Simms wading boots. To treat or not?

Isisalar

Reaction score

Got a pair of the above which I can no longer use as my expanding waistline means that the wader socks necessary now won't fit in them. I'm size 9 feet the boots are size 10, socks 9-11.
I'm going to pass them on to a friend, size 8 feet, he'll be using 7-9 socks.
They've been stored in an outside boiler cupboard with good ventilation for the last few years.
Before passing them on should I treat them in any way?
They do tend to shrink slightly when dried out and I wouldn't want to impede them swelling when wet by proofing unnecessarily.
Just checked them and there's no cracking etc. Amazing, they must be nearly 15 yrs old.
Anyone want to swap 10s for 11s? Loved those boots.

sgellert

Reaction score
My G3's have some real leather, seems like those do as well ?
That seems to get really dry, so I give them a bit of Grangers Bees wax now and then, which is also kinda therapeutic ;)
I followed this guy, just using a hair drier instead of his heat gun :

clydesider

Reaction score

Got a pair of the above which I can no longer use as my expanding waistline means that the wader socks necessary now won't fit in them. I'm size 9 feet the boots are size 10, socks 9-11.
They've been stored in an outside boiler cupboard with good ventilation for the last few years.
They do tend to shrink slightly when dried out and I wouldn't want to impede them swelling when wet by proofing unnecessarily.
Just checked them and there's no cracking etc. Amazing, they must be nearly 15 yrs old.
Bought my Simms in Florida more than 10 years ago and still going strong.
Also field tested them poolside before coming home as per picture!
I lash mine with dubbin all season and they are still in great condition.
Mike
waders.JPG

waders.JPG

Cyclops

Reaction score
I had a pair of those Simms boots. Great quality boots but they were very tight as i recall, you needed 2 sizes bigger than your normal shoe size. Maybe it was just that model, as ive not found this with latest Simms boots which a size up fits fine.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Indeed, they'd shrink when dried out and be really tight, a day in the water and they were perfect.
My mate is a size 8 so should be just right for him.

hackler

Reaction score
I have the Simms with Nubuck and use a wax treatment on them at the end of the season once they have dried out naturally.

The stuff I used last time was the wax you get with a pair of Doc Marten shoes - worked a treat.

wetwader

Reaction score
Simms G3, leather version, still my favorite wading boot for the roughest conditions.
I always treat them with gun oil after each season. To be exact: Ballistol, made of plants. They don’t dry out while in season use...
But I could sympathize also with wax (Meindl is not far away...😀) and especially the way it is done in the video, which was posted by sgellert. I will try it this way next time.
I guess, using wax and following this procedure will be a very good way to take care for leather wading boots.

sgellert

Reaction score
I'm actually going to try gun oil, since the wax leaves quite a bit of residue, my result never gets quite as good as in the video, but still a lot better (to me) than not doing anything.
In some review a guy described the boots as "feels like dried out cardboard" after a season, which is pretty much spot on, very "crisp", almost feel like its going to crack.
We can compare results in the fall if either of us remember ;)

kingfisher

Reaction score
Bought my Simms in Florida more than 10 years ago and still going strong.
Also field tested them poolside before coming home as per picture!
I lash mine with dubbin all season and they are still in great condition.
Mike
View attachment 45874

View attachment 45874
I was in the Basspro shop in Orlando and was tempted but didn’t know if the bargain price would have been subjected to taxes on way in to the UK or not so left them on the shelf.

clydesider

Reaction score
I was in the Basspro shop in Orlando and was tempted but didn’t know if the bargain price would have been subjected to taxes on way in to the UK or not so left them on the shelf.
I just discard all the packaging and labels for any Simms stuff I have brought back including waders, packed it in my suitcase and never had any bother.
Mike

bluejay

Reaction score
I've never bothered over the years, but could prevent threads from wearing and fraying and later coming apart. The first thing to wear out on mine is always the felt soles so never saw a reason to treat the rest of the boot.

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
I just discard all the packaging and labels for any Simms stuff I have brought back including waders, packed it in my suitcase and never had any bother.
Mike
Yes, that's the way to do it, or nearer Christmas get it sent over as a present, I've done that a few times.

M

sgellert

Reaction score
Simms G3, leather version, still my favorite wading boot for the roughest conditions.
I always treat them with gun oil after each season. To be exact: Ballistol, made of plants. They don’t dry out while in season use...
But I could sympathize also with wax (Meindl is not far away...😀) and especially the way it is done in the video, which was posted by sgellert. I will try it this way next time.
I guess, using wax and following this procedure will be a very good way to take care for leather wading boots.
I finally got around to get a can of Ballistol for my boots. It feels like it's really getting deep into the leather, much more than the wax method, so I think I'll stick to that for now.
The smell is..uhm.. interesting, according to other forums something like sweaty gym clothes, guess it will go away over time!

morphfly

Reaction score
Have had a pair of leather Simms for about 17 years. The studs are as good now às the day I got them! All I do is wet them, if they've dried out, before use.
Morphfly

Markymac

Reaction score

I always tend to buy 1 size bigger for my simms boots and I cant fault the quality they are top notch

silver surfer

Reaction score
Prob a Silly question but how does the water get out of wading boots?

I know folks like too have all the right kit with logo on but would any old boots not do the same job, could a big pair of oversize chunky trainers not also do the job?

Being price sensitive I would need a fair bit of persuading too buy a pair of boots for what appears a the price of a pair of waders/rod

Recently bought stocking boot waders and have been using a pair of old oversize workboots but was thinking of cutting/drilling holes in them but can't see on the taylor made ones how the water gets out.

Rennie

Reaction score
Carefull with any old footwear silver surfer. For a start, the soles might not be up to much, while fine on dry land, the grip they offer in water could be quite pathetic, you'd be lucky to get studs into most footwear without them impacting into wader socks and feet.
Secondly, good wading boots offer considerable protection to feet and ankles, both protecting and bracing!, some thing a lot of people seem to forget and its an essential part of a good wading boot.
Most good boots will have some form of draining or venting water out them, usually pumped out by the action of the feet whilst walking.
Also the materials they're made of will resist the advances of most of their life being immersed in water or at least being wet in the garage/car. Stiching materials may well be susceptible to water immersion damage over shorter periods of time for non suitable footwear as well!.
Be careful cutting holes in boots, yes it will let water out, but it'll let grit, small stones and sand in, that'll impact wader feet life!
Honestly, good footwear is just about as important as it gets for the Salmon Angler, your life in reality will depend on them!
Just think about it, next time your waist deep in a rocky bouldery wade.
Pedro.

silver surfer

Reaction score
As ever, You make good points so I need to get some felt and some studs for my boots and make sure I don't go right through the base with them. The oversize pair of boots I have were actually a very expensive pair of work boots, prob dearer than them fancy taylor made jobs.

Tbh I have been wanting to have a test of my swimming ability with waders on , not sure I could do much these days and want to practice floating on back.

Used to like getting in about the boulders,and love pushing it a bit, in fact quite like it in a decent flow feet hardly touching the bottom, just bobbing downstream, very therapeutic. maybe look for a pair of pwopper boots as am no spring chicken now, was struggling hauling out and up a grass bank other day.

How much is them s*mms? ;)

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Prob a Silly question but how does the water get out of wading boots?

I know folks like too have all the right kit with logo on but would any old boots not do the same job, could a big pair of oversize chunky trainers not also do the job?

Being price sensitive I would need a fair bit of persuading too buy a pair of boots for what appears a the price of a pair of waders/rod

Recently bought stocking boot waders and have been using a pair of old oversize workboots but was thinking of cutting/drilling holes in them but can't see on the taylor made ones how the water gets out.
I have had a pair of Simms guide boots for 10 years plus, and all that has gone on them is the insole cracked in both feet, a pair of decent insoles and the are still very usable. They came with studs already fitted, which are still good, and are far better than the current Simms studs, which are 'Pee Poor IMHO.' They cost me just over a £100, and so at around £10-ish a year I am not complaining....just price of a couple of flees or a versitip / year ?
I have the G3 boots as well, bought in JN's sale, £130, which I am well happy with, and have had no problems with in 3 seasons. The biggest difference for me is the weight...the G3's are so light in comparison, and don't feel like 'Divers Boots' after a long session.
Interested in this thread as feel a bit guilty just leaving the old ones sat in their bag untreated...keep thinking I need to do something to maintain them, but just not sure what is best ?
Work boots would be false economy IMHO, as used to work in 'Caps' in wet conditions, and they would start falling to bits in very little time...then got issued cap wellies, and after a few weeks of, 12 hr shift use my feet started falling to bits?:rolleyes:

The only Simms kit I own are boots, and a vest, (Which I never use now? Too many pockets), but great believer in paying for quality in the right places...every time I have tried to cut corners quality/cost wise...it has always bit me !

Mel....

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
I personally wear the Simms Headwaters boots, both Felt and studs and Vibram and studs versions. Not the most expensive of the Simms wading boots, but excellent value and they do the job, just like it says on the tin!.
Were I you try Norris or Fawcette's, ring them up and ask for a price, you could be pleasantly surprised.
As ever you do get what you pay for, some times it's realising that!
Pedro.