Single handed set up

Gman

Reaction score
Looking for a more light weight set up as opposed to my 15ft double handed. Do you use shooting heads with the single hander ? looking circa #8 / what would be a typical rod length and what lines do you peeps use?

Pompero

Reaction score
Hi. If combining overhead with waterbased casts 50/50 then a 9"6' #7 with a compact WF-line that can handle both types of casts, like a Rio Single handed Spey or a similar tapered WF-line. I also have an extra spool for an intermediate Airflo 40+ line. Personally I prefer this length and class, but I fish alot in windy, flat coastal environments where a longer rod would be much work after hours of casting. If most of your fishing is in a river with tight space, setting up anchors for waterbased casts and creating wide angles, then a longer rod like a 10-footer would benefit you. It is also somewhat easier fighting fish on a longer rod i feel, maneuvering it around rocks and streams. I think a #7 is sufficient, some like an #8 for more power, bigger flies etc. Personally, i only use WF-lines for better presentation and avoiding loop to loop-connections when retrieving, but loads of people prefer single handed shooting heads, and I really liked Guidelines ULS 3D+ heads when trying them.

Loxie

Reaction score
Another vote for a 10' 7wt. I use 6wts, 7's and 8's in 9'6" to 11' but if I'm only using 1 rod it's either a 10' 7wt or 350grain 11' switch. I don't see the point of shooting heads on that size set up.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Another vote for Guideline ULS heads. Have the 7/8 weight F/H/I on my 10ft 8 (actually 7-9) and it casts really well both OH and Spey. It also handles 5ft salmon polyleaders as if they aren’t there. I think it could work well for short trout rated switch rods.

Just one word of warning, my line although only 18 grams loads my rod better than a standard WF8. Probably because 18grams is compressed into just 21ft. So although labelled 7/8 it is really an 8.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Looking for a more light weight set up as opposed to my 15ft double handed. Do you use shooting heads with the single hander ? looking circa #8 / what would be a typical rod length and what lines do you peeps use?
I got a great deal on an unused Alltmor 9”9 #8/9 rod, which I bought for a similar purpose with regards to using a shooting head for salmon and sea trout on bigger rivers, albeit I’ve not had the chance to use it this year.

I know there’s plenty of reasons to use a double handed rod for salmon, such as river coverage, control and fighting the fish? But unlike in the U.K. I’ve seen some great videos from Norway of guys fishing large rivers for large salmon and using the single handed/shooting head outfits when they could of easily have used double handers?

I would of preferred My Alltmor, which were really superb rods in their time, to be a seven to eight weight as it does seem like #8/9 rated lines are now seldom used.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Another vote for Guideline ULS heads. Have the 7/8 weight F/H/I on my 10ft 8 (actually 7-9) and it casts really well both OH and Spey. It also hands 5ft salmon polyleaders as if they aren’t there. I think it could work well for short trout rated switch rods.

Just one word of warning, my line although only 18 grams loads my rod better than a standard WF8. Probably because 18grams is compressed into just 21ft. So although labelled 7/8 is really an 8.
Yes I’ve just tried to explain this myself but I think you’ve put it much better 😂
Don’t think I’d dream of putting a #9 on my #8/9 rated Alltmor and so as the OP was asking the same thing? Given how shooting heads are a different beast than a standard double taper fly line, I’d be interested to know what kind of line and rating would be best suited to it?
Hope this doesn’t come across as thread hi jacking to the OP?

Loxie

Reaction score
I got a great deal on an unused Alltmor 9”9 #8/9 rod, which I bought for a similar purpose with regards to using a shooting head for salmon and sea trout on bigger rivers, albeit I’ve not had the chance to use it this year.

I know there’s plenty of reasons to use a double handed rod for salmon, such as river coverage, control and fighting the fish? But unlike in the U.K. I’ve seen some great videos from Norway of guys fishing large rivers for large salmon and using the single handed/shooting head outfits when they could of easily have used double handers?

I would of preferred My Alltmor, which were really superb rods in their time, to be a seven to eight weight as it does seem like #8/9 rated lines are now seldom used.
When I guided in Norway one of the other guides only ever used a 9'6" rod with a shooting head. A very easy and comfortable set up. If you are not casting big flies it works really well. It's harder to play a fish on as you can put too much pressure on too easily but for very experienced rods it's ok.

Andrew B

Reaction score
When I guided in Norway one of the other guides only ever used a 9'6" rod with a shooting head. A very easy and comfortable set up. If you are not casting big flies it works really well. It's harder to play a fish on as you can put too much pressure on too easily but for very experienced rods it's ok.
Wow ok Loxie so you’ve guided in 🇳🇴, that’s like dreams come true tackle imo🤯
Yeah I knew I’d seen it practiced over there as a legit method and what blew me away is how hard they managed to play these really big fish on such gear and get em in quickly.
Could you give to OP and myself a suggestion for a shooting head line ( Rio to much dollar for me ).

Gman

Reaction score
Cheers everyone really helpful advice. I’m thinking not much room for overhead casting so more Spey variations.

Loxie

Reaction score
Wow ok Loxie so you’ve guided in 🇳🇴, that’s like dreams come true tackle imo🤯
Yeah I knew I’d seen it practiced over there as a legit method and what blew me away is how hard they managed to play these really big fish on such gear and get em in quickly.
Could you give to OP and myself a suggestion for a shooting head line ( Rio to much dollar for me ).
In those days we made our own!!

Andrew B

Reaction score
In those days we made our own!!
To cool for school but makes sense, since Scandinavia was always ahead of the curve on that kinda thing.
I’ve always longed for a nine ft rod for sea trout fishing on a Welsh boulder strewn river in the woods and the need for having a rod and line that could get a fly out quietly and efficiently without the need having two to three rod length of line to load the rod if that makes sense?

Loxie

Reaction score
To cool for school but makes sense, since Scandinavia was always ahead of the curve on that kinda thing.
I’ve always longed for a nine ft rod for sea trout fishing on a Welsh boulder strewn river in the woods and the need for having a rod and line that could get a fly out quietly and efficiently without the need having two to three rod length of line to load the rod if that makes sense?
Yes it was just the way it was then. DT lines still ruled in the UK and we used to chop them up and use Amnesia as running lines. The rule of thumb was to use 2 weights above the rod rating and use about 40'. Keep cutting it back until it felt right then make a loop in the braided core and smother it in aquasure.

keirstream

Reaction score
I have a 10ft 8wt (salmon AFTM) single hander that Mick Bell built for me about 10 years ago now?
It lay in my cupboard for a number of years as I didn't take to it. I even tried to pretty much give it away for £100 on here
but no takers.
Then I discovered single handed salmon fishing and stuck an S/H on to it.
What a revelation.:eek::eek:
It throws a 30/34 gram head into the far distance and is great fun to fish with and so easy.(y)
90% of my salmon (and I've done well enough thanks very much) have fallen this year to the single hander in various guises, mainly a
10ft 7wt (trout AFTM) and I would lay a bet right now that if I was still flogging shrunken rivers with a double hander I would be lucky to have 5 or 6 fish to my rod.
Don't hesitate, get a single handed set up for next season.
You won't regret it, I guarantee that.:D

Andrew B

Reaction score
I have a 10ft 8wt (salmon AFTM) single hander that Mick Bell built for me about 10 years ago now?
It lay in my cupboard for a number of years as I didn't take to it. I even tried to pretty much give it away for £100 on here
but no takers.
Then I discovered single handed salmon fishing and stuck an S/H on to it.
What a revelation.:eek::eek:
It throws a 30/34 gram head into the far distance and is great fun to fish with and so easy.(y)
90% of my salmon (and I've done well enough thanks very much) have fallen this year to the single hander in various guises, mainly a
10ft 7wt (trout AFTM) and I would lay a bet right now that if I was still flogging shrunken rivers with a double hander I would be lucky to have 5 or 6 fish to my rod.
Don't hesitate, get a single handed set up for next season.
You won't regret it, I guarantee that.:D
Well it is funny how out of all of the various species we fish for, that for some reason with salmon, all of the stealth and presentation often goes out of the window lol. Course on a nice spate we can get away with it.
There was a guy once featured in T&S known for his family’s Game pies, he was known for catching fish on a Highland river when conditions were hopeless. Single handed rod, six pound leader and a wee double at first light, he’d always be top rod. In low water at night I’ve started greasing the end of my fly line and noticed how much it made a difference to being stealthy.

keirstream

Reaction score
Well it is funny how out of all of the various species we fish for, that for some reason with salmon, all of the stealth and presentation often goes out of the window lol. Course on a nice spate we can get away with it.
There was a guy once featured in T&S known for his family’s Game pies, he was known for catching fish on a Highland river when conditions were hopeless. Single handed rod, six pound leader and a wee double at first light, he’d always be top rod. In low water at night I’ve started greasing the end of my fly line and noticed how much it made a difference to being stealthy.
These days and only since June this year really, as well as my goto 7wt set up, I always have a 5wt trout rod and line for the shrunken burns. This set up has added a significant few Brucie Bonus fish to my overall catches.(y)
Coupled with a dagger between the teeth approach, it works, believe me.
However, at 1st light I'm still scratching my nether regions and grunting off the previous nights revelries and not in the least concerned about missing Mr Game Pie's targets.:unsure:
They don't tend to move far in drought ridden Heelan Burns and can be guaranteed to still be around in a friendly pot or stream after a Gentleman's breakfast.;);)

Andrew B

Reaction score
These days and only since June this year really, as well as my goto 7wt set up, I always have a 5wt trout rod and line for the shrunken burns. This set up has added a significant few Brucie Bonus fish to my overall catches.(y)
However, at 1st light I'm still scratching my nether regions and grunting off the previous nights revelries and not in the least concerned about missing Mr Game Pie's targets.:unsure:
They don't tend to move far in drought ridden Heelan Burns and can be guaranteed to still be around in a friendly pot or stream after a Gentleman's breakfast.;);)
Lol I know how many times I’ve had the intentions of getting up before first light and it never quite happens.
Think it was the Carron mr game pie fished. Fair play to anyone who can catch a salmon on a clear spate river, never mind a shrunken one as it can be a thankless task.
I had my fly swimming like a good en the other day on the Ribble. I couldn’t cover the same distance as a Spey rod but by casting at various angles and throwing downstream and the odd upstream mend I actually thought the single handed rod was a pretty good tool on the day.

Loxie

Reaction score
I'm with you there Tom. It has to be seriously bad for me to be out and about at first light. Apart from anything else it's never really dark in summer in the far north!!

I used to be a very keen sea trouter and often fished through the night. First light was easy then!

Loxie

Reaction score
I think it's a throwback to the days when salmon fishing was primarily a spring and/or autumn sport. The tweed used to shut down for the summer with boatmen traditionally being laid off. In high cold water you needed a big rod to fish with full sinking DT lines and heavy brass tubes: for both casting and controlling the fly, although in truth spinning was by far the most commonly used method. For some reason this led to a philosophy that salmon aren't leader shy and don't require stealth. You still hear these old saws being trotted out now, usually by the same people complaining that there aren't any salmon any more! Fishing with big rods and slowly swung large flies is fine in February but forget it in July. nowadays so much more salmon fishing is a summer sport and requires a far more subtle approach but traditions die hard in a sport where there is so much folklore and superstition. The more I have disregarded convention and followed common sense the more I have caught. Salmon are wild creatures with amazing eyesight and respecting that is crucial to success.

bankwheel

Reaction score
I think it's a throwback to the days when salmon fishing was primarily a spring and/or autumn sport. The tweed used to shut down for the summer with boatmen traditionally being laid off. In high cold water you needed a big rod to fish with full sinking DT lines and heavy brass tubes: for both casting and controlling the fly, although in truth spinning was by far the most commonly used method. For some reason this led to a philosophy that salmon aren't leader shy and don't require stealth. You still hear these old saws being trotted out now, usually by the same people complaining that there aren't any salmon any more! Fishing with big rods and slowly swung large flies is fine in February but forget it in July. nowadays so much more salmon fishing is a summer sport and requires a far more subtle approach but traditions die hard in a sport where there is so much folklore and superstition. The more I have disregarded convention and followed common sense the more I have caught. Salmon are wild creatures with amazing eyesight and respecting that is crucial to success.
My thoughts exactly, excellent post 🎣😀

Rennie

Reaction score
I have a single handed set up, but I rarely use it at all, a Sage 10ft SP 7weight and a Maxcatch Single handed Spey line. not tried the line in anger yet.
I prefer my 6 weight and 7 weight switch rods with their Airflo 40+ lines on them as I can cast as far nearly almost as my bigger dedicated double handers while maintaining a delicacy of presentation and still work my fly.Of course that could just be down to the rivers I fish etc.
I'm no where near the same skill's set as Loxie and Kiestream, but I do like the flee to be a sensible controllable distance away from me.Stealth and presentation are all.
Andrew B - welcome for a chuck or two with my kit in passing if you want.
Pedro.