Single handed fly line for Spey casting

King clam 1

Reaction score
Looking for a line for 10ft #8 single handed rod not much knowledge in this area anything considered

rs2ford

Reaction score
Guideline Bullet is superb and it's on sale at John Norris. Was £69.99 now £27.99. The WF9 is the one you want if Spey casting.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Looking for a line for 10ft #8 single handed rod not much knowledge in this area anything considered
Hi Jay I like to use a ratio of 2.5/3x my rod length for speycasting on small/medium rivers this ensures I can cover most if not all the width I need and can fish In relatively tight spots to so for a 10ft rod look to buy a head length of between 25ft upto 30ft and find a 2x the weight ratio to be a good match too this equals a head length of 25/30ft with a weight around 16g(2x #8) this should keep you fishing all day without fatigue or sore joints,I have lines that are no longer in production but if you look to salmon logic they do lines in those sizes and weights as I'm sure others do you now have an estimated length and weight you can now shop around hope this helps

simoncassidy

Reaction score
I use Guideline Uls lines on my singlehanders. Floating head with 10ft polyleaders and nylon running is a peach of a setup to use.18g lines should be perfect for you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Down & Across

Reaction score
The barrio slx and RIO single hand line are both very enjoyable lines to cast. I tend to take one line weight up when Spey casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markymac

Reaction score
I would try the loop option drift or 1 of the loop evotec lines. They would be perfect for this

finreid

Reaction score
Barrio SLX - use the WF8F on an 10ft 8wt and it's superb. I roll cast and single spey it most of the time, but occasionally overhead too. Couldn't recommend enough, and nice to support a small Scottish business. I use it in conjunction with the Airflo 8ft SeaTrout polyleaders and it is spot on.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Another shout for the Barrio SLX.

I bought one last season on a bit of a whim but it turned out to be quite a result.

I bought it for my trout rated switch rod and was well impressed with it.

nitro2012

Reaction score
Another shout for the Barrio SLX.

I bought one last season on a bit of a whim but it turned out to be quite a result.

I bought it for my trout rated switch rod and was well impressed with it.
Jockie am thinking about buying one how do you find it fishes on the faughan is the head length ok for small rivers.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Jockie am thinking about buying one how do you find it fishes on the faughan is the head length ok for small rivers.
It does take a bit of getting used to to begin with. The head is so much thicker in diameter to the running line and you will inevitably have some of the head within the rod rings at times on small rivers.

It can be difficult at times too to see where the running line ends and head begins but I just marked mine with a marker where I felt most comfortable lifting.

I don't really make recommendations as one man's meat is another poison but I like it personally.

nitro2012

Reaction score
It does take a bit of getting used to to begin with. The head is so much thicker in diameter to the running line and you will inevitably have some of the head within the rod rings at times on small rivers.

It can be difficult at times too to see where the running line ends and head begins but I just marked mine with a marker where I felt most comfortable lifting.

I don't really make recommendations as one man's meat is another poison but I like it personally.
I think I'll buy one and give it a try they are reasonably priced as well compared to most of the lines on the go now.

richard

Reaction score
The good old Snowbee xs "the white one" is still a great line!

I have to agree, a very easy line for me, but probably not for everyone.
I use it for seatrout, an 8 weight on a 7/8, I have tried the 9 weight on the same rod and it is too heavy for me.
I agree with rodbender but I don't know if I would tempt someone to go out and buy the XS, it might not work for you and your rod combination. Worth trying if you could borrow one!
Richard

Eminem

Reaction score
Tried the Barrio a while back but head just too long and not "aggressive" enough to turn over big sunrays when needed (and wading up to waist). If you're happy with a full floater Guideline Bullet is outstanding. Shorter belly, excellent turnover with colour hange between belly and running line. I use it for all my switch rod work adding sinking polys if needed.
Now looking at Salmologic WF Shooter but helluva price!

nitro2012

Reaction score
Tried the Barrio a while back but head just too long and not "aggressive" enough to turn over big sunrays when needed (and wading up to waist). If you're happy with a full floater Guideline Bullet is outstanding. Shorter belly, excellent turnover with colour hange between belly and running line. I use it for all my switch rod work adding sinking polys if needed.
Now looking at Salmologic WF Shooter but helluva price!
Salmologics prices are ridiculous dont forget they charge 30quid delivery fee on top of that line.

zebraness

Reaction score
Bullet- Thanks for the nudge - I’ve fancied one of these for a while for my LTS switch - just hope I get the chance to try it - upper Findhorn - August/
September - I wonder what the odds of that are ?

stay safe
Z

Last edited:

Greegs

Reaction score
Bullet- Thanks for the nudge - I’ve fancied one of these for a while for my LTS switch - just hope I get the chance to try it - upper Findhorn - August/
September - I wonder what the odds of that are ?

stay safe
Z
Should hopefully be ok for then.
We are usually up in Logie/Relugas in April & that’s a no no now.

Sad at the fact but it has to be done..

Andy Musgrove

Reaction score
I would say it depends what your targeting, size fly and how big the river. I really like the Rio Single hand Spey lines. They are already overweighted by about two sizes (when checked on digi scales) but have a beautiful presentation. If your tight for space and throwing big fly’s then the OPST Micro Skagit Smooth is great with various tips although you need to use lighter line than you think.

Greegs

Reaction score
I would say it depends what your targeting, size fly and how big the river. I really like the Rio Single hand Spey lines. They are already overweighted by about two sizes (when checked on digi scales) but have a beautiful presentation. If your tight for space and throwing big fly’s then the OPST Micro Skagit Smooth is great with various tips although you need to use lighter line than you think.
I didn’t know that about Rio lines.
How can they be over weighted if I buy say a 34gram line??
I take it your talking aftm??

liphook

Reaction score
When I spoke to Mike Barrio he discussed the options of cutting back the tip of said lines to better turnover bigger flies and polys.