Six Nations 2020.

salarchaser

Reaction score
I didn't agree with him about Tuilangi but I didn't know what he was talking about regarding Lawes. Lawes has been cited. Anyone seen what he did?

WATCH | Courtney Lawes tackle on Alun Wyn Jones | Ruck

there was another incident involving lawes which was a double tackle on biggar when he fielded a kick. Two players hit biggar hard at the same time. No issue with the timing, biggar had landed, but both players hit with the shoulder, the contact point marginal, no arms. If arms had been involved it would have been perfect. to be fair, biggar just got up. Lawes was silly saying he was going to smash biggar in the build up given the marginal nature of the tackle. Courtney Lawes vows to smash clubmate Dan Biggar when England face Wales | Ruck

the disappointing thing is we are discussing these issues, not the dazzling feet of Watson or the length of the field (well, three quarters) try by tipuric started by the equally dancing feet of Tomkins.

One concern I have is the black and white application of the law. There was an incident in a club game on the weekend. A prop coming in for a tackle, aiming for the hips, his shoulder 3 feet off the floor. As the ball carrier was being targeted another defender tackled him so he fell into the prop. Nothing the prop could do. Good technique on his part, going for a perfectly legal tackle and got red carded as a result. Before long, all you'll need to do is run with your nose on the ground and everything will be a penalty and card. To be honest the prop didn't deserve to be penalised, let alone carded.

Handel

Reaction score
Not pretty. And I see what you mean about the challenge on Biggar. I note Lawes was substituted immediately after the tackle for which he has been cited.

I agree, it is a shame we are not really discussing rugby.

A few levels down from internationals a referee won't have a TMO, a time keeper (he has to keep stopping and starting his own watches - plural) or a fourth official (he has to keep track of substitutions himself) and may be lucky enough to have a couple of touch judges, who may be completely useless. Yet the laws are all made with professional rugby in mind.

Paul White

Reaction score
Funny old world......I remember the England v Wales (and Glos games with Welsh clubs), encounters in the 60's and 70's, now they WERE tasty!! Mike Burton and others on both sides can tell a few tales about "thuggery"!!!! AWJ is lucky he can still count 'em!

Aled

Reaction score
Funny old world......I remember the England v Wales (and Glos games with Welsh clubs), encounters in the 60's and 70's, now they WERE tasty!! Mike Burton and others on both sides can tell a few tales about "thuggery"!!!! AWJ is lucky he can still count 'em!

Paul: The 80's games never left you hungry either!!

Pfeul: There does appear to be hand contact with the eye area there.

As others have mentioned, some of the good play over the weekend has been overshadowed.
Cheers
Aled

ozzyian

Reaction score

Yeah ok, but a bit of something and nothing imho. Amongst the Scottish players there has been a bit of talk that there were a few 'eyebrow raising' off the ball incidents prior to the defining boil over.

To me Haining was really just an open hand push to the face, certainly not a great look but not a yellow either and well within the normal course of events in a game like this. This was something the citing commission dismissed as well - despite the complaint being put to them by the French Federation - to me that report is not a great thing to do - too emotional

I would say that Galthie (and all French) are smarting a bit for throwing away a slam that was very takeable. I mentioned earlier the industrial level offside that was occurring in basically every level of play and we have talked already about Williams basically losing control and and having to be brought up to speed on his obligations by Barnes. To my mind one of the biggest problems in the modern game is the defensive encroach, something they all do to some extent but it was very obvious in this game.

If I was to make a guess I would say that the French went into this game with an idea that they could win it with dazzle (which they could have) at a stylish canter and such was the confidence level that they could put one over a soft ref (which they just about did) helped by a Scottish side that can't score.

Haousa shook his head in disbelief when he got his marching orders - that after a clear punch had been replayed 5 times on the big screen 35m away from him, that was a strange thing to see, as if he existed in a parallel universe. A bit like the cat acting all innocent with budgie feathers in his mouth:) In the end all down to him I'm afraid.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 945

Wouldn’t it make sense to make scrum caps compulsory and relax the laws to a certain degree? Not saying it should be a free for all but back to a few years ago with referee’s discretion about intent/recklessness. Just a thought

Aled

Reaction score
I hoped to see Rees-Zammit get capped this weekend, alas not to be. Sadly only one game this weekend.
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
I hoped to see Rees-Zammit get capped this weekend, alas not to be. Sadly only one game this weekend.
Cheers
Aled

Mcnicholl is a wasted selection. He's not going to be around for the next world cup. Would at least have had Louis on the bench.
We know what hill can do as well, so I would have started with rowlands.
Be nice to see carre on from the start also.

Hey ho. Can imagine pivac doesnt want to experiment too much. First year as coach and only beat italy. Not a good start.
A great first week and nearly against france. Well beat by ireland and should gave been well beat by england.

Handel

Reaction score
And if Lawes had been sent off he would have got 4 weeks and if Tuilangi had not been sent off but cited he would have been cleared. These committees are hopeless.

Aled

Reaction score
So then Wales v Scotland game tomorrow has just been postponed. I feel it is the correct decision but it should of been made before Scotland fans began arriving in Cardiff, which many will of done by today.
Quiet weekend in front of us, so ditches to be cleared, wood to be chopped, dog training, gardening, and i'll probably do a bit of fly tying and fishing gear sort out, the car needs to be cleaned and some alcohol will need to be drunk!
Best wishes.
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
So then Wales v Scotland game tomorrow has just been postponed. I feel it is the correct decision but it should of been made before Scotland fans began arriving in Cardiff, which many will of done by today.
Quiet weekend in front of us, so ditches to be cleared, wood to be chopped, dog training, gardening, and i'll probably do a bit of fly tying and fishing gear sort out, the car needs to be cleaned and some alcohol will need to be drunk!
Best wishes.
Aled
Been trout fishing today. Only 600yds from our small holding. Plenty trout to be had.
Stopped off to feed the kayed lambs on the way past and the guy who keeps cows in our shed was there and told me the game was off.
:Cry:

Aled

Reaction score
Much as we love the 6 Nations, it appears we have a very difficult time ahead of us, so i'm going to suggest we freeze this thread until we know what's happening in the future. Please don't reply if you agree, and lets reconvene in the autumn. Can I wish all the 6 Nations thread contributors, and indeed the entire salmon forum the best of health for them and their love ones during the coming weeks.
Best wishes
Aled

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score
Ok all it appears we have a very difficult time ahead of us, so i'm going to suggest we freeze this thread until we know what's happening in the future. Please don't reply if you agree, and lets reconvene in the autumn. Can I wish all the 6 Nations thread contributors, and indeed the entire salmon forum the best of health for them and their love ones during the coming weeks.
Best wishes
Aled

The U20s game is on at the moment, 'behind clised doors'.
Scotland well in top.
Happy to reconvene in the autumn.

The suspended players will get off lightly, or will IRB stop the clock until rugby starts up again?

Aled

Reaction score
UPDATE: OK all with Covid 19 hanging over us the International Rugby being played over the next few weeks will not enjoy the usual razzmatazz of the 6 Nations. However i don't know about you guys i'm still going to watch as its on TV, so unless there are any objections lets have a bit of a chat about some Belated 6 Nations rugby, and some slightly different Autumn internationals. Discuss, Banter, Enjoy.
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
UPDATE: OK all with Covid 19 hanging over us the International Rugby being played over the next few weeks will not enjoy the usual razzmatazz of the 6 Nations. However i don't know about you guys i'm still going to watch as its on TV, so unless there are any objections lets have a bit of a chat about some Belated 6 Nations rugby, and some slightly different Autumn internationals. Discuss, Banter, Enjoy.
Cheers
Aled
Looking forward to the last couple games and whatever the autumn internationals have become.

A few players will miss out and a few will benefit from the delays.
For Wales, Will-Griff John is set to miss out on his first cap as a result but Jon Davies should be fit.

Wales could well be undercooked as there havent been a lot of games. They're also missing a few players due to the English final.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Aled

Reaction score
Some sad news for rugby: Roy Laidlaw a Scotland and Lions great has announced that he has dementia. I'm sure we all wish him all the best under this difficult time.
Aled

Last edited:

Aled

Reaction score
Scotland scoring forward orientated tries against a much fancied Georgian pack. Impressive.
Cheers
Aled

Aled

Reaction score
Fair play some good rugby by Scotland, and a bit of forward grunt as well as some nice back play. Georgia, are keen to expand their rugby access, maybe a place in the Pro 14 to begin with rather than a new 7 Nations? No Cardiff crowd next week, that will help Scotland!!
Looking forward to tomorrows games, sadly no game on Sunday a bubble was burst!
Cheers
Aled

keirstream

Reaction score
It is alleged the team were allowed a couple beers after training. Despite players asking him to stop he kept drinking. Missed training the following morning.
Was told he should stay with the group but wouldn't he considered for the first game.
Took his ball home.

Is thay not what being a rugby player is all about? (y)

ozzyian

Reaction score
Went up a gear once Finn was on

Quite why Townsend won't start Horne is a mystery to me, he was keeping Price out at Glasgow pretty comfortably. Much as I rate Ally Price as a player Finn and George Horne are something quite special together. With Horne on the field it's an instant fast forward button and you could just about lip read Finn 'right boys, too many forwards tries, lets get some width on this game' :)

If you want frightening pace distribution and the ability to put the contact point wherever you want it that pairing is your obvious choice, I think Gregor has had the ambition washed out of him, he's looking to play conventional rugby. Hamish Watson mighty, looking forward to next week.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
England v Barbarians - what a farce !

With all the losses already suffered by rugby so far this year, surely the teams could have stayed inside a luxury hotel for a couple of nights ?