Six Nations 2020.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Not sure I Agee folks, I wouldn’t play Russel again. Any player thinks he’s bigger than the team is not worth having besides he’s so hot and cold. The odd brilliant snip is generally offset by poor play giving games away. I thought young Hastings was far more consistent and actually better each game. Exeter shows just what the Kiwis and Springbocks excel at, good set piece is the foundation that allows the clever bits to happen

In an ideal World you would go out and acquire the sort of players you need to play the sort of rugby you want.

If you have massive player numbers to choose from you can keep an eye on whats coming up all the way through from academy and steer the talent the way you want. If you are the sort of club that wants to play forwards orientated rugby (lets say) and you don't have what you need coming through then you acquire as necessary.

At international level, much the same story. For example neither England nor SA rugby DNA has changed very much, same really with Australia and the ABs. The point is the players are guided toward the system and are rewarded (with selection) accordingly. The style changes slowly and the players fit the style. So for example Englands most talented 10 never a got a run, the harum scarum stuff of Cipriani went down as well at Twickers as bringing a stripper to a family gathering.

If you have tiny player numbers you can't rely on the conveyor belt. Or you can, but you will just be permanently **** :) So when a player with well above capabilities comes along you have to play him and try and adapt your game to maximise what you have been fortunate enough to have been gifted. Putting aside the front row there are 3 or 4 in the Scotland squad like that at the moment Watson, Richie and Russell. The Scottish game suits the 2 back rows anyway but you just cannot turn down what Russell brings.

Hastings is a very marginal international at this stage imho, conversely Russel the most naturally gifted 10 playing in the Northern Hemisphere. If you watch for it (as everyone does these days) he can be singled out for errors but at both Racing and Scotland his contribution is so far into the black it's not really debateable. While one observer blames him for the European Final loss the other notes the try he magicked up in the first half plus the general genius at the heart of the comeback and also recalls that had he not cut Sarries open 4 or 5 times the week before the Parisian All Stars would have been watching the final on telly at home anyway. The intercepted pass (intercepted isn't really the right term, so cack handed was it) sticks in the memory, however remember the second half rout at Twickenham amongst the numerous days in the sun in Paris. If you are Scottish you take the possibility of a day in the sun every single time:)

Last edited:

Aled

Reaction score
Congratulations Scotland, well deserved win, they were munch hungrier for it, and really tore into the Welsh. Good squad management by Townsend as well.
Again though Wales can't seem to match up to the physical side of rugby at the moment, we seem to be getting bashed back by everybody! Not to mention the penalties given away. Scotland enjoy your winning beer. Right then 2 more games to watch!
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
Congratulations Scotland, well deserved win, they were munch hungrier for it, and really tore into the Welsh. Good squad management by Townsend as well.
Again though Wales can't seem to match up to the physical side of rugby at the moment, we seem to be getting bashed back by everybody! Not to mention the penalties given away. Scotland enjoy your winning beer. Right then 2 more games to watch!
Cheers
Aled
Thought with Lewis-Hughes and Rowlands we might have got more go forward, but Scotland matched the physicallity

Thrasher

Reaction score
Not a classic to watch but aftef 18 years probably anything will do.?

England are going to have to get the finger out second half.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Cheers
Aled

Something has gone seriously wrong with your boys at the moment. Same players, different results. Some serious quality in that Wales squad with not much to show results wise over the last few games. They got on the wrong side of the ref nice and early (usually a Scottish trick) and were definitely losing out in the contact, they just look very very green to me.

A couple of notable things about the Scottish performance today 1. Ritchie is a massive part of the Scottish game now, another faultless performance and his body language and general demeanour on and off the pitch is very impressive especially for such a young bloke, him and Watson are very well matched and compliment each others game, another period of a strong back row is here for Scotland. 2. There are a lot of South Africans in Scotland these days. 3. 30 knot cross winds have no effect on Scotlands line out percentages - it still resolutely stays at 50/50.

Loxie

Reaction score
Not sure the Ref should be allowed to supervise a children's friendly. Poor performance by England but maybe enough?

Handel

Reaction score
Not sure I can put myself through watching another one. Looked like Italy might have beaten Wales or Scotland if they had been playing them. Or were the conditions in Llanelli so bad that they were unplayable?

Wales appear to have two props, one on each side of the scrum, who aren't much good at scrummaging. Fortunately they weren't on at the same time. But what is their starting hooker doing at the lineout? His throwing technique is illegal. How did he get so far with defective techniaue? You have to feel sorry for Liam Williams. Hardly played this year but still the classiest back on the pitch and the best player in the Welsh team. He needs to play with better players.

How the Scots managed to blow so many chances to score I have no idea. Problems at 10 didn't help I suppose. Still the Scots backrow will feel they did their job.

I thought Hill's yellow card was a bit harsh but it certainly put England off course. I don't think they can blame the ref Loxie, they kicked too much possession away as Sir Clive said very forcefully at halftime. It was if they were playing in West Wales as well. Still they now have some good backup players coming through. I don't rate the new 15 though. And I still don't rate Farrell's captaincy.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Not sure I can put myself through watching another one. Looked like Italy might have beaten Wales or Scotland if they had been playing them. Or were the conditions in Llanelli so bad that they were unplayable?

Wales appear to have two props, one on each side of the scrum, who aren't much good at scrummaging. Fortunately they weren't on at the same time. But what is their starting hooker doing at the lineout? His throwing technique is illegal. How did he get so far with defective techniaue? You have to feel sorry for Liam Williams. Hardly played this year but still the classiest back on the pitch and the best player in the Welsh team. He needs to play with better players.

How the Scots managed to blow so many chances to score I have no idea. Problems at 10 didn't help I suppose. Still the Scots backrow will feel they did their job.

I thought Hill's yellow card was a bit harsh but it certainly put England off course. I don't think they can blame the ref Loxie, they kicked too much possession away as Sir Clive said very forcefully at halftime. It was if they were playing in West Wales as well. Still they now have some good backup players coming through. I don't rate the new 15 though. And I still don't rate Farrell's captaincy.

Not sure I can put myself through another tone deaf players only anthem

glenclova

Reaction score
Good to see Scotland winning away from home for a change. However I have still to be convinced by the Scottish centre pairing and the injuries to Russell and Hastings means we need to find another stand off for the rest of the autumn internationals.

Aled

Reaction score
Congratulations England on winning the 6 Nations Championship. France seem to be back in the fray, Italy seem to be going nowhere, but Wales have gone backwards, Scotland have progressed, and Ireland are there or there abouts! Right how will the 6 Nations look in 2021! There is also a Autumn International Cup... and Wales Have got England. Ireland and Georgia, and for some reason our forwards dont seem up to it!
Cheers
Aled

ozzyian

Reaction score
Good to see Scotland winning away from home for a change. However I have still to be convinced by the Scottish centre pairing and the injuries to Russell and Hastings means we need to find another stand off for the rest of the autumn internationals.

Hmm, Duncan Weir is probably up next I suppose. Lively wee player who's face never really fitted down at the SRU

France absolutely irresistible like that, what a joy to watch after the earlier couple of games.

pfeul

Reaction score
France absolutely irresistible like that, what a joy to watch after the earlier couple of games.

Yes they are. Four tries against Ireland is not so common these days.
France is a really young team and there is lots of room for improvement. Still too many penalties (13 this game, 16 agains wales) which gives too much opportunities for the opponent to try. They also loose the ball too quickly when they get it.
When they learn defensive patience as well as offensive patience, they'll become very hard to beat.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Yes they are. Four tries against Ireland is not so common these days.
France is a really young team and there is lots of room for improvement. Still too many penalties (13 this game, 16 agains wales) which gives too much opportunities for the opponent to try. They also loose the ball too quickly when they get it.
When they learn defensive patience as well as offensive patience, they'll become very hard to beat.

Yes, but these are criticisms that you could level at every ABs side I can remember. Great teams never feel they should stop their opponents from playing, in fact they rely on it. I would love to watch France vs ABs at the moment, in France you'd have it I think.

Agree about the ill discipline, in hindsight the Houmas incident in Edinburgh was rather costly in terms of tinware.

Loxie

Reaction score
Congratulations England on winning the 6 Nations Championship. France seem to be back in the fray, Italy seem to be going nowhere, but Wales have gone backwards, Scotland have progressed, and Ireland are there or there abouts! Right how will the 6 Nations look in 2021! There is also a Autumn International Cup... and Wales Have got England. Ireland and Georgia, and for some reason our forwards dont seem up to it!
Cheers
Aled
2021 6N Ireland and Wales down, Scotland and France up, Italy bottom, England top!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
2021 6N Ireland and Wales down, Scotland and France up, Italy bottom, England top!

Very poor first half by Engalnd. Was there a plan ? None that I could detect. Kick the ball aimlessly down field at every opportunity when you are trying to score as many points as possible ? To be fair, they rectified it in the second half, getting ball in hand and getting the required bonus point.

France then completed their part of the deal impressively. Some very good tries and enough steel about them to contain Ireland's attacks. They will be disappointed not to have completed the grand slam.

Only saw the highlights of Wales v Scotland. Didn't look a great game but well done Scotland. Wales certainly have work to do to get back to their recent status as a top team.

Hopefully some more good rugby to come assuming it can all still go ahead.

mows

Reaction score
Ireland only seemed able to concentrate and play when they were a man down.

billy fish

Reaction score
It was there for Ireland to win . They failed in the basics . Lost line outs , missed tackles and fumbled passes. All things they can get right .
France are the best team to watch and in that respect deserved to win the championship. One mad moment in Scotland cost them dearly .
England selection is a bit strange. Sinkler is out of sorts as shown in his club performance. Watson should be in his best position at full back . We have a number of good wingers to fill in til “Jacks back”.
Firbank doesn’t impress. Slade is getting better and better but keep him in his best position.
Wales need Biggar on the pitch for the full game as he is such an influence. Surely first choice Lion at 10 .
Scotland had a good win and seem to have a better balance in their forwards . Midfield is looking to be the problem in terms of balance .
Italy have some good players and will continue to improve given time . Polledri was good again , shame EJ missed that one .

Handel

Reaction score
England selection is a bit strange. Sinkler is out of sorts as shown in his club performance. Watson should be in his best position at full back . We have a number of good wingers to fill in til “Jacks back”.
Firbank doesn’t impress. Slade is getting better and better but keep him in his best position.
Sir Clive said Watson should play 15 and Slade 13 but then said Farrell should play 10. Lost me there . Agree with the first two but Farrell should play 12. Jack has his work cut out. May has one wing, there is a queue for the other. Quins supporters were celebrating when Sinkler left.

billy fish

Reaction score
I’m not surprised that Quin‘S were happy to see the back of Sinkler . I’m an Exeter supporter so I would want Jack in the side. 12 is a problem position and Farrell would be the choice if he sorted out his tackle techniques. Who would you have at 10 ? I’m not a Ford fan although he always looks good with “front foot” ball . Is Joe Simmonds ready yet ?
We have the Autumn games to find out .

JACK POWER

Reaction score
"Great teams never feel they should stop their opponents from playing."

Ahhhhhh, me ould buddy Ozzyian, still throwing the flies for the fish to rise .... 'shure didn't the bould Ritchie build an entire career and win two WCs doing just that?

Anyway, that hardly matters. I'm delighted to see France resurgent, especially as I have a Paris bed for 2023 - I'll wear the green jersey as long as we're in it - maybe not long - but then I'll be putting on the beret!!

Much, much more importantly, Steve Larkham and Graham Rowntree - and Damian de Allende as on-field chief - seem to be having an impact for Munster. Lots of good, spikey looking young lads on stream.

Handel

Reaction score
I’m not surprised that Quin‘S were happy to see the back of Sinkler . I’m an Exeter supporter so I would want Jack in the side. 12 is a problem position and Farrell would be the choice if he sorted out his tackle techniques. Who would you have at 10 ? I’m not a Ford fan although he always looks good with “front foot” ball . Is Joe Simmonds ready yet ?
We have the Autumn games to find out .
I'm not really a Ford fan either and he can't defend the channel. It is amazing that resources are so thin at 10 and 12. I hope Simmonds gets a chance this autumn. As you say we won't know otherwise.

ozzyian

Reaction score
"Great teams never feel they should stop their opponents from playing."

Ahhhhhh, me ould buddy Ozzyian, still throwing the flies for the fish to rise .... 'shure didn't the bould Ritchie build an entire career and win two WCs doing just that?

Anyway, that hardly matters. I'm delighted to see France resurgent, especially as I have a Paris bed for 2023 - I'll wear the green jersey as long as we're in it - maybe not long - but then I'll be putting on the beret!!

Much, much more importantly, Steve Larkham and Graham Rowntree - and Damian de Allende as on-field chief - seem to be having an impact for Munster. Lots of good, spikey looking young lads on stream.

Oh no, not again, just let it go Jack, just let it go - this can't be good for you:)

You'll be saying next that they keep on stealing all the Pacific Islands talent and thats how they're so good;)

Last edited: