Simms G3 waders

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
I'm sure this subject has been touched on before but
my current Redington Sonic waders are getting close to retirement after 5/6 faithful years couldn't fault them at all,
I have my eye on and have tried on a pair of Simms G3 guide
waders in the newer shadow green colour I like the idea of goretex and the fit is good
So wondering if anyone has opinions/experience with them.
My dislike is the position of the two belt loops which are more to the front than side seem a bit low and also any thoughts on the neoprene gravel guards vs the usual type
Thanks
PBP

Rennie

Reaction score
I've just returned to the Simm's fold after some years away.I had two pairs of G3's.The first were legendary in every aspect, the second were considerably different compared to the 1st pair in the sake of progress and let me down badly as indeed did Simm's.
However my return to the fold- after Reddington and Guideline- has been with G4Z's.You do get what you pay for and thats an awful lot of wader!
One of the most important aspects of wader owning is the fit, which with Simm's and the G3's you should get waders that fit every aspect of your body/legs/feet etc- it does matter. Unstressed waders last longer and your less likely to stress seams or rub away at seams with a baggy too big fit.Feet that are too big are a pain having extra neoprene squashed up inside your boots.
Lets be honest, you can get bad waders in every price range, or walk straight into a barbed wire fence 1st day out.
As I wear Simms wading boots the neoprene gravel guards are perfect, but I can't see why they shouldn't be any way.
Out of two pairs of neoprene, two pairs of G3's and a new pair of G4's, I'm ahead of the game.The zip front sold the G4Z's for me over the G4's, but yes go ahead, confidently they are a good wader!.
Pedro.

phil.b

Reaction score
I've just returned to the Simm's fold after some years away.I had two pairs of G3's.The first were legendary in every aspect, the second were considerably different compared to the 1st pair in the sake of progress and let me down badly as indeed did Simm's.
However my return to the fold- after Reddington and Guideline- has been with G4Z's.You do get what you pay for and thats an awful lot of wader!
One of the most important aspects of wader owning is the fit, which with Simm's and the G3's you should get waders that fit every aspect of your body/legs/feet etc- it does matter. Unstressed waders last longer and your less likely to stress seams or rub away at seams with a baggy too big fit.Feet that are too big are a pain having extra neoprene squashed up inside your boots.
Lets be honest, you can get bad waders in every price range, or walk straight into a barbed wire fence 1st day out.
As I wear Simms wading boots the neoprene gravel guards are perfect, but I can't see why they shouldn't be any way.
Out of two pairs of neoprene, two pairs of G3's and a new pair of G4's, I'm ahead of the game.The zip front sold the G4Z's for me over the G4's, but yes go ahead, confidently they are a good wader!.
Pedro.
Spot on Rennie ,it's Simms for me every time because the fit is second to none.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I've had the G3's for the last 5 years and they are a very comfortable wader which fit me really well. I have had a few pin hole leaks in the last year or 2 which I still haven't sorted properly.
Only issue I have with them is trying g to get them off at the end of the day. They are a tight fit around the ankle and take a bit of pulling to get them off. Overall happy enough with them.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

HMarquis

Reaction score
G3s are very good, I'd also throw in the new Classic Guide waders. Goretex wader with seamless reinforced layering on the legs! Look very robust and they are cheaper than the G3s..

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
Thanks gents for your replies plenty of positive info there.
G3s probably my choice but waiting to try the right size in the G4Z at wee bit over budget but hey you never know