Shooting Line

Springer

Reaction score
Easy isn't it:eek:
It is great that nowadays we can get free tuition on line rather than having to pay for a DVD. Good stuff.

Its interesting to see this clip has had 2 posts and a good few likes today, especially considering it almost 2yrs old. It just shows how much info gets quickly lost on here and sits just waiting to be discovered again

Grahama

Reaction score
I have a habit of still holding line in the top hand , now I know I don't need to ! Simple explanation without words!

Paul White

Reaction score
Alan

Great video which, like others, I'd not seen!!:confused:

By holding the loops clenched to the bottom handle and the line not being held at all with the top hand I presume this gives far better shooting line control,?

I mean, one thing I get not quite right at times is letting go of the line under the top hand at the correct instant, usually a mite too soon.

Paul

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
Alan

Great video which, like others, I'd not seen!!:confused:

By holding the loops clenched to the bottom handle and the line not being held at all with the top hand I presume this gives far better shooting line control,?

I mean, one thing I get not quite right at times is letting go of the line under the top hand at the correct instant, usually a mite too soon.

Paul

The point of trapping the line with the bottom hand below the reel Paul is that it effectively doubles the distance between the release point of the line and the first stripping ring.

In turn this doubles the amount of time the running line coils have to sort themselves out before hitting that first stripper ring, this helps to reduce the dance of a tangle.

As for your problem of letting go too soon, remember the term stop and drop, stop the rod then drop the line.

Paul White

Reaction score
The point of trapping the line with the bottom hand below the reel Paul is that it effectively doubles the distance between the release point of the line and the first stripping ring.

In turn this doubles the amount of time the running line coils have to sort themselves out before hitting that first stripper ring, this helps to reduce the dance of a tangle.

As for your problem of letting go too soon, remember the term stop and drop, stop the rod then drop the line.

Like that, "Stop and Drop", there's simplicity in everything when you get it right!!

Paul

Torrish

Reaction score
I am new to shooting heads and still have the habit of holding my running line on the top of the rod handle, just the way I did with my DT lines. At times when making he cast I am prone to my running line slipping, could be just way the way I hold it with my upper hand.

Would holding the running line on the bottom part of the handle go a great way to stopping the shooting line slipping when I make a cast, you'll know the answer to that one Alan

Last edited:

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
I am new to shooting heads and still have the habit of holding my running line on the top of the rod handle, just the way I did with my DT lines. At times when making he cast I am prone to my running line slipping, could be just way the way I hold it with my upper hand.

Would holding the running line on the bottom part of the handle go a great way to stopping the shooting line slipping when I make a cast, you'll know the answer to that one Alan

you could always use both hands to double the effect by holding against the top and bottom handle

Torrish

Reaction score
you could always use both hands to double the effect by holding against the top and bottom handle
I thought about that, whether I can get that coordination with both hands remains to be seen, I will give it a go though, thanks Dexter

Springer

Reaction score

The reasons why the line is slipping could be many and varied, anything from cold hands to thin running line to not holding the rod handle and running line tight enough at the right stages of the cast.

For sure switching to the bottom hand won't make things any worse and could well make them better. As Dex points out you could try both hands for nipping the line but moving the coils to the lower hand will offer more advantage as I described earlier.

Safranfoer

Reaction score

When I broke a finger on my left hand I couldn't hold the running line with my bottom hand - and it did slip more when I held it with the top.

Based on an anecdotal sample of one, you might find you have less problems if you change hands. It seems easier to form a tight 'hook' with the bottom hand.

pond.olive

Reaction score
Grip Aid

I push an 'o' ring onto the handle at the point of grip and then wind a few turns of self-amalgamating tape over it. The ridge thus formed helps to grip the line no end.

TL
Richard

pete

Reaction score
Good video, that's exactly the way I manage my running line when casting with my right hand up, now when I cast left hand up after I've cast the line I'll swap the rod back to my right hand to fish out the cast, I'll then strip in and loop the line with my left hand as I normally do, now when I go to recast I've now my coils of line held on top.... Most of the time everything shoots fine but as has been said Im prone to getting the odd tangle...

Now the question is should I be trying to adapt to fishing out the cast holding the rod with my left and stripping with my right when casting left hand up? I find this tricky to do, but saying that I haven't put much effort into trying.it.... Does many guys do this?
Cheers

Last edited:

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Now the question is should I be trying to adapt to fishing out the cast holding the rod with my left and stripping with my right when casting left hand up? I find this tricky to do, but saying that I haven't put much effort into trying.it.... Does many guys do this?
Cheers

yes i do this!!
its well worth the effort and within a day or even a few hours you will be sorted(just portray a mirror image in your mind)

CWD

Reaction score
This is all new to me but what I have learned is that .. I need to practice more

Great videos on here lots to learn!