Six Nations Rugby 2021

Aled

Reaction score
What i'm saying now is based on what I've seen this 6 Nations. All of the original 5 nations can take something positive away from this 6 Nations, Wales how to ride their luck, France hanging in there to beat Wales, England's victory against France, Scotland wins against England & France, and Ireland's victory against England. We've all had our moments this tournament. Really feel for Italy, the only thing in their favour is that their squad is young. So looking forward to more rugby in coming months, and a Lions tour on the horizon!
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
What i'm saying now is based on what I've seen this 6 Nations. All of the original 5 nations can take something positive away from this 6 Nations, Wales how to ride their luck, France hanging in there to beat Wales, England's victory against France, Scotland wins against England & France, and Ireland's victory against England. We've all had our moments this tournament. Really feel for Italy, the only thing in their favour is that their squad is young. So looking forward to more rugby in coming months, and a Lions tour on the horizon!
Cheers
Aled
Italy need to play some games they can win to develop. Getting beaten every game does nothing for them.
Its the biggest arguement for a 2nd division in Europe with promotion and relegation. Aspirations for Georgia and Rumania, some relief for Italy.

As for the lions, a few have stuck their hands up. Scotland should see more than 2 on tour this time round.
The fact that Gatland can tend to pick on reputation over form could see a few England players safe.
A difficult job for Gatland.
The back row is really competative with high quality.
9 and 10 possibly the weakest positions with no stand out candidates though lots of options.
Elsewhere, plenty of decent choices.
As usual there will be some disappointed players.
There will also be a bolter or two.
Zammit is probably the obvious one for that category.
A shame Stander has announced his retirement. Think he'd have gone. 6 or 8, probably a shoe in for the bench in tests if not a starter.

Captain will be a biggie.
AWJ is probably the stand out leader. England lack leadership.
I thought in the past that a tour captain shouldnt need to be a guaranteed starter. Leadership off the pitch on a tour is important as is the build up to a game. A bridge between the players and the coaches. Someone who has been there and done that. Someone that when they speak, others listen.
Tour captain, match captain.

Handel

Reaction score
Italy need to play some games they can win to develop. Getting beaten every game does nothing for them.
Its the biggest arguement for a 2nd division in Europe with promotion and relegation. Aspirations for Georgia and Rumania, some relief for Italy.

As for the lions, a few have stuck their hands up. Scotland should see more than 2 on tour this time round.
The fact that Gatland can tend to pick on reputation over form could see a few England players safe.
A difficult job for Gatland.
The back row is really competative with high quality.
9 and 10 possibly the weakest positions with no stand out candidates though lots of options.
Elsewhere, plenty of decent choices.
As usual there will be some disappointed players.
There will also be a bolter or two.
Zammit is probably the obvious one for that category.
A shame Stander has announced his retirement. Think he'd have gone. 6 or 8, probably a shoe in for the bench in tests if not a starter.

Captain will be a biggie.
AWJ is probably the stand out leader. England lack leadership.
I thought in the past that a tour captain shouldnt need to be a guaranteed starter. Leadership off the pitch on a tour is important as is the build up to a game. A bridge between the players and the coaches. Someone who has been there and done that. Someone that when they speak, others listen.
Tour captain, match captain.
Completely agree about Italy. But as ever money gets in the way. Without the 6N they are bankrupt. What to do?

Gatland received all sorts of abuse in England for not picking Launchbury for the 2017 Lions. When he wasn't picked by England either people began to realise that the common denominator was the Lions and England forwards coach Borthwick who judges locks first on their lineout skills. Gatland doesn't pick the Lions on his own, it is a committee effort and in the case of the locks in 2017 Borthwick had final say.

The biggest problem for Scotland was that they had no-one on the selection committee in 2017. If Townsend agees to join the coaching group this time things will be different. And his views on 9, 10 and 12 will count for a lot especially given the paucity of candidates. For Russell having Townsend in that position is a two edged weapon. Hastings for Lions 10?

Gatland will pick the captain. This tour isn't going to last long enough to have two captains. And the captain has to be worth his place, look back to the mess in 1966 with Campbell-Lamerton or 1983 with Fitzgerald. But it works the other way about, Bennett was worth his place in the 1977 Lions but he was a terrible captain (though if Carwyn had been coach again it would have worked out). Is AWJ worth his place? Only with some injuries I would say. Can Hogg captain the side from 15? I am sceptical. But England have shown this 6N that getting the leadership sorted is crucial.

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Well done Scotland. :cool:

And of course well done Wales. Who would have seen that coming with the baying for Pivac's head till the cards swung it the other way.

La France...

Sacre bleu,

incroyable!

Never seen anything so wierd. Strangest 6N yet? And we thought last year's 6N was daft.

Time to get fans back. IMO it is totally bonkers to keep watching any sport behind closed doors within an empty stadium, it's normally reserved for Russia when the footie fans have been OTT. Tossing scraps of TV coverage to placate the masses, watching the big boys give each other hugs and kisses for an hour and a half as the public are muzzled in their homes. The shape of things to come?

Better if they relocated the matches to a village sports green than stick it inside an empty hollow fortress. Contender for the least enjoyable 6N for ages, despite all the exciting matches and cards that settled it.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Completely agree about Italy. But as ever money gets in the way. Without the 6N they are bankrupt. What to do?

Gatland received all sorts of abuse in England for not picking Launchbury for the 2017 Lions. When he wasn't picked by England either people began to realise that the common denominator was the Lions and England forwards coach Borthwick who judges locks first on their lineout skills. Gatland doesn't pick the Lions on his own, it is a committee effort and in the case of the locks in 2017 Borthwick had final say.

The biggest problem for Scotland was that they had no-one on the selection committee in 2017. If Townsend agees to join the coaching group this time things will be different. And his views on 9, 10 and 12 will count for a lot especially given the paucity of candidates. For Russell having Townsend in that position is a two edged weapon. Hastings for Lions 10?

Gatland will pick the captain. This tour isn't going to last long enough to have two captains. And the captain has to be worth his place, look back to the mess in 1966 with Campbell-Lamerton or 1983 with Fitzgerald. But it works the other way about, Bennett was worth his place in the 1977 Lions but he was a terrible captain (though if Carwyn had been coach again it would have worked out). Is AWJ worth his place? Only with some injuries I would say. Can Hogg captain the side from 15? I am sceptical. But England have shown this 6N that getting the leadership sorted is crucial.
Money always gets in the way. Not necessarily for the greater good of the game. I feel the money from WCs should be filtered down better rather than the bulk of it going to the host nation. Doesnt help the smaller nations.
Still cant see between 2 tiers with promotion / relegation to improve standards.

Launchberry is the type of secondrow that frees the likes of Itoje to do the stuff he does. Not sure England have the complimentary partner for Itoje.
Down the years, many successful 2nd row pairings have a run around 2nd row and an enforcer.
Launchbury fits into the latter. Always liked Launchbury as a player. A bit like Jake Ball.
Wales had a 2nd row called Sidoli when they won the GS in 2005. Good ball player. What made him was Brent Cockbain, the heavy lifter. Wasnt the same player without Cockbain.

Agree on the length of tour.
Not sure there is a natural candidate for captain though.

It'll be interesting to see how selection goes.
Usually 80% off the party is obvious. Not sure it is this time. In some positions because of an over load of options, in others because of lack of stand out options.
Just hope they can get the tour on.

Aled

Reaction score
Bennett as captain in 1977: Phil was interviewed for a Lions documentary and he talks about being captain on the 77 tour. He mentions the fact that he had become a Father, around that time, and was considering whether to go or not. It would seem that the change in circumstances i.e. becoming a Dad had an effect on his ability to really lead and focus on that tour. Worth noting that Gareth Edwards, Gerald Davies and JPR decided not go on that tour.
Cheers
Aled

Handel

Reaction score
Well done Scotland. :cool:

And of course well done Wales. Who would have seen that coming with the baying for Pivac's head till the cards swung it the other way.

La France...

Sacre bleu,

incroyable!

Never seen anything so wierd. Strangest 6N yet? And we thought last year's 6N was daft.

Time to get fans back. IMO it is totally bonkers to keep watching any sport behind closed doors within an empty stadium, it's normally reserved for Russia when the footie fans have been OTT. Tossing scraps of TV coverage to placate the masses, watching the big boys give each other hugs and kisses for an hour and a half as the public are muzzled in their homes. The shape of things to come?

Better if they relocated the matches to a village sports green than stick it inside an empty hollow fortress. Contender for the least enjoyable 6N for ages, despite all the exciting matches and cards that settled it.
Past time to get the fans back. I hate having to put up with tv camera pictures and being told by some faceless editor who knows little about rugby what to watch. Look at the mess they made of the Adams try. And all those pictures of coaches hiding behind masks!

The players have been quiet about the effects of playing in huge empty stadia. It undoubtedly will have reduced home advantage. It will have been colder. Handling will have been easier because of reduced moisture. It will have been easier to communicate. But all very strange.

What would be a good outcome of all this would be to insist spectators stay in their seats during the game, or, like the theatre, they have to arrive before the anthems and if they leave they can't come back.

pfeul

Reaction score
I don't think an English player would have resisted the opportunity to kick the ball.
I know that was a bad joke from myself about the cliche of supposed English arrogance.

Almost sure this would have never happened with an English player.

Is it not the Welsh scrum fly half that also had some silly moment against Ireland at the end of the game? I can't remember which game it was during this 6N but fortunately that did not end as yesterday

Handel

Reaction score
I know that was a bad joke from myself about the cliche of supposed English arrogance.

Almost sure this would have never happened with an English player.

Is it not the Welsh scrum fly half that also had some silly moment against Ireland at the end of the game? I can't remember which game it was during this 6N but fortunately that did not end as yesterday
It was a bad joke from me as well. An English player kicking the ball! Never.

Yes Davies the scrum half kicked away possession to nowhere. What was it Squidgy said in that YouTube clip? Something about Davies being unique in being able to walk despite not having a brain. You do wonder how he ended up at 9 rather than on the wing.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Cheers
Aled

Agree with most of that but very litle positive for England IMHO. Yes, the win against France was welcome but the poor performances in the other games far outweighed that.

I miss the days when Italy had realistic prospects of winning at least one game.

At the moment, they provide an almost guaranteed bonus point win and the possibility of the championship being decided by whoever scores the most points gainst them.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Agree with most of that but very litle positive for England IMHO. Yes, the win against France was welcome but the poor performances in the other games far outweighed that.

I miss the days when Italy had realistic prospects of winning at least one game.

At the moment, they provide an almost guaranteed bonus point win and the possibility of the championship being decided by whoever scores the most points gainst them.
I suppose England were glad Italy were in the tournament. ;)

Not many wooden spoons given to the home nations since 2000 and Italy's inclusion.

England and Ireland, 0.
Wales, 1.
France, 1.
Scotland, 4.
Italy, 16
:confused:

Handel

Reaction score
Bennett as captain in 1977: Phil was interviewed for a Lions documentary and he talks about being captain on the 77 tour. He mentions the fact that he had become a Father, around that time, and was considering whether to go or not. It would seem that the change in circumstances i.e. becoming a Dad had an effect on his ability to really lead and focus on that tour. Worth noting that Gareth Edwards, Gerald Davies and JPR decided not go on that tour.
Cheers
Aled
Very interesting Aled, I didn't know that about Bennett, I just assumed he couldn't lead a side that wasn't 100% Welsh. I think by that stage JPR had been told to get on with his medical career. Davies didn't go on the 1974 tour either because of apartheid. Any idea why Edwards didn't go? It would have been his fourth tour.

Aled

Reaction score
Very interesting Aled, I didn't know that about Bennett, I just assumed he couldn't lead a side that wasn't 100% Welsh. I think by that stage JPR had been told to get on with his medical career. Davies didn't go on the 1974 tour either because of apartheid. Any idea why Edwards didn't go? It would have been his fourth tour.
Not entirely sure why Gareth didn't go, it would appear that he (and Gerald and JPR) had decided to concentrate on "career and family" as you know rugby was amateur then. Of note and something i did not know until today, was that Phil and his wife had lost a child previously, which would have an affect on anybody, so i think that was understandably a factor as well perhaps?
Cheers
Aled

Handel

Reaction score
Not entirely sure why Gareth didn't go, it would appear that he (and Gerald and JPR) had decided to concentrate on "career and family" as you know rugby was amateur then. Of note and something i did not know until today, was that Phil and his wife had lost a child previously, which would have an affect on anybody, so i think that was understandably a factor as well perhaps?
Cheers
Aled
Sounds like they shouldn't have asked him to be captain, perhaps they thought it was the only way to get him to tour. Of course it has now occurred to me that until 1976 it was assumed that Mervyn Davies would captain the side.

Aled

Reaction score
World Rugby announces mouthguard trial to improve head injury detection - BBC Sport

I think this is great news. Shows the game is making an effort.

Also just seen this 6 Nations team of the tournament.

15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Louis Rees-Zammit, 13. George North, 12. Robbie Henshaw, 11. Duhan van der Merwe, 10. Johnny Sexton, 9. Antoine Dupont, 1. Wyn Jones, 2. Ken Owens, 3. Tadhg Furlong, 4. Tadhg Beirne, 5. Alun Wyn Jones, 6. CJ Stander, 7. Hamish Watson, 8. Taulupe Faletau

Thats some team! And .......ozzyian..........., Watson is included (deservedly by the way!)

pfeul

Reaction score
World Rugby announces mouthguard trial to improve head injury detection - BBC Sport

I think this is great news. Shows the game is making an effort.

Also just seen this 6 Nations team of the tournament.

15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Louis Rees-Zammit, 13. George North, 12. Robbie Henshaw, 11. Duhan van der Merwe, 10. Johnny Sexton, 9. Antoine Dupont, 1. Wyn Jones, 2. Ken Owens, 3. Tadhg Furlong, 4. Tadhg Beirne, 5. Alun Wyn Jones, 6. CJ Stander, 7. Hamish Watson, 8. Taulupe Faletau

Thats some team! And .......ozzyian..........., Watson is included (deservedly by the way!)
That's some teams really... but perhaps one can explain World Rugby that Dupont is not British or Irish.
7 welsh, 4 irish, 3 scotts, 1 french: That looks more like a Lion's selection than a 6 nation team.
I'm biased and claim it! As a proud frenchman, i believe at least one of Fickou, Baille, Marchand or Aldritt deserves to be listed here (more than Dupont who had 2 ok games but faded progressively through the tournament). Not to say that the players of this team do not, but there should be more proportion in relation to the quality of the games we saw
And as for the fly half, I did not know there was some extra points for water carriers to be awarded ...

salarchaser

Reaction score
That's some teams really... but perhaps one can explain World Rugby that Dupont is not British or Irish.
7 welsh, 4 irish, 3 scotts, 1 french: That looks more like a Lion's selection than a 6 nation team.
I'm biased and claim it! As a proud frenchman, i believe at least one of Fickou, Baille, Marchand or Aldritt deserves to be listed here (more than Dupont who had 2 ok games but faded progressively through the tournament). Not to say that the players of this team do not, but there should be more proportion in relation to the quality of the games we saw
And as for the fly half, I did not know there was some extra points for water carriers to be awarded ...
Im with you pfuel. France deserves an extra player or two.

Im sure we could pick an alternative team that would also be some team.
As usual, you could pick any number of back row players, though falatau is probably the one that wouldn't change.
Other than him and Dupont, probably no one nailed on in that team, with cases for the inclusion of others in all positions bar 8 and 9.

Aled

Reaction score
I agree that other players from across the 6 Nations who have good tournaments this year. I would of hated to have picked this team there are so many very good players to choose!
Cheers
Aled