Six Nations Rugby 2021

salarchaser

Reaction score
Has Itoji become a bad player overnight ?
Has the quality, not the form.
Quite a few of that england pack are under performing at the moment.
Lack of game time?
Lack of quality opposition at club level?
Who knows.

Going on the lions tour might be what he needs. Gatland has history for getting players to perform at their peak irrespective of their form and fitness coming into camp.

Handel

Reaction score
Has Itoji become a bad player overnight ?
When he ran out in the first England game of the 6N he looked to me heavier than I had seen him before. That weight will have slowed him down and his whole game is played on the edge, a fraction of a second slower and he is illegal. At the same time, as Austin Healey describes in his column today, referees have gone back to refereeing the laws of the game. So for Itoje it is a double hit, he is slower and they are after him.

Will he make the Lions tour? If he regresses from here with no proper rugby as he may well do then there is no point taking him. There aren't the warm up games to play him into form. And as we saw in the RWC final he can get bullied by the physically larger South African second rows.

Aled

Reaction score
Itoje is a class player i have always rated him highly.......however at the moment he is suffering from a dip in form, now don't ask me why this seems to happen to most players at some time or other. Sadly it seems to be happening to Itoje at the moment, in my opinion he will come back. Maybe some time away from Eddie will help? So a Lions tour under Gattland may be the tonic needed. Who knows!

Handel

Reaction score
The Times today names a Lions squad including 15 English players out of 36 total and 4 Scots one of whom is a South African. I assume they don't have much of a circulation in Scotland?

ozzyian

Reaction score
The Times today names a Lions squad including 15 English players out of 36 total and 4 Scots one of whom is a South African. I assume they don't have much of a circulation in Scotland?

Ahh well, it may be simpler than that. There is of course a Scottish edition of the Times. I haven't checked but I couldn't rule out that I would see 15 Scottish players (including 2 further Aussies to go with the saffer)

There probably isnt that much of a Times readership up here. Whether or not that is as a result of the sort of journalism that would pick 15 England players for that tour I wouldn't like to to comment on but I think it safe to say that they know their market:)

Handel

Reaction score
Ahh well, it may be simpler than that. There is of course a Scottish edition of the Times. I haven't checked but I couldn't rule out that I would see 15 Scottish players (including 2 further Aussies to go with the saffer)

There probably isnt that much of a Times readership up here. Whether or not that is as a result of the sort of journalism that would pick 15 England players for that tour I wouldn't like to to comment on but I think it safe to say that they know their market:)
I didn't know there is a Scottish edition. Presumably it writes about Scottish sport and has Scottish sports writers? As you say, they would name a very different squad.

It is very odd how rugby has become so inward looking. The English papers only write about England. Forty years ago they were far more outward looking and wrote about the game worldwide, which was much harder to do then than it is now.

ozzyian

Reaction score
I didn't know there is a Scottish edition. Presumably it writes about Scottish sport and has Scottish sports writers? As you say, they would name a very different squad.

It is very odd how rugby has become so inward looking. The English papers only write about England. Forty years ago they were far more outward looking and wrote about the game worldwide, which was much harder to do then than it is now.
I can't offer too much information on the differences but of course it always suffers the criticism of still being London centric.

I think that there is more tribalism in rugby these days, in fairness the media tend to bill it that way and casual support of many sports has changed in intensity. I spent nearly 20 years overseas, when I returned nearly 10 years ago I have to say I was shocked at football coverage in places where it never used to be - like the more quality end of the beeb and The Times. I think in the 90's the Times sports editors were largely unaware of the game :) gets 12 pages to itself every Saturday now.

Handel

Reaction score
I can't offer too much information on the differences but of course it always suffers the criticism of still being London centric.

I think that there is more tribalism in rugby these days, in fairness the media tend to bill it that way and casual support of many sports has changed in intensity. I spent nearly 20 years overseas, when I returned nearly 10 years ago I have to say I was shocked at football coverage in places where it never used to be - like the more quality end of the beeb and The Times. I think in the 90's the Times sports editors were largely unaware of the game :) gets 12 pages to itself every Saturday now.
I have taken to reading The Times every day and I also take a look at my wife's Telegraph (the rugby reporting is better). You are right, The Times is very London centric, the Telegraph looks further afield. I have also started looking at The Scotsman 😊.

billy fish

Reaction score
This could be my imagination running overtime , but has anyone else noticed that the BBC “teletext” coverage seems heavily biased towards the Women’s 6 Nations . There seems to me that there is far more to read on the women’s game than the men’s . This could be to do with the “bubble” the men were in coupled with Eddie’s attitude towards the press . I apologise if I have got this wrong , put it down to age.

Handel

Reaction score
Regardless of The Times, two of the Scottish coaching team will be with the Lions. It looks like you Scottish supporters will be cheered by the squad announcement in May.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Regardless of The Times, two of the Scottish coaching team will be with the Lions. It looks like you Scottish supporters will be cheered by the squad announcement in May.

Yes I noticed that, Steve Tandy in particular a great move I think. That Scottish defence is very well organised and miserly, it trusts itself and the results are there to see. It would certainly be nice to think that there are 10 or 12 Scottish hats in the ring before the final narrowing down of the squad.

The last 2 tours have featured large numbers of 'reinforcements' called up in mid tour. I think last time there were 7 - the 'geographic 7' if I remember. It became apparent that it was quite expected (which would seem correct with only 36 players and 6 games to play) I wonder why this would be. Why not expand the squad to 42 from the off so that all of them get the benefit right from the start - or is it the case that they are really just calling up tackle bags after their national tour duty?

Last edited: