Six Nations Rugby 2021

Aled

Reaction score
Hello All
Well here we are again in January 2021, which means its weeks away from the 6 Nations (if it goes ahead), a rather strange one this season with no fans and the great social experience the 6 Nations is, sadly wont happen this year.
However under the circumstances its very much a case of lets make the best of it, so lets drink some beer, share jokes, banter, and enjoy.
Welcome to the 2021 6 Nations thread.
Cheers
Aled

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score
I see the women's 6 nations has been pushed back.

For the men, with the disruption to the domestic game, I wonder what fitness and form players will be carrying into their national camps.

I always look forward to the 6N, but this one will be a bit different.

Thanks for putting the thread up Aled.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Hope it goes ahead, we all need some sort of normality in our lives !

Won't be the same without fans but better than no 6 Nations.

I think there is a good chance it will go ahead as I think Covid case numbers will continue to fall from this point.

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score
Thomas Francis has joined the Ospreys, that's great news for the Welsh region.
Cheers
Aled
Read that yesterday.
Wants to continue his Wales career and his contract with Exeter is up at the end of the season.
I wonder if he becomes out and out first choice with Ospreys, starting every game, how that would affect him.
Comes off the bench quite a bit at exeter.

He qualifies for wales as he has a mam-gu. She was from Abercrave.
Must be something in the gene pool as Abercrave was also home to one Adam Jones.
Both ride low in the water!

Aled

Reaction score
Anybody know when International squads are being announced? Seems to be late in the day, the first games are two weeks Saturday!
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
Anybody know when International squads are being announced? Seems to be late in the day, the first games are two weeks Saturday!
Cheers
Aled
All I can see is that Wales will announce their squad "this week".
Not very specific.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Wales squad is being announced Midday tomorrow.
Cheers
Aled
Lots of speculation on Wales on Line.
Not sure what to expect or indeed who is fit. I seem to have lost touch in the last month or so.
All I can hope for is some consistancy of selection and an improved lineout. That would be a start.
Hooker definitely needs sorting. Whilst Ken coming back would help, given his age, its not a long term solution. Ball going to Aus at the end of the season and AWJ's age means second row is an area of concern though Im hoping Rowlands can bring his club performances to the international stage.
The next generation back row is shaping up but one or two of the old guard being fit would help the here and now.
We have 4 #9s with pros and cons. Need to pick 2 and stick with them. 10 looks like biggar and sheedy.
12 needs nailing.
Plenty options in the back 3.

Pivac has some work to do.
If he doesn't sort a couple fundamentals, it wont matter what the others do.

Flip a coin between England and France for the title.

Aled

Reaction score
Jake Ball - is he welsh, no! has he been to wales ever, yes, ahhh good pick him then ;)
His Dad's Welsh, and under IRB rules he's eligible to play for Wales, bit like most teams these days International teams are far more cosmopolitan than they used to be! In the pre IRB Grandparent rule, Wales had the strictest qualification/eligibility rules of all the Home Nations, Sods law we were the first caught out by the Grannygate!! :oops::oops:
Peterchilton, get in touch with the IRB and get them to change their eligibility rules. I'm sure they'll listen to you.....;)
Cheers
Aled

Aled

Reaction score
I agree salarchaser, .....I also doubt the other countries would want to change these days, most countries probably World Wide have Grandparent or Parent rule players playing for them. Two Welsh speaking lads who live near me, played for the Philippines in recent years, their Mam (again a service family) was born there.
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
I agree salarchaser, .....I also doubt the other countries would want to change these days, most countries probably World Wide have Grandparent or Parent rule players playing for them. Two Welsh speaking lads who live near me, played for the Philippines in recent years, their Mam (again a service family) was born there.
Cheers
Aled
Ive no issue what the rules are so long as they're applied equitably.
Not fussy on the residency rule though. Think that should be removed.
It would help the pacific island teams hugely.

peterchilton

Reaction score
So here is my England 15 all born in England

Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Kyle Sinckler
Maro Itoje
Joe Launchbury
Tom Curry
Ben Earl
Lewis Ludlam

Ben Youngs
George Ford
Jonny May
Owen Farrell
Henry Slade
Anthony Watson
Elliot Daly

:)

salarchaser

Reaction score
So here is my England 15 all born in England

Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Kyle Sinckler
Maro Itoje
Joe Launchbury
Tom Curry
Ben Earl
Lewis Ludlam

Ben Youngs
George Ford
Jonny May
Owen Farrell
Henry Slade
Anthony Watson
Elliot Daly

:)
Nice.
A fair side that.
A few world class players missing though. ;)

salarchaser

Reaction score
Just 3

the vunipolas and sam underhill
If fit, you could add tuilagi to the list.
Only just realised underhill was a yank. Wouldnt quite put him in the world class bracket either.
The farce was, they got him to move from the ospreys to bath to stop him being Welsh qualified as he was in Swansea Uni for 3 years.
The vunipolas spent more time living in wales than england at the time they were capped. Rumour has it they were 'recruited'.
Thats the bit I dont like about the residency rules.
I was never keen that Rupert Henry St. John Barker Moon and Tony Copsey played for wales.

Aled

Reaction score
.I was never keen that Rupert Henry St. John Barker Moon and Tony Copsey played for wales.
Those two had to wait for 6 years residency before they were capped. Apparently Rupert had a Welsh Grandmother, so when the IRB rules came the same for everyone, he was eligible.

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
If fit, you could add tuilagi to the list.
Only just realised underhill was a yank. Wouldnt quite put him in the world class bracket either.
The farce was, they got him to move from the ospreys to bath to stop him being Welsh qualified as he was in Swansea Uni for 3 years.
The vunipolas spent more time living in wales than england at the time they were capped. Rumour has it they were 'recruited'.
Thats the bit I dont like about the residency rules.
I was never keen that Rupert Henry St. John Barker Moon and Tony Copsey played for wales.
Maro V won a scholarship to Millfield when he was 16. If the WRU had had their wits about them they would have had a Millfield old boy (Gareth Edwards or JPR Williams) keep in touch with him. Once he was gone Billy was bound to follow, they don't like playing against one another which was the cause of all that fuss when Saracens poached Billy from Wasps. After Maro went to Millfield I think his parents moved to Bristol. Some very careful calculations were done when he was first picked for England, he only just qualified under the old 3 year residence rule.