Six Nations 2020.

long Preston

Reaction score
Congratulations England on winning the 6 Nations Championship. France seem to be back in the fray, Italy seem to be going nowhere, but Wales have gone backwards, Scotland have progressed, and Ireland are there or there abouts! Right how will the 6 Nations look in 2021! There is also a Autumn International Cup... and Wales Have got England. Ireland and Georgia, and for some reason our forwards dont seem up to it!
Cheers
Aled
Thanks Aled- i felt the games were flat at the weekend- probably the length of time between the last round of games and the fact there was no crowd there-all seemed surreal-like a training game-maybe that helped Scotland? Rngland very rusty against Italy

Aled

Reaction score
OK Autumn Cup:
Its not the same as usual, no New Zealand, Australia, or South Africa, still we've got some rugby to enjoy this month, although we've no idea what to expect!
Enjoy all.
Cheers
Aled

Aled

Reaction score
Looks like one match per round will be on channel 4 (starting with Ireland v Wales this Friday), all the others will be on Amazon Prime.

Now then this is when being a speaker of a minority language can be advantageous.... all Wales matches are also on Welsh Language channel S4C. :)

Or you can do as me Mam does, she puts S4C on the TV, and then puts the English Language commentary on BBC Radio Wales!
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
Now then this is when being a speaker of a minority language can be advantageous.... all Wales matches are also on Welsh Language channel S4C. :)

Or you can do as me Mam does, she puts S4C on the TV, and then puts the English Language commentary on BBC Radio Wales!
Cheers
Aled
I may have used that method in the past myself.☺

Chicharito

Reaction score

Cheers
Aled

Thanks Aled
I was a bit peeed off when I saw that Amazon Prime were showing a lot of the games (how did that happen?!)
I have just fallen out with Amazon and got them to close my account!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Thanks Aled
I was a bit peeed off when I saw that Amazon Prime were showing a lot of the games (how did that happen?!)
I have just fallen out with Amazon and got them to close my account!

If you haven't used Prime for a bit, you can normally get a one month free trial - covers you for TV, movies etc as well as free postage on many items. Would fit in well with online Xmas shopping ! Otherwise I think you can just sign up for one month at £7.99.

Chicharito

Reaction score
If you haven't used Prime for a bit, you can normally get a one month free trial - covers you for TV, movies etc as well as free postage on many items. Would fit in well with online Xmas shopping ! Otherwise I think you can just sign up for one month at £7.99.
Yes I was trying to do just that yesterday but ended up going round in circles and couldn't get the Prime Video to work so I decided to call it a day. Been caught in the Prime trap a few times and then spent ages working out how to cancel the Prime membership. Shan't miss it!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Yes I was trying to do just that yesterday but ended up going round in circles and couldn't get the Prime Video to work so I decided to call it a day. Been caught in the Prime trap a few times and then spent ages working out how to cancel the Prime membership. Shan't miss it!

Yes, they do make it hard to find out how to cancel ! But I know how to now ! You can actually sign up for the trial and cancel any payments on the same day but still get your free month. Otherwise, make sure you put the date to cancel in the diary.

Aled

Reaction score
Yes i was caught out a year or two ago by Amazon Prime. I did however get my money back.
Cheers
Aled

Aled

Reaction score
Congratulations Ireland well played but from a Wales perspective: Hammered! Nothing else to say really, well beaten, out thought out played, out scrummaged...i could go on. No idea where we go from here, as i'm looking at the players picked and they are the best we have, most of whom won a grand slam in 2019, and reached the WC semi's just over 12 months ago.....
Well there we go.
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
Congratulations Ireland well played but from a Wales perspective: Hammered! Nothing else to say really, well beaten, out thought out played, out scrummaged...i could go on. No idea where we go from here, as i'm looking at the players picked and they are the best we have, most of whom won a grand slam in 2019, and reached the WC semi's just over 12 months ago.....
Well there we go.
Cheers
Aled
Not a good showing aled.
No set piece and too many penalties.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Well there we go.
Cheers
Aled

You're right, its a puzzle. Nothing very positive in the forwards, a bit stiffer than last week but no more effective. There's a defensive problem that looks like organisation (can't be though) or softness (can't be that either) it happens in bread and butter forwards phases like pick and drive, I noticed it against Scotland too and sets the tone. Compared to the other 6Ns Wales are always especially unable to unlock any width or pace in attack without forwards parity, that's costing big time now. How long before Pivack gets the flick at this rate?

Sad to see Fr/Fiji off - could have been the game of the tournament (not for the rest of you one eyed nationalists though - Pfeul excepted ;):rolleyes: )

salarchaser

Reaction score
Looks like Sanchez has bought his last ever pint :)

Great result for the Pumas, the overhaul and commitment by the Argentinian Union looks like its really paying off.
Might claim Patagonian relatives and support the Pumas.
Tenuous, but us welsh need some straws to clutch at. ?

salarchaser

Reaction score
Not that tenuous apparently, they say a purer form of Welsh not spoken anywhere. It's just great to see their approach pay off when all our unions do the opposite.
Emigrated in the 1860s to protect the Welsh language and culture.

Indeed.
Very forward looking.

Handel

Reaction score
Well there we go.
Cheers
Aled
Which all leads to an obvious conclusion.
Looking in from the outside and reading Gatland's observations over the years he believed that the standard of coaching in the Welsh regions, the fitness levels in the Welsh regions, the basic skills in the Welsh regions and therefore the standard of rugby played in the Welsh regions were not adequate preparation for international rugby. Accordingly he worked on all these things when he got the international squad together. That did not leave time for more than a basic game plan. And the most basic game plan involves sound defence and letting the opposition have the ball with which to make mistakes. And it worked against northern hemisphere teams. It didn't work so well against southern hemisphere teams with Wales. But it did with the Lions.
Pivac has come along and tried to be more ambitious at a time, judging by the results, when the Welsh regions have gone backwards from even the low point at which they stood. He does not have the relevant experience to know what works at international level. And he is failing. Wales didn't really give Ireland a game yesterday.
Would Gatland return to Wales after the next Lions tour? That depends on whether he has given up his life's ambition to coach the ABs. But is there anyone at the WRU with the wit to ask him?

salarchaser

Reaction score
Which all leads to an obvious conclusion.
Looking in from the outside and reading Gatland's observations over the years he believed that the standard of coaching in the Welsh regions, the fitness levels in the Welsh regions, the basic skills in the Welsh regions and therefore the standard of rugby played in the Welsh regions were not adequate preparation for international rugby. Accordingly he worked on all these things when he got the international squad together. That did not leave time for more than a basic game plan. And the most basic game plan involves sound defence and letting the opposition have the ball with which to make mistakes. And it worked against northern hemisphere teams. It didn't work so well against southern hemisphere teams with Wales. But it did with the Lions.
Pivac has come along and tried to be more ambitious at a time, judging by the results, when the Welsh regions have gone backwards from even the low point at which they stood. He does not have the relevant experience to know what works at international level. And he is failing. Wales didn't really give Ireland a game yesterday.
Would Gatland return to Wales after the next Lions tour? That depends on whether he has given up his life's ambition to coach the ABs. But is there anyone at the WRU with the wit to ask him?
I said elsewhere, and support your comments, that Gatland focussed on the national side and ignored (or more likely wasn't allowed to influence) the regions.
This stems back to the set up of the regions in the 90s. The WRU wouldn't stand up to the clubs.
The big clubs didn't like the idea of the regions and wanted to maintain their identities. Cardiff were supposed to join up with Pontypridd but wouldn't. Similarly Llanelli wouldn't join forces with Swansea.
They wanted to retain their names, hence Cardiff Blues and Llanelli Scarlets. Even Newport, Swansea and Neath wanted their names in the regional titles. The Newport Gwent Dragons alienated the steel sides like Ebbw Vale and Tredegar so there was never unity.
The only region that ebraced the concept was the Celtic Warriors established from Pontypridd and Bridgend. Unfortunately they couldnt compete with the old boys network and were forced out, despite their successes.
This club over region mentality has pervaded the Union.
In my view, the WRU missed a trick in the early days and its too late to go back.
To cover the population and player catchment, they should have established 4 regions from the outset. West Wales (swansea, llanelli, neath, maesteg catchments), east wales (cardiff, newport, bridgend, ebbw vale, tredegar), midwales, taking in brecon and establish a region in north wales.
They had the money and the wherewithal and they cow towed to the club ties.

All history now, but they missed a great opportunity.
The clubs will never come together now so the WRU will never establish a framework comparable to NZ, Ireland and Argentina.

The old boys network has a lot to answer for. I hope they're proud of their achievements.

Gatland achieved success despite the regions, not because of them.

Hey ho.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Unless things improve fairly soon, I think Pivac could be on borrowed time.

Another very disappointing display by Wales. They showed some fight in the second half but never really looked liker threatening the try line.

Hard to believe that fairly recently a game against Wales was always one of the toughest fixtures.

Saw a bit of the Womens France v England game - surprisingly good ! :)

salarchaser

Reaction score
Unless things improve fairly soon, I think Pivac could be on borrowed time.

Another very disappointing display by Wales. They showed some fight in the second half but never really looked liker threatening the try line.

Hard to believe that fairly recently a game against Wales was always one of the toughest fixtures.

Saw a bit of the Womens France v England game - surprisingly good ! :)
I think Pivac is already on borrowed time.
To be fair, unless you can find another Gatland, any head coach will struggle with the current WRU / regional infrastructure.

As for women's rugby, they made huge progress at the start of the millenium. For the last 5-10 years, the standard has been pretty good.
A lot of games are competitive and entertaining with good skills.

Handel

Reaction score
The issue for international women's rugby in the northern hemisphere is that we have amateurs playing professionals, not a great idea in any sport but a bad idea in a full contact sport. No idea what is to be done. But when the England women's team celebrate winning their six nations all they are really celebrating is beating France, at least that is all they should be celebrating.

Aled

Reaction score
Lots to say today!
Firstly i would like to congratulate Argentina on a famous victory well done the Pumas, a brilliant result for the country, and for the Rugby World.
No real surprises elsewhere, well done Scotland and England, i've been a family man today and not watched any rugby, so no idea how the games went. Also disappointed to see the France v Fiji game off tomorrow!

Salarchaser your comments on the regional game is smack on, and i felt from the beginning of forming the regions we got it wrong...my 2 female 1st cousins both married Llanelli RFC fans, they were prepared to sacrifice the embarrassment which was Welsh rugby at the time to keep Llanelli RFC....club before country. (as an aside neither of the 2 Llanelli fans mentioned ever played any rugby, their entire rugby dynasty was lived through supporting a club, proper bar room heroes!) However whats done is done, and during the EU cups i will always support the 4 Welsh Regions, unlike others i have no tribal club commitments.

No idea where Wales go from here: I will say one thing though, some coaches have a talent for looking at the resources they have and able to work out how best to use them to get results, Gattland has that skill, as does Sir Ian McGeechan. Wales will probably always need a coach with that skill....just look at how it worked out for Graham Henry!

Finally Women's Rugby: One of England's Women squad members is fly half is Megan Jones, born and raised in Cardiff, and a fluent Welsh speaker. She was interviewed on S4C recently, Plays for England due to what the professional women's game there can offer her. (cant say i blame her by the way and i wish her well)
Cheers
Aled

Last edited: