Single Hander recommendations

HMarquis

Reaction score
Looking for a single hander to go along with my switch for low water fishing & going for STs.

What do you recommend?

Like the idea of an older rod with a deeper action however would consider anything.

Rennie

Reaction score
Why do you need a single hander?, the right choice of switch will see that decision eliminated and the reasons you've outlined are precisely what switch rods are exceedingly good at!.
I can cover more water more effectively and far far easier with my 11ft 3in 6 and 7 weight Airflo switch rods than I can with my Sage 10ft 7 weight!.Go for Trout rated switch's, reap the benefits!.
Pedro.

Hoddom

Reaction score
not knowing your Budget is an issue. However, that assid, The Diawa whiskers are a nice through action and if you can find one a Sage RPL Is fab. people like Thomas Turner who advertise here might have one. I quite like the Hardy Demom if your after a new rod, apart from it being very shiny so light flashes off it.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Couldnt recommended a wychwood truefly t2 in 10ft 7wt highly enough....absolutely peach of a rod lovely through action and a joy to play fish on, at around £100 its truly a beautiful rod 👍🎣

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

If you want one quick you will be somewhat limited but if you can stagger through this season with what you have I suggest searching for ................ A vintage Orvis Light Salmon graphite rod. I have a 1984 nine and a half foot for 8 weight that is a joy to fish with. The old Orvis rods have the full flex action and I use the RIO 8 weight (300 grain) single hand Spey line on mine. That made a perfect match to the rod.

Those old rods came with the removeable fighting butt and some had the longer cork as well, I'm thinking they probably sold the long fighting butt models in the UK because the Americans were not into all things Spey in the 1980's, I had never heard of it myself back then.

Here's what they look like,

Old picture I took after a good cork cleaning and was about to load up that new RIO line. They are a wonderful bit of kit if you're into rods. Easily matched up with any number of Hardy clickers or your choice of reel.

That's it without the butt bringing up the rear. I have 3 of those old graphite rods, the 2 in the front date back into the 1970's when I bought my first good rod. You can tell which saw the most use I think, really tough to get that cork back to looking clean. I had a habit of not cleaning it, actually rubbed fish slime on it back when I still believed in good luck. Now I believe in knowledge and knowledge has guided me to take much better care of my expensive rods ;)

Rrrr

Reaction score
I prefer my switch for using single handed for seatrout if im honest. Find it alot easier to cover the water and presentation is light enough.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

HMarquis

Reaction score
Dont have a budget tbh. And yes Rennie I understand what you are saying, I dont "need" one I just want one 😀
Why do you need a single hander?, the right choice of switch will see that decision eliminated and the reasons you've outlined are precisely what switch rods are exceedingly good at!.
I can cover more water more effectively and far far easier with my 11ft 3in 6 and 7 weight Airflo switch rods than I can with my Sage 10ft 7 weight!.Go for Trout rated switch's, reap the benefits!.
Pedro.
I dont need one, I want one 😃 just for enjoyment..

I dont have a budget restriction. I was looking for a B&W (Daiwa Whisker is the same model by the looks of it).

However like I say, open to any suggestions. Ye the Demon is excellent had a go of the single hander and have a 14ftr sintrix model