Six Nations 2020.

Handel

Reaction score
The big game has ended in a draw. Argentina have become a force.

Now lets see what Italy can do this afternoon. I do recall that the last time (or did it happen again in the same circumstances?) Wales played against a side with a Welsh speaking scrum half (England and Dewi Morris) they still did their lineout calls in Welsh and Wales' English second row (Copsey) on asking what a particular call meant received an answer from the English side of the lineout "they are throwing it to you boyo".

ozzyian

Reaction score
Good point , and I’m really pleased to see them down here . I think that Scotland are closer to being a complete team than Ireland .

It's nice to see your own players stay local but with these 3 I would say that the move has done them a lot of good. In the case of Hogg I now think the move would have benefitted him 3 or 4 years ago as he just sort of became stale at Glasgow, he seems to have found a new lease of life with you guys. SHC is a strange one, it looked like he had been dispensed with by Scottish rugby and I didn't think we would see any more of him, it's good to see his resurgence too and it was particularly nice to see him take such a prominent part in both the semi and final of the premiership.

billy fish

Reaction score
I rate SHC above Maunder and closer to Nick White who was great for Exeter . Local chat has it wasn’t the lure of big money that SH came down for but more a lifestyle / family decision .

Aled

Reaction score
Didn't know that the Fiji v Georgia game is actually going ahead until this morning, game being played now, no idea what the score is!
Cheers
Aled

Aled

Reaction score
OK all i've only seen the Wales match so can only comment on that one!
As i expected a bit of a wobble in the middle but Wales crossed the line with a bit to spare, some nice tries scored by both sides. Lets see how Wales develop, Pivac has the next 6 Nations to see where we are. England v France tomorrow, and club rugby then until February!
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
:mad:OK all i've only seen the Wales match so can only comment on that one!
As i expected a bit of a wobble in the middle but Wales crossed the line with a bit to spare, some nice tries scored by both sides. Lets see how Wales develop, Pivac has the next 6 Nations to see where we are. England v France tomorrow, and club rugby then until February!
Cheers
Aled
Falatau getting near his best and formed a great double act with Tipuric.
Sheedy pulled the strings though tried too hard simetimes.
North still not a 13 and got beaten on the outside too often. Our best 13 was inside him. 😖
We still havent got a hooker who can hit his mark.:mad:

Acceptable performance though.

Handel

Reaction score
OK all i've only seen the Wales match so can only comment on that one!
Cheers
Aled
And I have found S4C on my BT box Aled! Instead of being one of the channels it has its own app. Quite an entertaining second half.

Aled

Reaction score
Really pleased to hear that Handel. Da Iawn.
We need Ken Owens back i think, he was interviewed on S4C and said he hopes to be back in Mid January. Interesting what you said about North as Johnathan Davies and Gwyn Jones both suggested playing him at 12, to get the ball in his hands more often.
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
Really pleased to hear that Handel. Da Iawn.
We need Ken Owens back i think, he was interviewed on S4C and said he hopes to be back in Mid January. Interesting what you said about North as Johnathan Davies and Gwyn Jones both suggested playing him at 12, to get the ball in his hands more often.
Cheers
Aled
Might be less exposed defensively at 12.
However, he cant kick and doesnt have the most sympathetic of hands.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
A decent piece from Matt Williams, former Leinster and Scottish coach ... about how the rules are killing the game ...

Like the rest of humanity, all is not well in the rugby world. The game is ill.

Rugby is slowly being poisoned by a litany of antiquated and complex laws that have stripped the game of its core belief.

That is: to get the ball in your hand and run.

Over the past few weeks greats of the game, such as former Scottish captain Andy Nichol, the brilliant Welsh wizard Jonathan Davies and former England captain Will Carling, have joined a worldwide chorus of former players and rugby luminaries in lamenting the state of how the game is being played.

Last week’s dire match between Ireland and Georgia was only surpassed by the horror of the black Irish jersey.

Perhaps the black was to display mourning for the performance at Twickenham when the Irish players ran into English tacklers over 200 times.

That takes some doing.

The Scots are not much better. Against Italy, on every single instance that the Italians kicked to Stuart Hogg who is a brilliant attacking fullback, he kicked the ball straight back.

Not once did he run and counter attack.

This is because a wall of charging defenders, which every team across the globe has constructed, is frustrating great attackers like Hogg into endless kicking. Since the Rugby World Cup in 2019, international teams that kick the most generally win.

Added to this is the endless stoppages for the referee to talk to captains, TMOs, assistant referees, big screens and front rowers who have never and will never listen to anything a referee says. I was throwing rolled up socks at the TV, it was so frustrating.

In this generation, there are so few moments of beautiful attacking inspirational play because there is no time and space for the attack to work in. The current laws are empowering defenders and weakening attackers.

The responsibility for the current state of affairs sits firmly in the lap of World Rugby’s lawmakers. For more than a decade the governing body has tinkered and manipulated many of the laws. Now, under the law of unintended consequences, they have created a Frankenstein. Bits and pieces of stitched-together compromised laws which have altered rugby into a defensive bash fest with scrums, penalties and mauls.

This was never the intention, but it is the result.

Almost all the games played in the Autumn Nations Cup have been tediously repetitive because rugby’s overly complicated laws are a “dog’s body” of technical infringements that force referees to blow stoppages every few seconds. There are far too many penalties which results in too many attempts at penalty goals and seemingly endless second half disruptions for player substitutions.

The wonderful glow of X-factor rugby, sparked by spontaneous running attacks, was the cause of all of us standing and cheering for the Georgian centre Giorgi Kveseladze as he swerved and weaved, running 50 metres to score his excellent try against Ireland last week.

Audiences want to see the ball move across the field and players running with the ball in hand, not endless tackling.

Rugby’s laws now unfairly empower the defenders to take away an unequal amount of time and space from the attack. It is so far out of kilter that the attack is no longer capable of functioning as it has in the past.

The root cause of the imbalance towards defence started years ago when the lawmakers removed the right of players to use their feet to “ruck” the ball. Overnight, defenders stopped joining the ruck and joined the defensive line. In stopping rucking, the lawmakers unintentionally moved the defensive offside line three metres closer to the attackers because, with no defenders in the ruck, its size was halved.

Ball in hand​

We need the lawmakers to step up, show leadership and use the laws to add balance to the game so that attackers have more time with the ball in hand before they meet a defender.

The complexities of using the laws to create space are confronting, but not impossible. However, many of World Rugby’s lawmakers do not want to make the obvious change, which is to move the defensive line five or more metres back from the ruck because, the theory goes, “rugby will look too much like Rugby League.”

Today’s rugby has single attackers running off the scrumhalf and then getting bashed. Every team is playing the exact same attack plan and all have a single line of rushing, gang-tackling defenders. That sounds pretty close to Rugby League to me.

The sad difference is Rugby League can often pass the ball wide. Today’s rugby cannot because it is almost impossible for attacks to get the time and space to string together three passes.

Those whose role is to market rugby and attempt to sell the game to sponsors and media companies for TV rights must be watching the boredom and repartition of the games with horror. Their dilemma can be summed up in the descriptive and accurate colloquial phrase: “it’s hard to polish a turd.”

billy fish

Reaction score
Pretty well sums it up . Rugby is supposed to be a running/ handling game . At grass roots level the present rules/ laws ,which encourages greater physicality ,is not appropriate to the players at the lower levels who have to get up for work on a Monday morning .

Kype King

Reaction score
As an Englishman watching the game against France I find myself hoping that Les Bleus win as they are the only side showing any intent to play the sort of rugby I'm sure we all yearn for. I am bored beyond tears at England's pathetically limited game plan. I wouldn't pay a penny to watch them. Allez Les Bleus!!

ozzyian

Reaction score
Better second half, I've seen Farrel do this before - his brain just drops out. France full of intent and ambition, certainly the bright point in this series.

Aled

Reaction score
Congratulations England, i really feel for France though, as they were having a go for 79 minutes! Didn't see the extra time i'm afraid, i had a bit to do.
Cheers
Aled

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Missed the first half, the 2nd was watchable , but odd, a return to fullbacks just kicking to each other, no real attacking flair at all, England should have won in normal time, but Farrells off day was the difference, missing 4 from 9, did slot the crucial 7th which levelled the scores, missed the gift of the 8th, but slotted the winner.

salarchaser

Reaction score
France were playing 19 men......

Those used to be missed a lot, but not with the TMO.
Saying that, I know line judges can call in knock ons, handling on the floor but not sure about TMO. If the ref asks him he can but not sure otherwise.

ozzyian

Reaction score

pfeul

Reaction score
There a lost games that taste as wins.

I was watching an interviewed from Dominici last week who said that both wins and defeats are liars.

Whatever this frustrating result, les bleus must be proud of what they did.
The total number caps of the whole team was 68 inclunding Dulin who himself has more than 40.
They had only one game together last week and five days training.
The English team game was far from perfect but that was part of the french team organisation

Jones has many think to reconsider. Same game plan over and over. And I wonder if some players have not their best time behind them (especially vunipola who is a ghost of what he was)

I won't talk about referring. As usual many things to say and inconsistent to say the least but that's part of the game now

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
France must be very pleased with the performance of their young guns. Played without fear, lovely try and some great defence at times as well.

More of the same from England but without the clinical edge. Farrell's 5 kicks from 9 should really have cost England the game.

Having said that, still glad that England won but as stated previously would love more ball in hand, running rugby as a spectator.

Ireland won by a few more than I was expecting. Comfortable for Wales in the end but dicey for a while in the middle.

Looks like Fiji Georgia was the most entertaining game.

Great to see some fans in the stadiums.

Handel

Reaction score
There a lost games that taste as wins.

I was watching an interviewed from Dominici last week who said that both wins and defeats are liars.

Whatever this frustrating result, les bleus must be proud of what they did.
The total number caps of the whole team was 68 inclunding Dulin who himself has more than 40.
They had only one game together last week and five days training.
The English team game was far from perfect but that was part of the french team organisation

Jones has many think to reconsider. Same game plan over and over. And I wonder if some players have not their best time behind them (especially vunipola who is a ghost of what he was)

I won't talk about referring. As usual many things to say and inconsistent to say the least but that's part of the game now
Didn't see the game but just looking at the result that is a good outcome for France. A whole lot of young players have taken a big step forward. Given where French rugby was just a few years ago it is good to see (or hear about in my case).

Looking at those two clips of knock ons, you can see the referee in both clips, no way he could give either of them. I agree with salarchaser that the TMO can't intervene for either, if there had been foul play it would be different. Don't know what the nearside assistant referee can see. So I am not sure what everyone is expecting, knock ons and forward passes get missed all the time. Rule number one is, don't guess. Interesting that none of the whingers appear to be French.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Not sure what todays news means for the future of rugby (and football) ? No scrums, no heading of a football ?

The scale of dementia among former players is very alarming.

billy fish

Reaction score
The health of the players is the most important thing to consider. A change in the rules may lead to a safer game and perhaps to a better game . Lowering the tackle line could lead to a more off loading game which we all like to see .