Shipping from USA

Red Spinner

Reaction score
I have shipped blanks.
My rule of thumb is whatever the price (numbers) in $US is what you end up paying in £sterling.

If FedEx ship the package you will receive it quickly the invoice for the Duty, Taxes and disbursment charge (£12) will arrive a few weeks after, apx 20% of the total, you pay that by BACS.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Don’t forget the import duty.
if you can, get a mate in the us to buy it and mail it to you as a present. no tax then.
for a rod unless you can only get it in the states I suggest not botherin. it’s a pain in the Rs if you get a brake etc and want to claim on warranty.

squimp

Reaction score
I used to order lots of stuff (mostly bulk spools of line) for coarse fishing from USA. It was unobtainable over here.

I worked on 27% uplift on the US price, plus carriage, plus admin fees.

Beware the admin fees from some of the courier companies. If stuff is sent USPS it should be cheaper.

If the U.K. post office collects the customs charges, they also charge you for the privilege !

These days I order saltwater hooks from US and that is about all. If they come in small packs they often get through without customs charges. Again USPS is the cheapest way to do it.

Hope this helps.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Don’t forget the import duty.
if you can, get a mate in the us to buy it and mail it to you as a present. no tax then.
for a rod unless you can only get it in the states I suggest not botherin. it’s a pain in the Rs if you get a brake etc and want to claim on warranty.

Duty and Tax is chargeable on gifts if the value is above £130.

All shippers everywhere charge a disbursement fee for collecting Duty and Tax, its not just a UK thing.
In some countries they even make a charge for each page of every form they use to complete the collection!!

Hoddom

Reaction score
Duty and Tax is chargeable on gifts if the value is above £130.

All shippers everywhere charge a disbursement fee for collecting Duty and Tax, its not just a UK thing.
In some countries they even make a charge for each page of every form they use to complete the collection!!
I’ve never been charged.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
I’ve never been charged.

Assuming your statement refers to importing post Brexit and you didnt pay tax and disbursements in the country of dispatch could you say;
What was the value of the item?
Who was the carrier?
Where was it dispatched from?
When was it sent to you?

Your answers to those 4 questions could save £s to anyone wishing import goods or tackle.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Assuming your statement refers to importing post Brexit and you didnt pay tax and disbursements in the country of dispatch could you say;
What was the value of the item?
Who was the carrier?
Where was it dispatched from?
When was it sent to you?

Your answers to those 4 questions could save £s to anyone wishing import goods or tackle.

Note, he did say 'get a friend to mail it as a gift'. Said friend then declares value as £<130, job's a good un.

If you've ever ordered anything from China, like MaxCatch or via Aliexpress, you'll see them declare the item's value for under 15USD (which is the threshold for non gifted goods). I just took delivery of a 11'6" switch blank from China which was allegedly worth 8USD