Silver Wilkinson (longtail) video step by step

easky

Reaction score
The ‘Wilky’ is one of those love or hate ‘marmite flies’… you either get on with it or not. It’s a personal favourite of mine in both the traditional Irish Shrimp style and in this longtail version which I have started to tie and use as well.

Silver Wilkinson (longtail) fly tying demo - YouTube

And as they say the proof is in the pudding – here's one from a couple of weeks ago on the longtail

Last edited:

SP8

Reaction score
I tied one on the carp hook we mentioned Easky and gave it a swim in the Ribble last week. Looked good in the water. If I ever get myself sorted I will tie a couple more on the carp hook and post them.

SP8

SP8

Reaction score

My effort on a Korda Longshank X size 8. The tail is bucktail with cashmere goat and arctic runner over. As you can see my arctic runner is a differnet shade of magenta to the other two. Veniards magenta runner seems to be more of a pinky magenta. The fish don't mind as thats what I've been using in my Calvins. I quite like the two tones in the tail of this one.

SP8

easky

Reaction score

My effort on a Korda Longshank X size 8. The tail is bucktail with cashmere goat and arctic runner over. As you can see my arctic runner is a differnet shade of magenta to the other two. Veniards magenta runner seems to be more of a pinky magenta. The fish don't mind as thats what I've been using in my Calvins. I quite like the two tones in the tail of this one.

SP8

Looks spot in and I agree, the two tone in the tail gives a nice contrast :)

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Very nice flies I use a lot of long tails on my flies and they work very well even tied seatrout ones up and they are working brilliant had a good few last night well done ;) it's a hit and miss fly the wilky try a claret tail ;)

Last edited:

Markymac

Reaction score
The ‘Wilky’ is one of those love or hate ‘marmite flies’… you either get on with it or not. It’s a personal favourite of mine in both the traditional Irish Shrimp style and in this longtail version which I have started to tie and use as well.

And as they say the proof is in the pudding – here's one from a couple of weeks ago on the longtail

Beautiful fly and very well tied

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Just watched it - Andrew is an awesome tier - makes everything look so easy- got a few good tips from this - and think I’ll be giving the silver wilky a go soon - another for the list ( just need to get some JC or its back to finding an old fly I don’t like and plucking its eyes out ???)

Greys007

Reaction score

Lovely tyings easy ?