seatrout in the salt

midgydug

Reaction score
seatrout in fife

cheerz madkeen, any info on best time of the tides , flies etc. Have seen people at Eden estuary but mostly spinning.

madkeen

Banned
Reaction score
1/2 an hour either side of high tide, flies I have had fish on smallish(10/12) dunkelds and sparklers and saltwater streamer type patterns work.

midgydug

Reaction score
thanks for the info. I'll tye some of them up and hopefully give it a go sometime. Do you use intermediate lines

madkeen

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the info. I'll tye some of them up and hopefully give it a go sometime. Do you use intermediate lines

I did use an inty but dont think it's that important, I know a few anglers were using ghost tips to good effect. If its a small ripple on the water you'll see fish right at the surface and a FOE retrieve seems to work the best.

midgydug

Reaction score
cheerz. I know a couple of boys that pick up the occasional sea trout on bait while fishing for flatties etc in that area you mentioned. I'll ask them where they go and give it a go with the fly. thanks again, tight lines to you.

madkeen

Banned
Reaction score
cheerz. I know a couple of boys that pick up the occasional sea trout on bait while fishing for flatties etc in that area you mentioned. I'll ask them where they go and give it a go with the fly. thanks again, tight lines to you.

Any place between the road bridge and Tayport is worth a shot;)

crashed anchor

Reaction score
i've seen them caught or caught them myself between the bridge and tayport, at tayport about the harbour area, wormit, the wreck and balmerino............but all of them have been taken on baits fished for flounders !! speaking to locals it seems all these areas are popular using spinning gear. also caught them on bait on the other side of the estuary at riverside drive and the stannergate/broughtyferry areas. never seen anyone fish the fly for them and the water is a bit on the dity side !!!

madkeen

Banned
Reaction score
i've seen them caught or caught them myself between the bridge and tayport, at tayport about the harbour area, wormit, the wreck and balmerino............but all of them have been taken on baits fished for flounders !! speaking to locals it seems all these areas are popular using spinning gear. also caught them on bait on the other side of the estuary at riverside drive and the stannergate/broughtyferry areas. never seen anyone fish the fly for them and the water is a bit on the dity side !!!

When the wind and tide is right the water is crystal clear and the fly at stannergate consistently outfishes the spinners.

crashed anchor

Reaction score
you're right off course madkeen, the water is much cleaner the further down the estuary you go. i was more thnking of the wormit-balmerino stretch which has a strong tide over a muddy bottom and is usually a bit "cloudy" to say the least ! i've only ever fished the area with bait during my sea angling days but i have seen sea trout to 6 or 7lb being hooked on peeler crab baits ! i once had two double shots in two casts fishing just below the road bridge. the first a bass and a flounder and next cast a sea trout and a flounder.........nothing like a bit of variety eh !!:D:D i ave heard of people spinning the tayport area over low water and getting good catches. more research needed me thinks !;)

madkeen

Banned
Reaction score
you're right off course madkeen, the water is much cleaner the further down the estuary you go. i was more thnking of the wormit-balmerino stretch which has a strong tide over a muddy bottom and is usually a bit "cloudy" to say the least ! i've only ever fished the area with bait during my sea angling days but i have seen sea trout to 6 or 7lb being hooked on peeler crab baits ! i once had two double shots in two casts fishing just below the road bridge. the first a bass and a flounder and next cast a sea trout and a flounder.........nothing like a bit of variety eh !!:D:D i ave heard of people spinning the tayport area over low water and getting good catches. more research needed me thinks !;)

Yes I wouldn't have believed that the water could be so clear till I was taken down there a few seasons back and as for variety yes bass/coleys/sea trout and a few curious seals, all good fun.