Would the Rio Skagit max versitip be a good setup
Looking at the ratings - 550gr

I suppose I need a running line as well? or is this an integrated setup

I was using a RIO SHD kit on mine #8/9 520g and it worked well 👍

just realised yours was a skagit 😳

Steve

chriswjx

Reaction score
would have thought a bit heavier would be better? I've just bought the 12'9", and its rated for 34-38 g? And seen folk using the 12'9" casts 550 - 650. I have a maxcatch 600 grain on order to try it out at some point.

I'd found this wee picture last year when I just started getting my 2h gear, I now have the 11' 7/8 switch, and the 14' 9/10 spey as well. Gives the target head weights, with the casting range on the tube for SH or Skagit being +/- 2g or roughly 50 grains. Rod should still handle a bit above and below that though.

boomdocker

Reaction score
would have thought a bit heavier would be better? I've just bought the 12'9", and its rated for 34-38 g? And seen folk using the 12'9" casts 550 - 650. I have a maxcatch 600 grain on order to try it out at some point.

I'd found this wee picture last year when I just started getting my 2h gear, I now have the 11' 7/8 switch, and the 14' 9/10 spey as well. Gives the target head weights, with the casting range on the tube for SH or Skagit being +/- 2g or roughly 50 grains. Rod should still handle a bit above and below that though.
Thanks - I too ordered the Maxcatch Skagit - after I posted my original post I came across that picture as well and realised 550gr was probably too light so went for the 650gr based on the recommendation. Already have a shooting head as well that matches up.
So just need some tips for the skagit and ready to go

After I learn to cast the friggin thing ;)

I also have the switch 11' 7/8 , nice rod

chriswjx

Reaction score
Out of curiosity which tips are you going to get? I'm looking at the 10' airflo flo tips, but I'm struggling to commit when the tips cost as much as basically what I paid for the rod 2nd hand 😅

But equally would rather just pay for a the whole set now and save the £10 or whatever it is over buying a couple now and then

boomdocker

Reaction score
I'll go for the 10' Airflo as well, seem to be the best value out there

But yeah, they are expensive,