Shooting Head Casting Problem

PatK

Reaction score
This is my first post as a newbie, so please forgive any mistakes, but I would be very grateful for any help and advice that the good casters on this forum can give me.
I've just started using a shooting head, Rio AFS 9/10 floating/ intermediate with airflo ridge shooting line on my 14' Shakespeare Oracle XT 9 rated rod.
I can get a decent amount of line out using the underhand scandinavian method but on many casts the fly, leader and end of the line catch on the main fly line and fail to extend. I've tried to watch what is happening and I think that the fly, leader and end of the fly line seems to be below the main part of the line and catches on it as it crosses over from below. I know that the fly, leader and end of the line shouldn't be below and ideally should be a narrow loop with the leader and fly on top. I must be doing something wrong but I just don't know what.
Any advice on what I'm doing wrong would be most helpful.
Many Thanks.
PatK

micky finn

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like a collision loop.
The anchor needs to parallel to the direction you are casting. If the anchor is downstream of yourself and you aim above it the line will always catch.
Hope this sounds clear enough.

paddymc

Reaction score
This is my first post as a newbie, so please forgive any mistakes, but I would be very grateful for any help and advice that the good casters on this forum can give me.
I've just started using a shooting head, Rio AFS 9/10 floating/ intermediate with airflo ridge shooting line on my 14' Shakespeare Oracle XT 9 rated rod.
I can get a decent amount of line out using the underhand scandinavian method but on many casts the fly, leader and end of the line catch on the main fly line and fail to extend. I've tried to watch what is happening and I think that the fly, leader and end of the fly line seems to be below the main part of the line and catches on it as it crosses over from below. I know that the fly, leader and end of the line shouldn't be below and ideally should be a narrow loop with the leader and fly on top. I must be doing something wrong but I just don't know what.
Any advice on what I'm doing wrong would be most helpful.
Many Thanks.
PatK

Does the leader catch on the line early on as the forward cast goes out or is it in the later stages?

PatK

Reaction score
It sounds like a collision loop.
The anchor needs to parallel to the direction you are casting. If the anchor is downstream of yourself and you aim above it the line will always catch.
Hope this sounds clear enough.

Yes it's clear enough micky, but I was overhead casting.

paddymc

Reaction score
If it's happening only in the later stages, then I would be more inclined to think it's a tailing loop.

Ie too much power or applied too abruptly over a short casting stroke. Back off the power a bit and accelerate smoothly to an abrupt stop.

PatK

Reaction score
If it's happening only in the later stages, then I would be more inclined to think it's a tailing loop.

Ie too much power or applied too abruptly over a short casting stroke. Back off the power a bit and accelerate smoothly to an abrupt stop.

Many thanks paddy, that sounds very helpful. I was keeping my right elbow tucked into my side and sharply pulling the but into my midriff.

D

Don CurlyHorny

Too Heavy?

I`d say the line was too heavy for the rod for start, size down rio AFS 8/9 34g would suit your rod better, if it really is a 9 weight. Also if its an intermediate head then perhaps a roll cast then single spey would help you get the line out more consistently

There will be no problem with the line, the rio AFS is the best out there though i personally prefer a full floater with airflo tips. For INT heads try guideline - power taper / RTG......you will be then hitting the other bank in no time !!

No expert btw

Cheolz

DCH

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
I know the rod well and the line he has is fine, that rod will easily handle the 10/11 AFS if needed. Paddy has nailed the problem and has given good advice.

Tailing loops occur primarily because of too much speed over too short a casting stroke. Lengthen the stroke to a backstop position of 45 deg behind and a front stop of 45 deg in front then try to be smooth and progressive with the speed.

Providing you get your stroke length right you can use as much speed as you like as long as its a smooth acceleration you will never tail.

D

Don CurlyHorny

Its all about opinions and trying to offer some help and encouragement through personal experience. As a starting point...... I still reckon the line is too heavy. The rod may well handle a 10/11, but he may not have your superpowers :)

DCH

PatK

Reaction score
Many thanks, Don, Springer and Paddy. Your advice is much appreciated. I also thought that the line was rather heavy for the rod as I have no problems with a snowbee 8/9 floating switch line speycasting.
I will also open out my casting stroke and slow things down a bit.
It's hard for an old three score and ten plus dog to learn new tricks!!

PatK

Springer

Reaction score
Its all about opinions and trying to offer some help and encouragement through personal experience. As a starting point...... I still reckon the line is too heavy. The rod may well handle a 10/11, but he may not have your superpowers :)

DCH

I much prefer facts to opinions Don :D, they make giving advice on here easier for me and more worthwhile to those i give it to.

The 14' Oracle XT doesnt just handle a 10/11 AFS, it devours it and is a very sweet and managable combination for a novice, nothing to do with super powers at all. I have clients who use this forum who I have taught with this combination and it is working very well for them. The 9/10 AFS that Pat has will be fine, the most likely reason he feels its heavy is because a large portion of the head is actually intermediate so is sinking. Sinking lines always feel heavy when they a grabbing the water as they do, even if they are light.

Lines can feel heavy for rods when your not doing things properly, Ive been there myself and have worn the t-shirt. An 8/9 AFS will work on that rod if you are happy to make faster movements but thats not something a novice can do easily while still trying to make the movements accurate.

Ive found these things out by lots of and seeing many hundreds of pupils. Changing lines is not the right answer, learning how to cast the line he has is IMHO. :)