Simms boots

madmax

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with Freestone boots? I’m 2 seasons in and the felt sole has came away on one of the boots ?‍♂️

sgellert

Reaction score
I have two pairs of those, both being used for seatrout on the beach. Oldest is about 5 years old, the newest about two.
They've both worked fine. Both are felt sole btw. Reason for two pairs is one has spikes, the other doesn't.

westie4566

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with Freestone boots? I’m 2 seasons in and the felt sole has came away on one of the boots ?‍♂️
I'm in season three with mine, fantastic boots! I fish A LOT!! In a normal season (obvs not this year, lol) mine never get the chance to dry out!!

That said I'm sure the felt soles on mine will come loose at some point, they all do no mater of make.

It's a pretty simple job to use something like Evostick to get them back on and working again. If the felt is worn, then just by a new set of felts.

It always amuses me when folk complain about felt soles coming loose, especially bearing in mind what we put them boots through!

I don't mind having my work brogues' re healed a couple times of year (driving wear) and re-soled once a year, general wear and tear.

For me it's just like servicing a car! Would you buy a car and expect it to just go on without an oil change?

So. Madmax, do your 'oil change' :pon your boots and I'm sure they'll give you many. many more years of sterling service (y)

D

Deleted member 11237

I think I've had 4/5 seasons out of mine and they are still going strong. I have actually just fitted some simms studs and the soles looked in good nick for the miles I have done in them. I would buy them again. Maybe you just had a bit of bad luck, it happens.

Handel

Reaction score
I am not a Simms fan. Much of their product is over priced and often of poor quality. Except when it comes to boots. I have tried various other makes and always come back to them. I recently had one pair of felt soled Freestones re soled because I had worn the felt out completely. They are over 12 years old.

Byron - there are a couple of threads on here discussing studs. Have a look then you will be prepared when your Simms studs wear out. That will be soon. More expensive rubbish.:(

Rrrr

Reaction score
One of my pairs of simms boa boots are starting to come apart at the soles. They have had a load of use though and i just stuck them back on again

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Down & Across

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a new pair of boots. Has anyone tried the new Simms flyweight boots? I tend to cover the miles so thought these might be appropriate.

sgellert

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a new pair of boots. Has anyone tried the new Simms flyweight boots? I tend to cover the miles so thought these might be appropriate.
Yeah, I bought a pair of flyweights, to use instead of a pair of G3 during the summer. Only used once, but very nice with the low weight and very comfortable.
Hm, I just realized I have 4 pair of wading boots, is that too many ? ;)

Rennie

Reaction score
Down&Across, if your only going to have one pair of boots for your fishing, the last type you'd want would be fly weights.Unless you fish primarily over sand, shingle or mud, they won't last.Yes they'll be light to walk in, but will offer zilcho protection to your ankles and feet!.
Forgive my forthright attitude, but if your worried about walking with 8 ozs or a bit more extra on each foot, time for a motorised mobility scooter,lol.
Wading boots are like a hook!, they keep you connected to the river bed-upright- and keep you dry as well as affording protection to your feet and ankles, much like a good hook will keep you connected to Salar.
Its been said by many, if you only ever buy one item Simms, then buy the wading boots.You do get what you pay for and they will protect you and keep you upright n dry!.
Pedro

Down & Across

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro. I take your point. At the end of the day, wading boots are meant to provide protection and keep you sure-footed!

allysshrimp

Reaction score
I just bought my 4th pair o Freestones last season. I have never had any issues with them and they are heavily used.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Another vote for the Freestones. I am on my 4th season with the latest pair and ill buy another pair when these are done, with heavy use and walking, they are holding up well apart from slight cracking on the leather uppers but nothing terminal

D

Deleted member 11237

I am not a Simms fan. Much of their product is over priced and often of poor quality. Except when it comes to boots. I have tried various other makes and always come back to them. I recently had one pair of felt soled Freestones re soled because I had worn the felt out completely. They are over 12 years old.

Byron - there are a couple of threads on here discussing studs. Have a look then you will be prepared when your Simms studs wear out. That will be soon. More expensive rubbish.:(

I went out today for the first time with the simms studs. A bit of a walk on tarmac and they are pretty well worn already. Thanks for the heads up.

Rrrr

Reaction score

Their bags are good quality but it could be argued that you could shop around and find similar quality for abit less money.

kimbo

Reaction score
My felt soles came away middle of a fishing trip, I just glued them back on with evodtick and they've been ok ever since. Best boots I've had.
Apart from the leather safety boots that I bought for £26 and are mid way through their second season good as new

Handel

Reaction score
Their bags are good quality but it could be argued that you could shop around and find similar quality for abit less money.

I bought one of their backpacks about ten years ago. It lasted about 4 weeks use and then fell apart. It was clearly an experimental design as they took it back without argument and refunded my money. I bought the equivalent from Patagonia which is still going strong and cost half the price.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I bought one of their backpacks about ten years ago. It lasted about 4 weeks use and then fell apart. It was clearly an experimental design as they took it back without argument and refunded my money. I bought the equivalent from Patagonia which is still going strong and cost half the price.
Ive got a couple of the last model ones and they seem pretty well built. Im not so sure they make them in house though as my simms rucksack has alot of very similar features to deuter one ive got for hill walking.

natashafarhannf

Reaction score
Ive got a couple of the last model ones and they seem pretty well built. Im not so sure they make them in house though as my simms rucksack has alot of very similar features to deuter one ive got for hill walking.

sound like they are good