Six Nations Rugby 2021

salarchaser

Reaction score
I agree that other players from across the 6 Nations who have good tournaments this year. I would of hated to have picked this team there are so many very good players to choose!
Cheers
Aled
The other thing to consider is that the best players dont always make the best team. Conversely, the best team doesnt always have the best players.

An entertaining exercise though and always sparks debate.

Its where lions selection is always emotive. The coaches will have a game plan. If that is built around power and conservatism, expansive players wont get a look in.

It can fry your brain.

ozzyian

Reaction score
World Rugby announces mouthguard trial to improve head injury detection - BBC Sport

I think this is great news. Shows the game is making an effort.

Also just seen this 6 Nations team of the tournament.

15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Louis Rees-Zammit, 13. George North, 12. Robbie Henshaw, 11. Duhan van der Merwe, 10. Johnny Sexton, 9. Antoine Dupont, 1. Wyn Jones, 2. Ken Owens, 3. Tadhg Furlong, 4. Tadhg Beirne, 5. Alun Wyn Jones, 6. CJ Stander, 7. Hamish Watson, 8. Taulupe Faletau

Thats some team! And .......ozzyian..........., Watson is included (deservedly by the way!)

Only 3 for beating England at Twickenham and France in Paris?????????????

Have a look in the history books for the last time the any of the other nations did that.

I'd expect at least 9 on that basis and maybe 3 each from Wales and Ireland. And I'd agree with Stander, it will save a return airfare.

:)

ozzyian

Reaction score
I agree that other players from across the 6 Nations who have good tournaments this year. I would of hated to have picked this team there are so many very good players to choose!
Cheers
Aled

Especially after this strange year of poor preparation, no crowds etc etc. The selection would have to take into account the old form vs class argument. If selecting on form it might actually be hard to put an Englishman into the run on side.

I would actually say that 4 years ago it was just as difficult and Gatland squandered an opportunity to compete with the ABs given the riches he had at hand. He plays his way, he wants to see a bit of rugby played but it's not expansive and ultimitely it's not very successful (in terms of the Lions anyway) He showed us last time that he doesn't pick on form. Thus, this time 2 or 3 Englishmen, coupla jocks, good handful of Welsh and Irish.

Wish I was the Lions coach. I probably would be just as unsuccessful - it would be a right exciting laugh though :)

salarchaser

Reaction score
Just saw the last try for scotland v france as a sound bite.
Brought to the fore the 'latching on' that has become prevalent.
Decades ago the 'flying wedge' was banned for player safety.
Seems to me latching is the new term for flying wedge.
1 player tackling 2 must put the tackler at risk.

Not singling scotland out, it was just the play that triggered it in my mind. All teams at all levels do it.

Handel

Reaction score
That's some teams really... but perhaps one can explain World Rugby that Dupont is not British or Irish.
7 welsh, 4 irish, 3 scotts, 1 french: That looks more like a Lion's selection than a 6 nation team.
I'm biased and claim it! As a proud frenchman, i believe at least one of Fickou, Baille, Marchand or Aldritt deserves to be listed here (more than Dupont who had 2 ok games but faded progressively through the tournament). Not to say that the players of this team do not, but there should be more proportion in relation to the quality of the games we saw
And as for the fly half, I did not know there was some extra points for water carriers to be awarded ...
Dupont might be the answer to the Lions selection problems at 9 😊.

Handel

Reaction score
Only 3 for beating England at Twickenham and France in Paris?????????????

Have a look in the history books for the last time the any of the other nations did that.

I'd expect at least 9 on that basis and maybe 3 each from Wales and Ireland. And I'd agree with Stander, it will save a return airfare.

:)
The only other nation that can do it is Ireland. And they presumably did it in their 2009 grand slam.

ozzyian

Reaction score
I would definitely take Nick Haining anyway. He's there on form imho but more importantly he has the all important previous Lions run on experience. Can play 8 or lock, hard as nails and could probably cover wing as well.

Handel

Reaction score
Fine team the 2009 Ireland one was but they beat France and Wales in Dublin, not away :)
That can't be right, they beat Wales in Cardiff that year, I was there! And on checking they beat England at Twickenham and France in Paris in 2018.

Handel

Reaction score

ozzyian

Reaction score
I would definitely take Nick Haining anyway. He's there on form imho but more importantly he has the all important previous Lions run on experience. Can play 8 or lock, hard as nails and could probably cover wing as well.

To be honest I was rather hoping that one of you at least would take note (and exception) at the above post and reply that I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about :) You still can of course, but on the Haining situation, if you don't already know it this is quite an interesting read on his backstory

https://www.theoffsideline.com/ireland-scotland-nick-haining/?v=79cba1185463

Handel

Reaction score
To be honest I was rather hoping that one of you at least would take note (and exception) at the above post and reply that I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about :) You still can of course, but on the Haining situation, if you don't already know it this is quite an interesting read on his backstory

Well there certainly is a vacancy for the second choice no 8 as Billy Vunipola surely cannot be considered. The candidates are Stander, Doris and Conan from Ireland (I have no idea who is first choice out of that lot) and whoever Scotland's first choice is. Is it this bloke or Fagerson?

Handel

Reaction score
Agree about Billy V. Sam Simmonds...?
Can't see it. He hasn't played international rugby for nearly three years and then he only won a few caps. Sure the Lions used to pride themselves on picking uncapped players (in other words players who didn't play international rugby) but that was really in the amateur era. Eddie Jones has been quite open about why he doesn't pick Simmonds which is that he would have to redesign the way England play. Some may say that would be a good thing. But I suspect Gatland would have a similar problem. His first choice will be Faletau and his number two needs to be capable of slotting in instead of Faletau. I quite like the look of Conan from Ireland.

pfeul

Reaction score
Can't see it. He hasn't played international rugby for nearly three years and then he only won a few caps. Sure the Lions used to pride themselves on picking uncapped players (in other words players who didn't play international rugby) but that was really in the amateur era. Eddie Jones has been quite open about why he doesn't pick Simmonds which is that he would have to redesign the way England play. Some may say that would be a good thing. But I suspect Gatland would have a similar problem. His first choice will be Faletau and his number two needs to be capable of slotting in instead of Faletau. I quite like the look of Conan from Ireland.
Aldritt's father is scottish (from Stirling if i'm right) and Aldritt has dual nationality.
Perhaps some kind of italian combinazione should work to entitle him to play for the Lions :)

ozzyian

Reaction score
Well there certainly is a vacancy for the second choice no 8 as Billy Vunipola surely cannot be considered. The candidates are Stander, Doris and Conan from Ireland (I have no idea who is first choice out of that lot) and whoever Scotland's first choice is. Is it this bloke or Fagerson?
Fagerson. He has a bit of SRU investment in him, he was brought through quickly with a lot of positive talk but I must admit that until this series (where he has been very good) I never thought he shone at Glasgow particularly, he's not old and he's improving steadily, good player, no real weaknesses, all the energy of a 22 year old!

I think Haining sort of washed up here as a 28 year old journeyman a couple of years ago and the SRU didnt really notice him for a while, that and their investment in Fagerson maybe counted against him. I think he's the better player though. As I mentioned he's an ex winger (he played wing against the Lions!) and when you see him run with the ball he always puts in a little bit of deceit - a step, a dummy, a show of the ball, always something and it really does make a difference. You could see this against France - where he was probably motm for me. He just seems to get that extra couple of yards to get around the line and it works in traffic very well, where he always seems to present the ball quickly When he does get some space he can really pin his ears back, - a bit like say Spies - who also played professionally as a wing in his early days at the Bulls.

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score

Theres always a bolter or two.😉
CJ Stander.
Cant wirk out if his retirement rules him out of the lions or not.

I think Navidi will go as a utility back row and could play 8 midweek, if there are any midweek games.
Probably need an out and out 8 to cover Falatau though.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Theres always a bolter or two.😉

CJ Stander.
Cant wirk out if his retirement rules him out of the lions or not.

I think Navidi will go as a utility back row and could play 8 midweek, if there are any midweek games.
Probably need an out and out 8 to cover Falatau though.

I'd take Stander if available not only because of the stiffness when things start going wrong physically - which would inevitably happen in SA, but also because he'll know all the best bars. I'd take Navidi too, very handy guy, I never thought he came on, 4 years ago he was the coming man and seems to struggle to get into the Wales 15 now, I think he suffered a bit of off on injury 2 or 3 years ago which disrupted him.

I would really like to see Haining go, he would be the classic bolter, can't see it though, just not enough exposure and I don't know what the suits would make of a player playing for and against the Lions. I would like to see Jaimie Ritchie go as well, that guy is real quality, all the benefits of youth but already extremely calm headed. I'm sure he could play 8 but has really only been playing at 6.