Shakespeare switch discontinued

Woodsy

Reaction score
Just for information folks

I recently pre-ordered a switch for my father from John Norris and they rang today to say they can't get any more stock and the rod has now been discontinued.

A new model will be on sale in June but they didn't have any more details

Rrrr

Reaction score
Itl be intresting to see what its like.
I hope they havent shot their self in the foot with this one and its improved and a similar price as it seems to sell well.

Also this might mean im one of the few never to have owned one

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

chriswjx

Reaction score
Just for information folks

I recently pre-ordered a switch for my father from John Norris and they rang today to say they can't get any more stock and the rod has now been discontinued.

A new model will be on sale in June but they didn't have any more details

Ah dang, sorry to hear that...

hope the new one isn't going to break the bank... (at least for shakespeare prices 😜)

RUSH

Reaction score
ED49B641-59A2-485A-B79A-349B72B1FCE8.jpeg
they do what it says on the label I have the 6 piece 8/9 with the barrio 8/9 great wee rod

chriswjx

Reaction score
Best value 8/9 switch rod on the market
Yeah, I'm kinda annoyed I didn't get myself one earlier to 😂 I've got the 7/8 and it's a dream to cast as well... interestingly, the shakespeare website describes the action of the oracle switch range as "fast" 😅

Scierra

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm kinda annoyed I didn't get myself one earlier to 😂 I've got the 7/8 and it's a dream to cast as well... interestingly, the shakespeare website describes the action of the oracle switch range as "fast" 😅
All my rods are Medium to Fast actioned :cool:

Gosling

Reaction score
I have the 8/9 which I use at the backend on a small spate river and had a 11lb fish on it last year and it was great fun. But must get barrio line for it, don't know whether to get 7/8 or 8/9

chriswjx

Reaction score
I have the 8/9 which I use at the backend on a small spate river and had a 11lb fish on it last year and it was great fun. But must get barrio line for it, don't know whether to get 7/8 or 8/9

By the official weightings, the barrio 7/8 is on the money for what shakespeare recommend.

Guidance I got from Mike when getting the switch line for my 7/8 is that if you get the size down (ie 6/7 in my case) you still give yourself the option of doing the little bit of single hand work during the day. If you go with the rated weight (7/8 in my case) then you'll get more load on the rod for your spey casting, but you won't really want to try single hand casting it

Gosling

Reaction score
By the official weightings, the barrio 7/8 is on the money for what shakespeare recommend.

Guidance I got from Mike when getting the switch line for my 7/8 is that if you get the size down (ie 6/7 in my case) you still give yourself the option of doing the little bit of single hand work during the day. If you go with the rated weight (7/8 in my case) then you'll get more load on the rod for your spey casting, but you won't really want to try single hand casting it
I have the Shakey 8/9 switch line for the 8/9 rod and it feels heavy for the rod. I would like a lighter line.cheers. just waiting for barrio to get lines in.

chriswjx

Reaction score
So I've just had a Google about the shakey 8/9 line. It's weighed at 25g which is a bit light based on their own ratings... I ignored the spey rating and just go with the SH rating. The barrio 7/8 is 27.5g which will probably fit the 8/9 rod perfectly?

chriswjx

Reaction score
But everyone feels different, and certainly overlining it is supposed to give you a better feel/load. If you are around Edinburgh I've got a 30g maxcatch switch line spooled on you could try

Scierra

Reaction score
I have the Shakey 8/9 switch line for the 8/9 rod and it feels heavy for the rod. I would like a lighter line.cheers. just waiting for barrio to get lines in.
Just pull an a yard or so in through the top ring of the rod , and your line will be lighter, i have the early Shaky 8/9 switch line and the most recent ,I find them perfect no matter how long of a line I cast , if you use poly leaders then you have to compensate how much running line you need out or in from the rod tip

chriswjx

Reaction score
We're safe folks!

Not sure why JN said it was discontinued to you Woodsy. I have replied to that email explaining why the confusion arose, so we'll see.

Screenshot_20210330-075543_Aqua Mail.jpg

Petekd

Reaction score
Just pull an a yard or so in through the top ring of the rod , and your line will be lighter, i have the early Shaky 8/9 switch line and the most recent ,I find them perfect no matter how long of a line I cast , if you use poly leaders then you have to compensate how much running line you need out or in from the rod tip
Agree. The matching oracle switch line to the 8/9 rod I found worked best with the head indicator level with the butt ring and a 5’ poly. Worked really really well that way. Did feel a bit heavy alright with the whole head out the tip ring but with that tweak, casting and turnover was super.

Gosling

Reaction score
cheers Scierra, must try that , working from home today, lol, so be out in the garden later to try it out. Cabin fever definitely setting in

chriswjx

Reaction score
That's interesting.... Might have to have another word with JN 😡

Honestly, the 2nd reply was clear as mud to me though :ROFLMAO:

First reply - okay switch range is still a go and they'll get stock back

Second reply - okay stock is going to come in soon, but they're still replacing it in the "Near Future"??