simple sunray shadow

Eminem

Reaction score
Very nice tying there Kev. I like the look of the scissors you are using as well. They look strong, fine and razor sharp. What kind are they?

pot belly kev

Reaction score
Very nice tying there Kev. I like the look of the scissors you are using as well. They look strong, fine and razor sharp. What kind are they?

hi mark,sorry for late reply.thanks for flowers about the flee.thought i would do simple ties first,then move onto something with a bit more meat on the bones.mark i got sick of buying cheap scissors and not lasting long just to chuck them away,i then bought a pair of dr slick arow point ones which are brilliant,then one day i somers i seen these veinards fine point scissors,they had longer blades ,great for cutting other stuff further up the blade and the points were the thinest/finest i had seen,even thinner than the dr slick ones,its got an adjustable screw in the middle so u can adjust the tension.these snips cut right into the bodie,thinnest tips ive even seen on scissors yet.i see frodin uses them on his latest dvd(make em swim),think diffrent companys make em.mines are the veinards ones cost was just under £30.ive now got 2 pairs,last pair was getting a bit dull,but theres a chap that comes round to ur home and sharpens them,wow there like razors again,he even managed to sharpen the small blades on the dr slick ones,there now sharper that when i got them mark.cheers bud

kev

colin

Reaction score
Sorry Kev only just seen this, great vid mate can't wait to see the park shrimp one. :):):cool:

fishing sanny

Reaction score
sunrays and monkeys

can anyone tell me the differenc between the sunray and the monkey please:)

Hi Dave
I believe the sunray was designed to fish in the surface film hence they are tied on plastic tubes.The monkey can be tied on various tube material (plastic, aluminium,copper or brass) to suite water conditions.
There are some differences to the tying the monkey properly.
This is the dressing I use when tying the monkey as given to me 2 years ago by a good scandinavian friend, where I believe the pattern originated from.
Original Monkey
Thread - Black
Beard Hackle - Yellow schlappen hackle approx the length of the tube
Underwing - Black arctic fox with gold angel hair over slightly longer than the length of the tube
Second wing - Black hair(goat, templedog or any long flexible hair. The original I presume was tied with monkey). this should be half the length of the overall wing length. eg for a 4" fly this 2nd wing should be 2"
Third wing - few strands of orange Angel hair topped with black hair (4" if you have tied in a 2" second wing) and 2 strands of peacock herl on top.
Cheeks - Jungle cock

Hope this helps FS

dave simps

Reaction score
cheers fishing sanny
things are a bit clearer tying some at the moment just one snag i can see is the peacock getting snapped of cant wait to try some this season has anyone had any good sport with them:)

anton

Reaction score
Orginal momkeys, this is ok. But orginal sunray shadow? It is not this fly ho are tied in this film or?

pot belly kev

Reaction score
hi there,it was olli from eumer tubes flys that showed me this tying of the sunray shadow and he told me that was how its tied but i like the bright blue angle hair for fishing them on the dee.

kev