Simms made in Bozeman Montana... aye right!

Speytime

Reaction score
_20181114_135513.JPG
The label of my simms pro shell... MADE IN CHINA
I'm no geography expert but I'm pretty sure China is no where near Bozeman Montana.

Surely there dealings in this country "UK" needs looking into.

Al

Tyke

Reaction score
I believe only the top-end waders are made in Montana, the cheaper ones, the jackets, other clothing, & certainly the wading boots are made in China or other Far eastern countries.

My new G3 Boots [& the previous ones] certainly are anyway.

Regards, Tyke.

Speytime

Reaction score
I believe only the top-end waders are made in Montana, the cheaper ones, the jackets, other clothing, & certainly the wading boots are made in China or other Far eastern countries.

My new G3 Boots [& the previous ones] certainly are anyway.

Regards, Tyke.
It cost me £470 on offer "allegedly" I thought it was top end?
Pro dry\shell I think it called?
Al

Tangled

Reaction score
Ha, you've got to love that.

SIMMS. Is a luxury brand, if they want to keep their massively overpriced products still selling at vastly inflated prices they're going to have to be very careful about their reputation.

They should at least be able to stitch the bloody things together themselves if they do nothing else.

Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with stuff made in China - iPhones do ok - but really, don't lie about it.

offshore

Reaction score
It cost me £470 on offer "allegedly" I thought it was top end?
Pro dry\shell I think it called?
Al

I wonder what the cost of manufacture is for an item like that?

I couldn't belive the price of fishing bags/holdalls in this years Sportfish catalogue - I think (some) anglers have become as bad as women paying a fortune for designer handbags; an average product with a very expensive label.

At the other end of the scale I think the west will end up paying a high price for the benefit of cheap Chinese christmas lights.

We have allowed them to expand and develop, via exporting goods freely to us. It will cost the West a fortune fighting wars against them within a decade or so - and we might not win. Just a random cheerful thought.

Last edited:

Speytime

Reaction score
Ha, you've got to love that.

SIMMS. Is a luxury brand, if they want to keep their massively overpriced products still selling at vastly inflated prices they're going to have to be very careful about their reputation.

They should at least be able to stitch the bloody things together themselves if they do nothing else.

Not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with stuff made in China - iPhones do ok - but really, don't lie about it.
Im not going to say I've read that everything is made in America, but all the wader/boot boxes, labels all imply there made in Bozeman Montana.
I wrongly assumed they were!

Offshore...
I don't want to even think about the cost of production, I'd probably loose sleep over it ?

Al

Last edited:

butler

Reaction score
Simms waders

View attachment 33552
The label of my simms pro shell... MADE IN CHINA
I'm no geography expert but I'm pretty sure China is no where near Bozeman Montana.

Surely there dealings in this country "UK" needs looking into.

Al

I might be wrong but I think all there European products are made in China. This is why Simms USA won't Horner European warrants

Last edited:

Speytime

Reaction score
Afaik the pieces/panels are made in the East then shipped to America for putting together, that allows them to say made in America ?? lawfully.

Al

Rennie

Reaction score
There a world of difference between made in USA/UK and assembled in USA/UK. Diawa have been doing it for years.fly rods etc have a thistle on them, implying Scottish made(well the factory is in Wishaw!),but the coarse fishing gear has the Union Jack on it!.
Cheeky eh!.
Pedro.

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
Simms G-tex

I used to work for Gore-Tex at the Livingston plant on the laminator ,we made G-tex for the MOD,Police,Fire Brigade,Berghaus,Phoenix,etc I was made redundant in 2000 and in 2001/2002 the management sent engineers out to China to help set up a new plant,a few years later Livingston shut down.All production being moved to China.....I think the G-tex fabric is made in China and shipped to Europe and the USA although the fabric is also made in America.....I see Hardy advertising Built in England ,aye right but probably made in Korea.....and the great British Triumph Bonneville twin made in England,no now made in Thailand :wow:

fachabala

Reaction score
If it says on the "label " made in USA then the "LABEL " probably has ,the rest is certainly up for debate IMHO ,,,lol.

liphook

Reaction score
Anyone buying high desire fashion brands like Simms from a UK retail shop thinking they are not largely buying into a chain of handling, bouncing, marketing/product placement wants their head (and/or tax return?) checking. Once good - like so many 'desirable legends' like Hardy, Abu etc etc - they have been drawn into in the smoke and mirrors of largely trading on past glories whilst increasingly cutting corners. There is just so much of this "made in/designed in" marketing bullocks in our consumerist global village market. It's not just tackle it's almost all non-essential/niche/luxury goods. The 'model' works on doubling through on each outlay at every stage possible whilst accounting for losses in taxes paid where forced to ie not offset/avoided/ written off. £500 MRP often has as a lower than $50 gate cost at the point of manufacture. The costs of packaging, shipping, warehousing, distributing, showcasing, marketing etc throughout these stages add up. Take a look at the likes of Maxcatch who now avoid most of the 'branded' multipliers by selling almost direct to the end user (although at a hiked up profit margin that makes the whole 'non branded sell' far more worthwhile for the manufacturer and their agents) you'll soon see the 'markup' levels involved. Unfortunately two quite negative things usually happen - QC can be allowed to slip for a given product whilst R&D stagnates. Meanwhile the OEM waits for the next hot item to clone on the back of someone else's attractions

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Simms G-tex

I used to work for Gore-Tex at the Livingston plant on the laminator ,we made G-tex for the MOD,Police,Fire Brigade,Berghaus,Phoenix,etc I was made redundant in 2000 and in 2001/2002 the management sent engineers out to China to help set up a new plant,a few years later Livingston shut down.All production being moved to China.....I think the G-tex fabric is made in China and shipped to Europe and the USA although the fabric is also made in America.....I see Hardy advertising Built in England ,aye right but probably made in Korea.....and the great British Triumph Bonneville twin made in England,no now made in Thailand :wow:
Couldn't agree more....but before we start beating up the Chinese...we should remember who took all our expertise / technology out there ...to maximise their margins ?...It wasn't all nicked....Western business management / owners couldn't shift it out there fast enough....it was never going to end well for working people.
More than a few of us lost our jobs to cheaper labour around the world.....thanks to business greed ?
They are quick to ask for Loyalty...but the only loyalty they show is to themselves !

:devilish: On buying my first 750 Honda four in 1978....I used to get a lot of stick from my Bonnie, Norton, BSA, riding mates...is it running yet, bloody sewing machines...one of my favourite ripostes was ....reminding them that Triumph was originally founded by two...Errr.. Germans ?
Another favourite was...as they were flying off in all directions...following a kick back from the kick start , especially the Norton lads...as I hit the electric start button....I would ask ...loudly....have we all got our spare Zenna Diode with us then, we best get on whilst you still have oil in it?
Then set off like the clappers....whilst the going was good !:D

Mel....

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
Couldn't agree more....but before we start beating up the Chinese...we should remember who took all our expertise / technology out there ...to maximise their margins ?...It wasn't all nicked....Western business management / owners couldn't shift it out there fast enough....it was never going to end well for working people.
More than a few of us lost our jobs to cheaper labour around the world.....thanks to business greed ?
They are quick to ask for Loyalty...but the only loyalty they show is to themselves !

:devilish: On buying my first 750 Honda four in 1978....I used to get a lot of stick from my Bonnie, Norton, BSA, riding mates...is it running yet, bloody sewing machines...one of my favourite ripostes was ....reminding them that Triumph was originally founded by two...Errr.. Germans ?
Another favourite was...as they were flying off in all directions...following a kick back from the kick start , especially the Norton lads...as I hit the electric start button....I would ask ...loudly....have we all got our spare Zenna Diode with us then, we best get on whilst you still have oil in it?
Then set off like the clappers....whilst the going was good !:D

Mel....
Don't talk about Zenner diodes ,took me a month to track this problem down .....I must say I miss kick starting the bike,more of a man thing lol

lowforcefly

Reaction score
All the Trumph Bonnie riding lads used to carry a spare diode.....and a socket to nip the head down every 70 miles, bottle of oil, cuddly teddy, sliding doors, etc ?:giggle:
I got rid of a Norton commando because no matter what we did to it, we could not stop it kicking back....left me with a limp on more than one occasion....loved me Nortons....but just weren't reliable !
That Honda 4, 750 F2 supersport, did @ least 36000 miles for me, including 7 European trips around the Alps, Tirol, Dolomite's, and all that went wrong was a plug cap failed in Southern Germany, and that was an NGK waterproof unit I used to retro fit to all my jap bikes ? Didn't like the thin air on the high mountain passes though ?:(

Mel.....

Last edited:

Speytime

Reaction score
Simms G-tex

Never mind then, very helpful ?

Last edited:

JACK POWER

Reaction score

Pity this lot don't do waders but they make the best wading jacket I've had .... in Scotland!!!