Six Nations 2020.

pfeul

Reaction score
Although the top 14 league and the federation still find ways to give a shot on their knees whenever the situation of les bleus improve, the final between the A England team against the B French one will still be an interesting watch.

One might await for a large English win between a world cup final team and one which has played only one game together yesterday after a 20 minutes only training during the previous week and which will come with another halves pair in Twickenham (the top 14 league has imposed that players could be not be selected more than 3 times during this autumn cup)

All with depend on the commitment of the English team that I found rather disappointing on the last games. And the young bleus will have nothing to lose...

Handel

Reaction score
I dont.

Binned off BT Sports and Sky Sports as well.
Found I was watching it for the sake of it.
Its got me away from being a part time couch potato.
Me neither.

I got rid of Sky Sports last year as well. I do have BT as it is a very cheap part of my internet package.

Chicharito

Reaction score
I have Sky Sports ( via NowTv) and BT Sports as a freebie for 3 months as an add-on for ee customers.
Can watch both on TV via a NowTV box or on a tablet.
Threw my Teddy out of the pram with Amazon as I seemed to be falling into the Amazon Prime trap all too frequently when making purchases and finding it more and more difficult to find out how to cancel it !!!
When I did try and subscribe just to watch the Autumn Internationals I kept on getting emails to verify the device I was using was legitimate. Gave up in the end got a live chat, cancelled my payment details and cancelled my Amazon account !

3 months

Aled

Reaction score
Nice story from Nigel Owen, at the France v Italy match yesterday, he was heard speaking Welsh during the game.....Stephen Varney the Italian scrum half was born and brought up in Pembrokeshire, and played rugby for Crymych RFC.....nobody speaks English in Crymych....even Stephen's mother doesn't because she's Italian!
Cheers.
Aled

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Not too long to the final round of the Autumn Internationals, hope the weather improves !

I tip Ireland to probably beat Scotland but on current form it could go either way.

I think Wales will beat Italy, not sure by how many points though.

I make England v France a 50/50 game, hopefully should be the show piece game although it doesn't always work out that way. Just hope it is not dominated by long kicks to gain territory but give away possession.

All games on Amazon Prime, I think only the Wales game is on S4C ?

Last edited:

Aled

Reaction score
I agree about 2 of your predictions Occasional, but i think there is an issue with the France RU, and France may not be at full strength (they can only play 3 internationals in the Autumn?) Pfeul am i correct?
Cheers
Aled

pfeul

Reaction score
I agree about 2 of your predictions Occasional, but i think there is an issue with the France RU, and France may not be at full strength (they can only play 3 internationals in the Autumn?) Pfeul am i correct?
Cheers
Aled
You're correct Aled.
The team will consist of a lot of young and for most of them very talented players.
But thery are mostly unexperienced , except full back Dullin, having 2 or 3 caps for most of them.
Many of them have played against Italy.
It's more a 90% /10% game on paper.
If England gets committed enough in this game, this should be England by 20 pts.
But the point is pressure is on England not on France and a there should be some surprise.
Any defeat by less than 10 would be as a win for les bleus and IMHO should put Jones in the tornado.
There's a very interesting comment here by Nick Easter

Anyway that should be a nice game to watch whatever the side of the chanel you're living in!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I hadn't realised that, no excuses for England then ! Might even encourage them to run the ball more rather than kick the air out of it !

salarchaser

Reaction score
Not sure about Pivac's selections.
Not into all this chopping and changing. He's just repeatedly rolling the dice hoping for double 6. Unfair on the players and suggests he doesn't have a plan.
Saying that, we don't know what is being said behind closed doors.
North at 13 hasnt proven great in the past.

In his last 5 slections Pivac has made 7, 6, 1, 13, and 8 changes. The last one is 9 with the positional switch of Botham.
Sheedy once again asked to run a line of rookie three quarters, and I put North in that bracket at 13. Sheedy needs a run out with an experience 9 and 3/4 line to see what he can really do. Either that or give Biggar the rookie back line so we're comparing apples with apples.

Handel

Reaction score
Because they are not capable of passing and holding onto the ball and making progress up the pitch ?

I just think they should be able to.

Perhaps wishful thinking.
Certainly the case that they don't do it and therefore aren't practiced at it which is a shame because with their pack they get more front foot ball than most. But I am doubtful whether Farrell is the right 12 for a running game. And of course there has been a lot written recently about defences and the breakdown most of which is true. Do England really want to run the ball at a Shaun Edwards organised defence?

France's best hope is for England to play a loose game.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Certainly the case that they don't do it and therefore aren't practiced at it which is a shame because with their pack they get more front foot ball than most. But I am doubtful whether Farrell is the right 12 for a running game. And of course there has been a lot written recently about defences and the breakdown most of which is true. Do England really want to run the ball at a Shaun Edwards organised defence?

You are probably right and England's best chance of success probably remains with a kicking game.

The spectator in me just yearns for a more flowing passing game (but I want England to win as well !).

salarchaser

Reaction score

Down the years, England have generally had a dominant pack but played a largely conservative game plan. 10s have been selected with that in mind.
To be fair, its served them well.

Aled

Reaction score
The mention of Shaun Edwards has just reminded me of something:
Shaun was interviewed on Welsh language TV last week (in English although he did say diolch a pob hwyl!). This is how inept the WRU can be, they had a chat with Shaun, after the World Cup, and told him there would the offer of a contract in the next 3 to 4 days. By day 12 he'd heard nothing, so France came in and off he went to Les Blues. Personally i think that is very unprofessional and downright rude. Don't blame Shaun one bit!
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
The mention of Shaun Edwards has just reminded me of something:
Shaun was interviewed on Welsh language TV last week (in English although he did say diolch a pob hwyl!). This is how inept the WRU can be, they had a chat with Shaun, after the World Cup, and told him there would the offer of a contract in the next 3 to 4 days. By day 12 he'd heard nothing, so France came in and off he went to Les Blues. Personally i think that is very unprofessional and downright rude. Don't blame Shaun one bit!
Cheers
Aled
Yeah, read that aled.
That together with him wanting a 4 year contract where every one else had a 2 year break clause.
Also, they were unaware that he had won a trophy as head coach at wasps. To be fair, I didn't know / had forgotten the last bit, but there again, I'm not looking to employ him

The 4 year contract is one thing.
Their lack of research inti the candidate and their lack of comunication is just inept.
There is a history of poor management and decisions frim WRU down the years.
Unprofessional springs to mind. And may of these people are on big bucks.

Handel

Reaction score
Not sure about Pivac's selections.
Not into all this chopping and changing. He's just repeatedly rolling the dice hoping for double 6. Unfair on the players and suggests he doesn't have a plan.
Saying that, we don't know what is being said behind closed doors.
North at 13 hasnt proven great in the past.

In his last 5 slections Pivac has made 7, 6, 1, 13, and 8 changes. The last one is 9 with the positional switch of Botham.
Sheedy once again asked to run a line of rookie three quarters, and I put North in that bracket at 13. Sheedy needs a run out with an experience 9 and 3/4 line to see what he can really do. Either that or give Biggar the rookie back line so we're comparing apples with apples.
10, 12 and 13 have become very difficult positions to pick for all the four home nations. I don't envy Gatland filling those positions for the Lions. Ireland would pick Henshaw and Ringrose at centre if they could but they are always injured. They still have Sexton at 10 who is clearly over the hill but says he is going to carry on and as his successor Carbery is injured they will carry on with Sexton. I have no idea who Scotland's first choice centres are and they have now turned becuae of injuries to Russell and Hastings to the van der Welt clan at 10. England only have Ford at 10 unless they move Farrell, only have Farrell at 12 unless they move Slade which they tried and it didn't work but at least they have Slade at 13. I suspect Tuilangi is done, Lawrence looks promising. Wales at least have some choice at 10 even with Anscombe out long term and Patchell always injured. And they have the same problems at centre as everyone else, no 12s and Davies always injured. I am not sure Pivac could have given Sheedy an experienced three quarter line. He could have given him Webb at 9 but I gather Sheedy and Hardy are great mates having played together when they were younger. Who would be a selector?

salarchaser

Reaction score
10, 12 and 13 have become very difficult positions to pick for all the four home nations. I don't envy Gatland filling those positions for the Lions. Ireland would pick Henshaw and Ringrose at centre if they could but they are always injured. They still have Sexton at 10 who is clearly over the hill but says he is going to carry on and as his successor Carbery is injured they will carry on with Sexton. I have no idea who Scotland's first choice centres are and they have now turned becuae of injuries to Russell and Hastings to the van der Welt clan at 10. England only have Ford at 10 unless they move Farrell, only have Farrell at 12 unless they move Slade which they tried and it didn't work but at least they have Slade at 13. I suspect Tuilangi is done, Lawrence looks promising. Wales at least have some choice at 10 even with Anscombe out long term and Patchell always injured. And they have the same problems at centre as everyone else, no 12s and Davies always injured. I am not sure Pivac could have given Sheedy an experienced three quarter line. He could have given him Webb at 9 but I gather Sheedy and Hardy are great mates having played together when they were younger. Who would be a selector?
Good observations Handel.

As for being a selector, I'm happy to be an arm chair selector.
As always, it comes down to opinion and opinion is often based on if / when / where you played the game.

The game has changed in the last 25 years with bigger, faster, stronger players. This has 'made the pitch smaller'.
To get back to the running rugby of the 60s to 80s, they'd need to put 10 yards on the width of a pitch. In general, that cant happen, so we're stuck with games of chess with lots of kicking.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Good observations Handel.

As for being a selector, I'm happy to be an arm chair selector.
As always, it comes down to opinion and opinion is often based on if / when / where you played the game.

The game has changed in the last 25 years with bigger, faster, stronger players. This has 'made the pitch smaller'.
To get back to the running rugby of the 60s to 80s, they'd need to put 10 yards on the width of a pitch. In general, that cant happen, so we're stuck with games of chess with lots of kicking.
Easy - just take a couple of rows of seats out ..... :)

Or reduce to 13 a side and have no scrums. That will never catch on though .....

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
You're correct Aled.
The team will consist of a lot of young and for most of them very talented players.
But thery are mostly unexperienced , except full back Dullin, having 2 or 3 caps for most of them.
Many of them have played against Italy.
It's more a 90% /10% game on paper.
If England gets committed enough in this game, this should be England by 20 pts.
But the point is pressure is on England not on France and a there should be some surprise.
Any defeat by less than 10 would be as a win for les bleus and IMHO should put Jones in the tornado.
There's a very interesting comment here by Nick Easter

Anyway that should be a nice game to watch whatever the side of the chanel you're living in!
Et pour ceux d';entre nous en Afrique de l'Ouest francophone?

Nick Easter's comments interesting. But I think he missed the main point:

France haven't got Johnny May (who singlehandedly salvaged something last time out against them, and will have to again if England don't go the free-running route...)

Hope I can manage to hack the TV links, otherwise it's the stuttering "live text" that I'll be watching out for. Still looking forward to it for a change.

PS - 13 a side and no scums we would call "proper rugby". Never catch on...

Aled

Reaction score
OK enjoy the rugby tomorrow all. Wales, by 10, England by 11, and Ireland by 7 .....however if Italy fancy pulling one over Wales tomorrow is the day to do it. Also it may be Scotland's turn to pull one out of the bag, plus this French team is an unknown!
Well drink some beer, shout at the TV, but Dewch mlan Cymru/Come on Wales
Cheers
Aled

billy fish

Reaction score
Good point , and I’m really pleased to see them down here . I think that Scotland are closer to being a complete team than Ireland .