commando is well under the weights for this rod and it is rated as a #9!
The recommended line weights on the rod are as follows-

Shooting head - 38', 32 grams, 494 grains
Short Spey - 45', 36 grams, 555 grains
Medium Spey - 52', 40 grams, 617 grains

The rod likes the shooting head weight but I am sure that it could handle a bit more quite easily. I haven't tried the short and medium Spey lines yet. I use Mackenzie DTX heads, floating and floating/inter tip (my current favourite head). I also have a Greys XF2S 14' #9 with the same lines but it is the 12' that I need the Skagit help.

Rightly or wrongly I have come to a 20' 500 grain Skagit conclusion (about the same as the Scandi) but before I part with the cash can anyone else chip in with any advise? I have 6' Rio Versileaders in 3" and 4" per second sink rate as well as all the 10' Versileaders from the 14' rod.
So, which line weight would you guys recommend? Are the tips OK for use with a Skagit or do I need MOWS?
Also, can a Skagit with an inter tip handle a 15' tapered leader (a successful method of mine)
I do love the 12' Greys, so much so that the 14' rod is usually my spare but I would like it to be even more versatile.
So have at it chaps, what do i need?

Euan

D

Don CurlyHorny

Hi Soundmixer

Instead of the Skagit, have you considered the Airflo Rage instead, im sure you will have, length and dia in between a scandi and a skagit, my favourite heads, carries heavy tips and tubes with ease and casts a dream

Id plump for 510 or less depending on your style.

At £20 a pop, you simply cant go wrong...Norris`s

DCH

Last edited:
D

Don CurlyHorny

telling fibs, the float heads are now £30...pick of the range but worth it

I also have the hover/int and they get down well

DCH

SAINTEE

Reaction score
Don't use versi leaders with a skagit.....use mow tips or depending on rod length etc 10-20 ft of tungsten tips for casting heavy flees....waterborne anchored casts mind with heavy tips or you'll break your rod unless you get a lighter skagit

JSO

Reaction score
If you are looking at OPST for the 12ft 7wt I suggest a 350gr Commando head with the OPST 12ft tips which are 132gr.. I use this set up on 12' 6" 7wt Zenith and it is brilliant. email OPST or Baltic Flyfisher they will put you right.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Hi Soundmixer

Instead of the Skagit, have you considered the Airflo Rage instead, im sure you will have, length and dia in between a scandi and a skagit, my favourite heads, carries heavy tips and tubes with ease and casts a dream

Id plump for 510 or less depending on your style.

At £20 a pop, you simply cant go wrong...Norris`s

DCH

I got a few Rage heads to try on the B&W 12,6 30g shooting head rod. I make the rod a 7/8 and it works with anything from about 420 grain to 510 with the 480 being the best all-rounder. They are great short heads and even the 420 turns over a super fast 10ft Poly no problem.

D

Deleted member 945

I use the 30g Rage on that exact rod and it flies with a 10 foot tip attached (probably gets you to 32-34g total).

id say that rod is not necessarily the best for skagit as it is pretty fast actioned. I personally like a deeper loading blank for skagit. I also don't think you need a skagit line to cast the tips that you mentioned in the original post and the Rage will do all that you need IMHO.

I also tried the 35g rage on that rod and it could cast it but wasn't great. The 33g might be ok as well but if you start adding tips etc it may become a bit sluggish. Generally I overline my rods slightly to get them to flex but in the case of the Greys I didn't think it needed it and 30-32g was about bob on.

hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Soundmixer

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, all the information was much appreciated.
I will contact OPST about weight.
I am glad to see that the Skagit weights are similar to the Scandi weights and that my understanding of what I needed was correct :D
Might just have to buy a Rage to see how that goes.
Thanks again,

Euan

Soundmixer

Reaction score
Rage Compact

Thanks again to all those that gave advice. I bought a Rage Compact in 450 grains, 29 grams.
I then bought some digital scales and weighed all my tips and even the heaviest only came out at 34 grams total weight.
The RIO Scandi Light 10' in 1.5", 3" and 5" ps are an utter joy to cast and have an excellent turnover, and they all come in at a total weight of around 32grams.
Just had two days on the Lower Beauly and what I can now achieve in all conditions is a revelation.
Snake rolls took a bit of re-learning with the head being so short but circle Cs are awesome and you were all correct, the line just flies out.:cool:
The 12' XF2S is now my go to rod for 90% of my fishing.
Thanks guys,

Euan